The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Blown away the Oilers didnt put a claim in on any if the young guys in waivers.  They have no wing depth but let guys like Sven/Sprong/Ho-Sang pass them by.  

Also must feel good to be Comrie.  Go from expecting to spend the winter in Winterpeg to not going to spend it in Arizona.

EDM not putting in a claim on Sprong seems like a miss to me. But good, I hate them. 

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Blown away the Oilers didnt put a claim in on any if the young guys in waivers.  They have no wing depth but let guys like Sven/Sprong/Ho-Sang pass them by.  

Also must feel good to be Comrie.  Go from expecting to spend the winter in Winterpeg to not going to spend it in Arizona.

I was thinking the same thing , then i heard some talking head on the radio say that the coil have very little cap to work with.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He has definitely taken some big steps forward since then. Took a step back though last year with a nasty concussion. I think he will shown pretty quickly he is to good for the AHL he had some nice moves last year on NHLers.

Totally. One Canucks forward goes down and he's right back in the show. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm expecting no moves, I mean what will change? JB couldn't make any trades with our bubble guys and I don't see why they'd get more attractive now. I suppose maybe Goldy but I don't see Baer going anywhere. I'm a little surprised ANA didn't take a chance on him but it is what it is. 

Oh, I'm not talking about them.

We still don't have room for Adam 'Earned it' Gaudette given he was a spare along with Eriksson yesterday. And that's before Roussel comes back. I'm not sure there's room on this team for all three of Virtanen, Leivo and Gaudette long term...

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

I was thinking the same thing , then i heard some talking head on the radio say that the coil have very little cap to work with.

They are also at 48 contracts.  Might prefer a trade to move a contract out and not just add one.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

EDM not putting in a claim on Sprong seems like a miss to me. But good, I hate them. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

They are also at 48 contracts.  Might prefer a trade to move a contract out and not just add one.

Yup, I could see EDM moving one of their borderline AHL'ers that require waivers for some of the guys who've now cleared.

I'd imagine we're looking at a similar tactic vs simply picking someone up off waivers (if at all). We'd WANT to send back cap and a contract slot.

Edited by aGENT

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I would say the Baertschi that's heading to Utica is a better player than he was in 2014-15. 

Less reckless though.  He had at least 3 concussions in Vancouver since.  

28 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

It's so great to see fans that wait to see the outcome of moves before reacting immediately and irrationally to them.  

Pretty sure most people didn't like the move because they believed Bae was a better option on our NHL roster than some of the guys we kept ahead of him.

I don't think there was ever a huge chance of Bae getting claimed because Benning wasn't able to trade him for nothing. If a team was really interested in him for free, they would have traded for him instead of risking someone else grabbing him off waivers.

I imagine he's back with the big Club soon, especially once the inevitable injuries hit.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Pretty sure most people didn't like the move because they believed Bae was a better option on our NHL roster than some of the guys we kept ahead of him.

I don't think there was ever a huge chance of Bae getting claimed because Benning wasn't able to trade him for nothing. If a team was really interested in him for free, they would have traded for him instead of risking someone else grabbing him off waivers.

I understand why people didn't like the move, there are 50+ pages saying just that for me to filtre through if I ever forget the reason :P

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-jets-lose-g-eric-comrie-on-waivers-claim-carl-dahlstrom-1.1374633

The Arizona Coyotes claimed goaltender Eric Comrie off waivers from the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday, while the Jets claimed defenceman Carl Dahlstrom from the Chicago Blackhawks.

All other players placed on waivers Monday cleared.

Comrie was a restricted free agent this summer and signed a two-year deal with the Jets carrying $700,000 cap hit. The 24-year-old appeared in one game with the Jets last season, allowing five goals.

The 2013 second-round pick posted a 25-20-2 record with the AHL's Manitoba Moose last season, recording a .917 save percentage and a 2.69 goals-against average.

Dahlstrom, 24, had six assists in 38 games with the Blackhawks last season. The left-hand shot was also drafted in the second round of the 2013 NHL Draft by the Blackhawks.

The Swedish blueliner carries a $850,000 cap hit and is signed through next season. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

But...asset management 

Is still a concern.

If you think they would have waived Bae even if we didn't have roster/cap issues you're kidding yourself.

He's still a cap casualty for a rebuilding team.

• Wat 5

4 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

So are we supposed to have 11 grinders at forward to protect Petey? He’s 20 he can handle himself. Ferland is on his line he’s a tough customer to help him out. We got Benn and Miller who don’t shy away from physical play. If anything Schaller is redundant and doesn’t contribute any offence. I look at every team who’s won the cup the last few years they all had solid depth goal scoring. I don’t think schaller is going to provide any offence.

Schaller can play on the forth line, Sven would get killed in that role.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Aladeen said:

I understand why people didn't like the move, there are 50+ pages saying just that for me to filtre through if I ever forget the reason :P

So then why does the outcome matter when the "outrage" had little to do with it?

43 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not surprised at all. Teams don’t have any room at all this year. It’s more likely that Baertschi could be traded now that he has cleared, but I think he’ll just spend some time in Utica, getting his full game back.

That concussion history will scare a LOT of teams.