The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

Honestly, this is freakin' insane to me. Aside from injuries, I'd have Baertschi as a better offensive player than either Pearson or Ferland. I think there's a very very high chance he's claimed. I support Benning and what he's been doing, but my knee jerk reaction is that this is a very stupid move. I hope Benning proves me wrong again, but I have a bad feeling about this one.

• Cheers 2

Just now, shayster007 said:

Luke Schenn on waivers. Kinda a shame, he could have probably been on our bottom pair but decided the grass was greener. I liked him

I'm not disappointed because it's not LE going down, I never expected that.  I'm disappointed because Baer played very well in pre-season, is a classy player and deserved better than this, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Forsling has to get claimed. That kid has shown spurts of greatness and is only 23. 

Forsling also plays for the Canes.  They have a pretty deep/good blueline.

It's not like failing to 'make the cut' for the Oilers blueline.   Pat Quinn right now could make that blueline (RIP big guy!).

That said, I have no idea how he has played for Carolina so far.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, this is freakin' insane to me. Aside from injuries, I'd have Baertschi as a better offensive player than either Pearson or Ferland. I think there's a very very high chance he's claimed. I support Benning and what he's been doing, but my knee jerk reaction is that this is a very stupid move. I hope Benning proves me wrong again, but I have a bad feeling about this one.

Have to agree.  Absolutely terrible asset management.  I'm a huge GMJB supporter but this is just gross.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I would be extremely surprised if they sent Baertschi down. Schaller, Goldy, Gaudette and Eriksson go down before Baer

What do you mean?? that's the whole purpose of sending Baertschi to waivers so that if he clears, he is going down to Utica!! 

Not surprised with Goldobin.  A bit surprised about Biega but, then again, he has always been a depth player.  Hard to see Baertschi get waived but someone has to go with Gaudette playing so well and given the fact that the team had to make room for Roussel's return as well, something was eventually going to have to be done.  Per Hirsch, who knows if Baertschi will actually leave the Canucks.

The other part about waiving some of these guys is that if they pass through waivers, then they might actually have more trade value since the acquiring team could send them to the minors right away.  It'll still be hard for Baertschi since he would still leave quite a cap hit even if demoted, but Goldobin might actually have a lot more value.  Assuming Goldy makes it through, I could still see him being dealt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

I get it, we all hate Loui....but when you think about it, LE's total point last year...was 6 less than Baertschi career high.

Not even sure anyone takes a stab a Baertschi to be honest.  Everyone's top 6 is pretty much set...no use for Baert in the bottom 6.

Time to move on.

I agree. Salary sucks big time but Loui clearly fits a role that is still required in the NHL...PK and shut down defensive forward...wish his AAV was $2MM but it isn't so time to move on. 

I don't see anyone picking up Sven given his injury history. He'll be up soon enough when injuries in the top six strike.

• Upvote 2