The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, spook007 said:

True... But very funny nevertheless.... :P... let's not be too serious.

I'm delighted he cleared. Not sure if there was a single reason for him being put on waivers, or if was an amalgamation of all the issues... 

I don't think he fits well on the third line, and Benning had earmarked Pearson to play with Horvat.

He has had injury problems, possibly 1 concussion away from retirement, £3.3mill for another 2 years etc....

Could be that he didn't particularly wanted rid of him, and this was the right time to wave him, thus having him for call up in case of injury? I know they say trade talk had been ongoing during summer, but whether he was part of a bigger deal idk....

I'm not.  I would have preferred he gets claimed after all he has been through last season.  

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd generally agree re values and risk (and re: yesterday and roles).

He can certainly still play a solid 2 way 3RW role (with occasional top 6 injury fill in) and possibly excel there (as he has in the past) but problem is, so can Leivo and Gaudette. I'm not so sure he's a great fit on the 4th line however (same with the other two)...would be similar to the square peg issue here with Baer.

That leaves a little wiggle room with Roussel out to have a guy like Leivo filling in there for now. Leivo/Gaudette/Virtanen can potentially rotate those two winger spots until Roussel returns. But when that happens...something's got to give IMO.

Perhaps we can package up one with Baer for something...?

Sadly Baer's a walking concussion poster. I don't think he'll be moved. He sure gave a lot to earn his $$ :sadno:

No way can I see Jake beating out Roussel for a job. 

I guess the mystery of Jake shall continue, but I think if he is moved its on a project-for-project type deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Sadly Baer's a walking concussion poster. I don't think he'll be moved. He sure gave a lot to earn his $$ :sadno:

I guess the mystery of Jake shall continue, but I think if he is moved its on a project-for-project type deal. 

Kind of an outside thought but is it worth it to exchange one player with tools but sub par drive for another?.....coaches nightmare lol.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nowhere did I suggest Virtanen would beat out Roussel. Both winger spots are available to the best two men of Virtanen/Leivo/Gaudette until Roussel returns. After that, it's:

Roussel, Sutter, ____?

I doubt Green/Benning plan to sit two of those guys every night once Roussel returns. SOMEBODY needs to get moved IMO.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

I'm not.  I would have preferred he gets claimed after all he has been through last season.  

I think he'll be back on the big team within a month or two...

He did have a terrible time last year, and who knows, maybe Benning did see it the same way as you.

Thing is he is trying to build us a winner, and I support, whichever move he makes that helps us achieve that.

Its a big call hoping Pearson can continue his form from last season as Bo's winger. If he can't, I can see Baer getting that spot back fairly soon, with Pearson being demoted further down the line.

Time will tell...

Just now, aGENT said:

Nowhere did I suggest Virtanen would beat out Roussel. Both winger spots are available to the best two men of Virtanen/Leivo/Gaudette until Roussel returns. After that, it's:

Roussel, Sutter, ____?

I doubt Green/Benning plan to sit two of those guys every night once Roussel returns. SOMEBODY needs to get moved IMO.

Will we stay completely healthy?  Sadly, the odds are we will have injuries when Roussel comes back.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Roussel, Sutter, ____?

interestingly enough, Jake and AG are being rotated in and out of the 3rd line in practice today. 

Man if Jake could somehow adopt Roussels attitude he'd be a frickin beast. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Roussel, Sutter, ____?

They seem to really like how Leivo plays bumper on the PP and his versatility up and down the lineup.

We will see if that changes between now and the return of Roussel, but as much as I hate to say it, Jake might be the logical choice to come out.

The question becomes do they make a trade or does someone like Eriksson get waived for Jake in the press box?

I don’t want to give up on Jake but if he doesn’t start bringing things together soon he might make that difficult. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interestingly enough, Jake and AG are being rotated in and out of the 3rd line in practice today. 

Man if Jake could somehow adopt Roussels attitude he'd be a frickin beast. 

Or Gaudette's....

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

They seem to really like how Leivo plays bumper on the PP and his versatility up and down the lineup.

We will see if that changes between now and the return of Roussel, but as much as I hate to say it, Jake might be the logical choice to come out.

The question becomes do they make a trade or does someone like Eriksson get waived for Jake in the press box?

I don’t want to give up on Jake but if he doesn’t start bringing things together soon he might make that difficult. 

I think they trade him before they sit him.

13th F Virtanen starts steadily decreasing his trade value. But yes, that boy better get his sizable rear in gear with Gaudette pushing for a spot, and Leivo soon to be competition with Roussel returning.

Adapt or die Jake. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Relieved our guys cleared.  Great depth to start the year although I'd still prefer for LE to be in the appropriate league.

You should be happy then, because he is 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Haha 1

Relieved that Biega cleared.

I think he's the most likely to be needed  given the volume of blueline injuries this team typically suffers - and most of their NHL ready or near ready depth are left handed D (with the exception of Chatfield).   A bit surprised given the weakness of depth of some teams (not gonna name anyone, but I'm looking at you Dubas lol).

Good news for the organization really - feel for these guys not getting an opportunity elsewhere but from a selfish organization-first viewpoint, I think it's good to retain these three assets.

• Upvote 3