The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vinyl records and turntables thread

Bbb4416

I have some in a box, would like collect down the road.

Anyone do the 11 albums for 1 cent club they used to have back in the day? in the 80's I think. You were then on the hook to buy another album at full price each month...

I remember I was in my hair metal phase.... I ordered.

Van Halen, Ozzy, Stryper, Bon Jovi, White Snake, Quiet Riot, Trooper, Queen, Bullet Boys, Cinderella, Poison.

Holy frickin' snot....I just remembered all 11. Must have been a big thing for me... They are still in my storage somewhere.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Anyone do the 11 albums for 1 cent club they used to have back in the day? in the 80's I think. You were then on the hook to buy another album at full price each month...

Van Halen, Ozzy, Stryper, Bon Jovi, White Snake, Quiet Riot, Trooper, Queen, Bullet Boys, Cinderella, Poison.

Holy frickin' snot....I just remembered all 11. Must have been a big thing for me... They are still in my storage somewhere.

I did it with CDs.  Couldn't pass up being able to get Physical Graffiti for a fraction of a penny, and boost up my meager collection.  I think it worked out well after I closed the account.  I bought more later, but got tired of sending stuff back.

Can't remember anywhere near the whole list, but pretty sure Thick as a Brick was part of my first order.  I didn't know it was a single song on the CD, I just knew I loved the portion they played on the radio.  No regrets there :) 

Been trying to find my albums, just to see what's in there, to see what I want to get on digital, before giving them away.  They haven't been used (or seen) in 20 years

Edited by Kragar
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, JoGuitar said:

I have a small, but always growing, collection. 

I have a large, but always shrinking, collection. :lol:

Had to pare down over the last few moves and life changes.

I used to be a big collector. Also DJ’ed a bit and did some radio shows back in the day.

Since the kids, not so much. :( 

I think I’m actually down to about a dozen crates now. Most are stashed away in the crawlspace and I rotate a couple crates out every once in a while.

Used to basically need to keep an extra bedroom for storing all my vinyl and gear, but that was back in the good ole days. 

I’m so out of the loop now as to where the best spots are for digging. Can’t really offer any advice.

As for what I have now, I’ve sold and donated a fair amount, but kept most of my favourite new stuff (well, what were new releases in the ‘90s and 2000s). Also kept some of my best used finds, especially those that were rare or mint. Still have some really nice first pressings of early Bowie, Roxy Music, Sabbath, and others.

Used to spend most weekends going around the used bins, thrift stores, garage sales,  and wherever else I could dig up stuff, but that was many years ago.

I have a collection of a couple of hundred albums, some salvaged from a lifetime ago, but many bought from a couple of used record shops near my home in Abbotsford.  Vinyl is cheap, but has great sound - much warmer than digital media. My collection consists about 50/50 music from the sixties and seventies and classical. Much of the classical is of recordings almost unobtainable now. My contemporary music is all digital.

3 hours ago, Kragar said:

before giving them away. 

Check those records for what they are actually worth before giving them away.

Some records are worth nothing more than the joy of listening to them, while others might be worth $50  a piece or more.

Check

https://www.discogs.com/

This site is not just vinyl but equipment too

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/software/vinyl/.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Check those records for what they are actually worth before giving them away.

Some records are worth nothing more than the joy of listening to them, while others might be worth $50  a piece or more.

Check

https://www.discogs.com/

This site is not just vinyl but equipment too

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/software/vinyl/.

Thanks... was going to offer them up to my nephew first, who is apparently getting into vinyl, but otherwise, who knows, this might come in handy.  I can't imagine he wants everything I had.  Probably some stuff in there I wouldn't want to hear again ;) 

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Thanks... was going to offer them up to my nephew first, who is apparently getting into vinyl, but otherwise, who knows, this might come in handy.  I can't imagine he wants everything I had.  Probably some stuff in there I wouldn't want to hear again ;) 

There are record catalogues out there like "Goldmine" and "Jerry Osborne" Record Price book as well.

If it is in good to mint shape and isn't an Air Supply album:sick: it will sell for a minimum of $5 at a swap meet. Rent a $50-60 table on a Saturday or Sunday, stay for a few hours and sell a few records.

My big problem with selling at swap meets is not buying more, new to me records, than I sold off.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Columbia House wasn't it? I hope they are still not waiting for me to order the regular priced LP's!!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Should mention, I had Aaron, down at Sound Hounds, install a new moving coil cartridge for me. A Charisma l-103, which is a great improvement on my previous Denon l-103 cartridge.

Seriously better, as in wow, I've never heard those lyrics before, in an album I've listened to for close to 40 years.