The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Mark my word, Sven coming back sooner rather than later.

Could very well be, or get traded now that he's cleared. I have a feeling that Benning is FAR from done making moves over the next month'ish.

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Mark my word, Sven coming back sooner rather than later.

Agreed.  This is why all of the panic from yesterday and the opening day roster is a little ridiculous.  We will be in the top 5 for man games lost again this year.  Both Goldobin and Baertschi will get a bunch of games.  

Even if Baertschi got claimed, that would have given us over 3 mill in cap space for next year.  

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

kinda vindicates management thinking on the moves, doesn't it? 

Would Loui and Schaller have cleared?  I'm still curious about the "behind closed doors" stuff that Bert alluded to on 650, that went in to keeping Loui and Schaller over Baer.  JB and Green gave the practiced answers, but what really went on?  LE and Schaller didn't have better camps than Baer.  Baer is a far better skater than both, and (if given opportunity) would make a good PK guy too.  There's more hear than we are privy too, as suggested by Bert.  

Thank freakin' goodness. Now I hope Sven somehow takes this in stride and kills it in Utica to earn a call-up. Last time Baer was in the AHL was 2014-15 and he had 15 points in 15 games for the Comets. Hoping he can at least match that now.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Could very well be, or get traded now that he's cleared. I have a feeling that Benning is FAR from done making moves over the next month'ish.

I'm expecting no moves, I mean what will change? JB couldn't make any trades with our bubble guys and I don't see why they'd get more attractive now. I suppose maybe Goldy but I don't see Baer going anywhere. I'm a little surprised ANA didn't take a chance on him but it is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So what happens during the season if/when one of these 3 gets called up?  Do they need to clear waivers again to be sent back down? 

I believe they only need to clear waivers again if they are called up to the NHL for a certain amount of games or time.

Looks like the gamble worked out for the Canucks and they didn't lose anyone.  I'm very sure this was done to set up the waiving of Schaller once Roussel is healthy, barring any trades of course.

I can see teams being more interested in Baertschi or Goldobin now that they have cleared waivers.  In Baertschi's case, a team that might have cap space but may not want to disrupt their roster yet could now trade for him and stash him in the AHL.  Similar line of reasoning for Goldobin except that cap space wouldn't be an issue for him.  Still, having them both in the AHL retains the Canucks' depth.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would Loui and Schaller have cleared?  I'm still curious about the "behind closed doors" stuff that Bert alluded to on 650, that went in to keeping Loui and Schaller over Baer.  JB and Green gave the practiced answers, but what really went on?  LE and Schaller didn't have better camps than Baer.  Baer is a far better skater than both, and (if given opportunity) would make a good PK guy too.  There's more hear than we are privy too, as suggested by Bert.  

yeah for sure they would have. I think Bert was talking within management not getting direct orders from Aquilini. 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Thank freakin' goodness. Now I hope Sven somehow takes this in stride and kills it in Utica to earn a call-up. Last time Baer was in the AHL was 2014-15 and he had 15 points in 15 games for the Comets. Hoping he can at least match that now.

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I would say the Baertschi that's heading to Utica is a better player than he was in 2014-15. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Aladeen said:

I think Utica will have to lose some vets, so I am not sure if a trade is in the works or possibly loaning players to other teams. 

I could live without Banks and Hamilton even though they have been good soldiers over the years. Gotta do whats best for the big club. 

Blown away the Oilers didnt put a claim in on any if the young guys in waivers.  They have no wing depth but let guys like Sven/Sprong/Ho-Sang pass them by.  

Also must feel good to be Comrie.  Go from expecting to spend the winter in Winterpeg to now going to spend it in Arizona.

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I would say the Baertschi that's heading to Utica is a better player than he was in 2014-15. 

He has definitely taken some big steps forward since then. Took a step back though last year with a nasty concussion. I think he will shown pretty quickly he is to good for the AHL he had some nice moves last year on NHLers.