The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

9 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I could ask you the same thing, how do you know? For the most part at the time no one including the TSN or SPN were complaining terribly that the contract was out of reach, many thought it was a fair deal. The only problem with LE contract is he didn't live up to it, not that Benning offered it. Sometimes these players have to be accountable for themselves, he knows he's sucked and I'm sure doesn't blame JB so why would we. I would waive him and let him mentor our boys in Utica or let himwalk away from his contract, No is doing anyone any favors by keeping up with the big club, I'll bet he rides the press box more then he plays and eventually is waived once Green shows management and ownership he's not worth a spot.

I'm confused here.  First you come out wondering how I know (which I never said I did), but then go on to point out that it was a reasonable contract and shoot down your statement I was countering in the first place.  I presented a similar contract situation to support that LE getting a raise at that point in his career was a very reasonable expectation.  He was not on a downward trajectory from a stats perspective, he wasn't injured, and was a dependable top-6 winger.

You are absolutely right in that he didn't live up to the contract.  I never liked Eriksson, but only because he always seemed to score against us.  Taking that away, and putting him with the Sedins', with the hope they would continue their magic from international play, made the signing seem pretty decent at the time (putting aside in-demand UFAs almost always being overpaid).  Therefore, I don't blame JB in this either, and I wonder what happened with LE.  Maybe it was the change in coaching styles, or personality conflicts with Willie D.  Maybe it was lack of team depth on the Canucks, subjecting LE to greater defensive pressure than he had on the Bruins.  Maybe something personal in his life.  No idea, just spitballing here.  Whatever it was, considering why he was signed and what he signed for, he has been a disappointment.

But, based on his role on the team last year, if not the year before, he has done a decent job.  No, not 6M worth, but once the money is spent, what matters is what comes out on the ice, and he is not worthless as a player.  I don't take much of a stand on what should be done with him now when it comes to waivers, because I don't have a clue what would be best for him and the team long-term.  He does play very well, just in a defensive role.  IIRC, if he clears waivers and plays in Utica, it doesn't save the team much (close to 1M?).  I would hope JB is trying to trade him, but if there are no takers, he is stuck here.  I've seen speculation that FA won't pay someone 6M to play in the minors.  If that's true, then JB's hands are tied.  All I can do is trust JB is doing the best he can to rectify the situation.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Maybe, maybe he is easier to trade passing waivers too, and would still be valuable if a top 6 was hurt and he had passed through waivers as other options too 

Don't think so.  If a team claims him they are not going to put him in the AHL at his cap hit.  It's more for younger players who still need some development time where clearing waivers matter - you want them to go to the farm to develop further without being claimed.  That could be a Ho-Sang or Prong maybe even Goldobin but not Baertschi at 3.4M.

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi  - Gaudette - Virtanen

Leivo - Beagle - Sutter

Problem solved.

Thats a nice looking line up right there, three scoring lines and a shut down fourth line. Hopefully Baer clears and Green figures out you can just rely on your top 2 lines to score even if you do have Petey. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Except he has produced from the 3rd line.  Green hasn't had him play regularly with Horvat-Boeser.  He split them up early.  It was Goldobin on their line and Baertschi was with Sutter for a while.  Even last season he was with Sutter-Virtanen after a few games and then Gaudette when he got injured. He started only 8 games with Horvat - he did get shifts higher up as Goldobin wasn't always working out.

Btw Baertschi's PP numbers are better than Leivo or Pearson.  Leivo had 4pts playing PP1 last season in 130 minutes.  Pearson's career high on the PP Is 8pts in 200minutes (3rd among Fs on LA that season).  

While Bo was forced in to a more defensive role... with Baer as an ill fit on a 3rd line. Again, not what the team wants to do. Not how they want to divvy up zone starts/opportunity. 

Yet Baer wasn't on either PP unit...

Look, nobody's saying he sucked. I like Baer. Seems like a great guy and was a decent (though injury plagued) top 6 guy. We've since upgraded with better guys who aren't as fragile. It happens. I wish him well... but all this drama :bored:

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't think so.  If a team claims him they are not going to put him in the AHL at his cap hit.

If a team claims him they cannot 'put him in the AHL'  - that is the entire point of waivers - they have to keep him at the NHL level / on their roster - or re-expose him to waivers.

42 minutes ago, Crimson said:

50 pages... you would think they waived Boeser instead of Baer.

Nah, you'd think this is CDC - where people like their Canucks - pay attention, and engage in the discussion/noise around all these moves.  Virtually any deal / move piles up the pages of discussion.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

While Bo was forced in to a more defensive role... with Baer as an ill fit on a 3rd line. Again, not what the team wants to do. Not how they want to divvy up zone starts/opportunity. 

Yet Baer wasn't on either PP unit...

Look, nobody's saying he sucked. I like Baer. Seems like a great guy and was a decent (though injury plagued) top 6 guy. We've since upgraded with better guys who aren't as fragile. It happens. I wish him well... but all this drama :bored:

Horvat excels in that defensive role.  He talks of how he likes having that responsibility because it was the same role as in London.  Play against the opponents best players and score on the counter-attack. 

Not sure why you believe it's drama.  They decided he was not part of their plans and there was really no reason to even bring him at camp.  I've been saying early on that it doesn't look like they expect him to make the team.

Remains to be seen if they have indeed upgraded. A few years ago Benning was dismissing post-TDL games because teams are resting for the playoffs and others are recalling their prospects.  He justified not reading too much into Etem.  Somehow Pearson post-TDL games are the reasons his spot in the lineup besides Horvat has been secured.  

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If a team claims him they cannot 'put him in the AHL'  - that is the entire point of waivers - they have to keep him at the NHL level / on their roster - or re-expose him to waivers.

My answer was ill formulated.  The post was in response to a comment about having a better chance of trading him once he clears waivers.   Doesn't really matter that he clears for a trade as they wouldn't be sending him down anyway.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Horvat excels in that defensive role.  He talks of how he likes having that responsibility because it was the same role as in London.  Play against the opponents best players and score on the counter-attack. 

Not sure why you believe it's drama.  They decided he was not part of their plans and there was really no reason to even bring him at camp.  I've been saying early on that it doesn't look like they expect him to make the team.

Remains to be seen if they have indeed upgraded. A few years ago Benning was dismissing post-TDL games because teams are resting for the playoffs and others are recalling their prospects.  He justified not reading too much into Etem.  Somehow Pearson post-TDL games are the reasons his spot in the lineup besides Horvat has been secured.  

Sure he does. Doesn't mean you want him getting ALL the hard match ups, dzone starts etc. I, and clearly the team, prefer to have him as a secondary option in that regard should either Beagle/Sutter get injured, not the primary one.

Not specifically you but if you don't think all the vitriol and gnashing on here, twitter etc aren't unnecessary drama....

Well at the very least Ferland and Miller are upgrades over last year and Gaudette's pushing from below. Pearson, sure, we'll see if it was real or a mirage. He does have a history of solid production in LA and far less health concerns.

• Cheers 1