The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

8 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

omg  is there more waivers tomorrow or is this it, baertchi waived over schaller and eriksson is insane. He can actually score 20 goals.  like i think eriksson and schaller  need to be waived i really hope goldobin can make it to utica light it up in ahl. He needs 23 mins a game and earn a spot if we have injuries. As for biega his times up brisebois  is perfect 7th d 

I remember when Canucks waived Gags ad Aquilini said he was not happy waiving a vet with  certain amount on his contract, I am thinking he probably vetoed Ericksson being waived at 6 mill

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Damn, Gagner. What happened to this guy that he can't even crack the OIlers roster as it is now?

They're not THAT bad up front.  It's behind the blueline (D & G) that stinks worse than when Alf 'cuts the cheese'.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, VforVirtanen said:

Wait? Did we put Schaller on waivers as well?

We did not.

Which is perhaps the most puzzling aspect of this entire thing, as it was clear last year Green wasn't a fan and although he's looked decent in the preseason, it's not like he's not replaceable.

Only thing I can think of is that Green told Benning that Bae won't be in his top-9 and he wants a veteran grindy 4th line so there's no space for him.

It's a gamble. Every team has just set their roster and there is a very long list of players waived to go through. If he gets claimed then they get cap space to potentially be able to take on more cap in a trade or at least have some wiggle room. If he's not then they can recall him immediately if they want or wait till an injury occurs which won't take long. He's not in there long term plans anyways so as disappointed as I am I can accept it.

36 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Honestly I love Baer but I get why he is one chosen. 81games in 2years and he still got 2years at 3.667m

that's a decent amount of money and cmon guys benning defo looked for a trade

Yeah, I don't get why people are upset about this. He's missed more games than he's played in the last 2 years, and even when he's healthy, he's just a complimentary middle-6 winger at best. At that cap hit (more than Ferland), with those injury questions, he simply doesn't have any trade value.

If Baertschi gets claimed, it might start paving the way to clear cap to sign another big UFA (Barrie?) next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Force Gaudette in:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Eriksson - Sutter - Leivo

Schaller - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Gaudette

Our d:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Fantenberg (inj?) - potential other waiver claim

G

Markstrom

Demko

Highly doubt Gaudette made the team just to sit in the pressboxpress box

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I am very sad for Baerstchi.... poor guy just can't stay healthy enough to put up more points... and sadly, he can't really fit our bottom 6 so no room for him. Hope Pearson is indeed worth keeping...

Sutter on the other hand gets injured all the frigging time!!!!!!! but since he's JB's baby, he's safe!

And how come neither Schaller nor Motte got put on waivers???

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

We did not.

Which is perhaps the most puzzling aspect of this entire thing, as it was clear last year Green wasn't a fan and although he's looked decent in the preseason, it's not like he's not replaceable.

Only thing I can think of is that Green told Benning that Bae won't be in his top-9 and he wants a veteran grindy 4th line so there's no space for him.

The underlying numbers indicate that the only time our 4th line wasn't getting caved in last year was at the end, when Schaller-Beagle were fixtures. Those two have some chemistry, and play the style Green wants on that line.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I hope we snag Schenn! More size on the back end, that glimpse of chemistry with Hughes was enough for me..

People tend to forget that the doctors pretty much gave Baer a ultimatum about his last concussion.. If he has one more he is at risk of not playing hockey anymore..

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, I don't get why people are upset about this. He's missed more games than he's played in the last 2 years, and even when he's healthy, he's just a complimentary middle-6 winger at best. At that cap hit (more than Ferland), with those injury questions, he simply doesn't have any trade value.

If Baertschi gets claimed, it might start paving the way to clear cap to sign another big UFA (Barrie?) next year.

The problem here isn't that we didn't trade him, it's that we waived him even though he's a better option than some of the guys we're keeping around. In a vacuum, he's a better player than at least 3 forwards still on our roster.

Chances are Benning tried to trade him for no salary in return ('cause we have no space, lol) and there were no takers. So he's trying this to see if any team will bite when they don't have to give up anything to acquire him (other than the cap space).

• Upvote 1