The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, kanucks25 said:

So then why does the outcome matter when the "outrage" had little to do with it?

Because nothing was lost and the outrage was that there were lesser players staying on the team, but Baer is still in the organization and can be recalled any time. So those lesser players are not necessarily safe when there is another option waiting in the wings should they truly falter. 

The outrage was that we "let go" or "lost" a superior player for lesser players and since there was no claim there is no loss of that player. 

If he was claimed the outrage would make sense and if you go back and read the last 50 page before the announcement that they cleared a lot of folks thought the likely scenario was that Baer was going to be claimed. 

That might not be the case for you in which case what I am saying doesn't apply to you but it does for a lot of posters. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

That's new. Usually when people here have no rebuttal they just leave a confused face reaction and pretend it never happened :D

Usually when people try to pass off opinion as fact they admit it's just their opinion.  So we can both be shocked

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Is still a concern.

If you think they would have waived Bae even if we didn't have roster/cap issues you're kidding yourself.

He's still a cap casualty for a rebuilding team.

Zero difference to the cap whether it was him or another player waived.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I can’t wait to see today’s waivers transactions. Utica might be a powerhouse this year.

On the other hand ...

1.  In any one game the Comets can dress a maximum of 6 skaters with over 260 regular games in the NHL, AHL and European elite leagues, at least one of whom must have no more than 320 accumulated games.  The Comets will end up sitting some of their veterans.

Over 320 games:  Baertschi, Bancks, Biega, Boucher, Camper, Graovac, Hamilton

Over 260 games:  Bailey, Goldobin

At least three of those have to sit out every game.

2.  I'd be shocked if Biega spends much of the season with the Comets.  The Canucks don't make it through a season with only seven (or for that matter eight) defencemen and as soon as there is an injury Biega will be called up-if he actually makes it to Utica at all.

Last season he also got waived and loaned to Utica-for 3 games.  There's no reason to think it will be much longer this season.

3.  Outside of Biega, the Comets defence is exceptionally inexperienced.  Biega is the only one who even reaches the "veteran exempt" limit of 260 games and as mentioned above I don't think he'll be staying.   Sautner, who provides virtually no offence but is ok defensively, has 201 accumulated games, less than three full seasons in his four seasons as a pro.  Brisebois has 125 accumulated games over two seasons.  The most experienced outside of Biega is Dylan Blujus, who isn't on an NHL contract but rather is heading into his third season on an AHL deal, with 239 accumulated games.

None of the three is much of an offensive threat nor is any one of the three a clear #1 at the AHL level.  All three are ok and both Sautner and Brisebois have had brief appearances in the NHL and will almost certainly get some more this season. 

Jalen Chatfield regressed during an injury plagued 2018-19 season and wasn't effective in training camp this season.  In 2017-18 he'd appeared to be reasonable defensively, though his offence is about as non-existent as it gets in the pro ranks.  He has 94 accumulated games.

Of the three signed as rookies late last season, Eliot and Teves appear to have quite a ways to go to learn the AHL game, while Rafferty may not be quite so far away.  Juolevi has a long way to develop defensively and physically.

I'd expect the Comets defence to struggle with early season growing pains and that the coaching staff has a lot of work to do there.  It's an inexperienced group which may be hurt by the lack of a long-term solid veteran.

Goaltending of course can't be as bad as last season when Demko was only around for 16 games, Leighton for 19 and the Comets went through five other goalies all of whom struggled. 

Presumably Graovac and Camper will be the top 2 centers while healthy.  After that come Bancks and Hamilton, though Bancks is nominally a very low scoring winger.  I'm not sure they have anyone else, other than MacEwen who I believe last played center in junior hockey.  The Comets in their preseason (only 2 games at the AHL level) were experimenting with Jasek at center and if he works out the Comets could be decent at center while everyone remains healthy.  The guys the Comets signed and assigned to Kalamazoo aren't likely to provide much help.

4.  It isn't just Biega that I don't expect to see stay in Utica very long. There will be injuries and it would be surprising to see Baertschi stay with the Comets for long and there will likely be others as well.

Last year quite a few people were really excited about the Comets.  They tied for 25th in the league in pts %.  I hope things come together for them-the fans in Utica certainly deserve it-and there may be some encouraging signs in the early season with Baertschi, Goldobin and Biega (assuming all of them get there-but there are still reasons for concern.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Zero difference to the cap whether it was him or another player waived.

It was an attempt to get rid of his cap, even if there wasn't a large chance of it happening (as I mentioned previously).

Does Bae get waived if Eriksson isn't on the roster?

It was an attempt to get rid of his cap, even if there wasn't a large chance of it happening (as I mentioned previously).

Quite possibly. Then we likely go with 13 F's and 8D as usual and don't waive Biega.

You're still struggling to grasp that he's no longer a fit here and they were mostly trying to get him somewhere he can play minutes. Either on another NHL team via waivers or in Utica (and perhaps a trade after he cleared). Any 'cap savings' were entirely secondary concern.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it was stated that it wasn't a cap move. They put him on waivers because they didn't see a fit with him in our top 6. They also wanted to get him playing time as he's been out for a long time with concussion problems. There was no use in keeping him sitting in our press box, Utica was the best answer here. Management must have known or had a good feeling he would pass through and it looks like they were right. Eriksson being on the team is a non factor to this.

• Cheers 2

Maybe. Perhaps Biega doesn't get waived in this case. Or MacEwen makes the team to instead. It could play out in many ways, can't directly correlate that LE is responsible for the Baertschi decision here.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We actually maximized the LTIR on Roussel, so the management of it is actually spot on.

Teams try and avoid LTIR because it limits the cap space they can bank.  It creates bonus overages and limits who can be recalled.  Under LTIR the performance bonus of the recalled player also has to be covered.  It creates issues to recall prospects like Juolevi who have performance bonuses.  

• Thanks 2

If anyone else here is crying about Baertschi being waived and not Eriksson, keep in mind he's probably the next to go. We're still starting with Roussel on IR. I'm sure Eriksson is on a short leash. If he doesn't pick it up (or maybe even if he does), he's being waived, so no matter what he will have to play his ass off if he wants a spot on an NHL roster. Not to mention, Gaudette still needs to keep playing well if he wants to keep his spot, so the roster isn't even set in stone yet. Not even close. Plus ya gotta think Baertschi and Goldy don't want to be sent down either, but they're going to Utica, so the internal competition with this depth happens to be a good thing after all.

• Cheers 2

From Wiki regarding re-entry waivers:

"Exceptions are players who have played in over 320 professional games (180 for goaltenders) and have not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the past two seasons or 40 games during the previous season."

Sven only played 79 games over the past two seasons, but falls short of the 320 games (has played 285). So that means he will have to clear re-entry waivers to be recalled, correct? Meaning a team can grab him and only be on the hook for 50% of salary/cap hit?