The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

If they seriously couldn't trade Baertschi because of his concussion issues, Ferland has had similar issues for years now yet they signed him for four years. Baertschi wasn't even top five in terms of bad contracts that are affecting our cap situation. Probably number seven or eight, and at least he produces when healthy.

I think this is an example of you do what you can. There's no market for Loui. If he is claimed, the cap space will be critical next season, but also useful this season to not have overage penalties. 

Its unfortunate tho, Sven does deserve a better fate, but lets see where he ends up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Baerstchi couldn't crack the top 6. I find it odd that no one would even trade for him though. Maybe they're hoping he slides through with so many teams up against the cap? Green wasn't going to play Baerstchi in a bottom 6 role. Eriksson can play the bottom 6 at least.

Just now, brownky said:

Roussel is fine.

Sutter is mildly overpaid but does a good "greasy" job for who he is.

The other two are a waste of space and I'd rather have Goldy & Baer there instead.

Agree on Roussell. I actually was a fan of the player and thought he performed very well before getting hurt. If he isn't slowed down by this injury, I'm happy to have him at his contract. There are far bigger worries than him. Good 3LW.

Sutter is no longer mildly overpaid. He was mildly overpaid in the 16-17 season where he was still a good 3rd line player. 

In the last two years, he has been awful when healthy. He bleeds goals 5 on 5 while not being a capable puck distributor. His line is cemented as a black hole if he is centering it.

I actually disagree on the Schaller front. I thought he did ok this preseason. Reasons stated in previous post as to why waiving Goldobin instead may have been the better move.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

Hope Baer clears I really like him as a player to bad injuries have caused him to miss so much time.  If he does clear it will put us in a great recall situation though.  Can't see him staying down to long.  Man I really hope he clears.

Hopefully he gets claimed.  His career has been derailed by a stupid hit - don't need for things to get even worse for him.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Not good enough last year? He had 9 goals and 14 points in 26 games. Injuries are the only reason he wasn't on the team last year.

Our team was a bottom feeder last year. Now we add a few pieces and he’s not good enough for our team this year.

sample size.  Anyone can go a streak of 14 in 26.  Challenges is to make it over 82.  On that front , he’s a 35pts career high...not good enough in my book

omg  is there more waivers tomorrow or is this it, baertchi waived over schaller and eriksson is insane. He can actually score 20 goals.  like i think eriksson and schaller  need to be waived i really hope goldobin can make it to utica light it up in ahl. He needs 23 mins a game and earn a spot if we have injuries. As for biega his times up brisebois  is perfect 7th d 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is an example of you do what you can. There's no market for Loui. If he is claimed, the cap space will be critical next season, but also useful this season to not have overage penalties. 

Its unfortunate tho, Sven does deserve a better fate, but lets see where he ends up. 

My point is, if there is no market for Baertschi, then there won't be a market for Sutter, Myers, Eriksson, Schaller and Beagle. Those guys objectively have far worse contracts than Baertschi. On the forward front, Ferland has the same concussion issues Bae does, but is signed for four years so he is probably untradeable unless he goes concussion free for the next two years or randomly becomes a 50+ point player. Not sure anyone would take a stab at Roussell or Pearson at their cap hits either, and this is coming from a legitimate fan of Roussell. Anyways, Sutter, Myers, Eriksson, Schaller, Beagle, Baertschi, Roussell, Ferland, Pearson, and Spooner occupy around $35m of the cap and collectively, you would have to pay more to get rid of that group than you would receive back in a trade. 

It's a whole yikes situation, and the fact that they couldn't get back an asset for Baertschi, who's the most productive of the bunch when healthy says a lot..

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its the only thing that makes sense, even if you don't agree with it, this must be the logic behind it. 

I agree.  If he gets claimed, he gets to play in the NHL and we save the cap hit. 

I wonder how many of the outraged people actually think that we could bury all $6M of LE's cap hit in the minors?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Kick around the idea of PKers, and you see why Baer was forced out:

Motte/Beagle, Sutter/Schaller, Horvat/Pearson

Baer wasn't going to kill penalties, wasn't going to line-up in the top 6 and would be forced into the 2nd PP. No real room for the guy.

I'm also of the opinion that this is a 'feeler waiver' namely to see if anyone would claim Baer. Doesn't necessarily mean he's cut

is Pearson better in the top 6 than Sven? not sure.. both had good chemistry with Bo..