The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to announce captain at home opener (Oct.9,2019)

Rate this topic

cuporbust

35 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Why does this have to be a big presentation?  If you got a captain name him now, put the C on his jersey for the first game of the year then you can do your over the top celebration on the home opener.

I agree, but I'm old school.  In my competitive playing days, you'd leave practice during camp one day, the next day when you arrived back at the rink the jersey's would all be hanging in the stalls and one of them would have a 'C' on it and two more would have an 'A' on them - simple as that, nothing more, nothing less.  

But I think we all knew that Aquaman would milk every single last drop of publicity he could from this 50'th season. 

• Like 2

While I'm not one for huge ceremonies for things like naming a captain, I do believe that it's a big moment for our club and the future of Canucks hockey. Imagine how it would feel being on the team and watching Hank come out to give him the C. Cheesy, but for those guys, it must really been a lot and be a moment they'll never forget. I'm for it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Why does this have to be a big presentation?  If you got a captain name him now, put the C on his jersey for the first game of the year then you can do your over the top celebration on the home opener.

Agree with this 100%. We aren't the Montreal Canadians.  We don't have the old time folklore or history of those teams.

Carolina named a new captain on twitter last week. Get it done.

42 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

This is how I feel about it as well.

Announce it today, hold a press conference. Put the C on his jersey for Game 1. 

Then do the symbolic 'passing of the torch' with Henrik at the home opener.

If there are people in the crowd surprised to see Sedins come out with the loudspeaker going "we have a special announcement to make!", gasping when Bo gets handed the captaincy... then those are not real fans.

Pageantry is one thing, but I think a press conference is more than enough for a professional sports team.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey would make a good Captain.  However, Bo is more Captain material.  

Bo is definitely more seasoned and experienced. I wish him well if he is our Captain!  He showed in pre-season why he is a leader and how he can lead by example. I was impressed thoroughly.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2