Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Oscar Fantenberg | #5 | D

With Edler out Fantenberg is now the #4D and has passed Benn and Stecher. (Don't believe me? Just look up the ice time for the last games.)

Not sure he's suited in the long run for anything more than 3rd pairing, but great depth signing and a big upgrade over DP, Gudbrandson, Stecher etc. IMO.

51 minutes ago, J-P said:

With Edler out Fantenberg is now the #4D and has passed Benn and Stecher. (Don't believe me? Just look up the ice time for the last games.)

Not sure he's suited in the long run for anything more than 3rd pairing, but great depth signing and a big upgrade over DP, Gudbrandson, Stecher etc. IMO.

The thing is,  Stecher and Fantenburg play on opposite sides.  Therefore, Stech cannot play alongside Tanev, so Fant gets the nod.  Whoever becomes Tanev's partner gets the longer ice time.

Now that it looks like Stech may be out, Benn can play both sides, so he will skate with Bris, who is a ld.

When Edler returns, I guess Green will alternate Fantenburg and Benn according to the opposition they play (physicality, skill level, etc).

With all the D healthy, they are definitely a far better unit than last year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

He's looked great. Especially against Carolina

I wonder if he may push stetcher out of the line up as Fantenberg seems to know what to do with the puck in the Ozone a bit better than Stetcher

Bottom pairing of Fantenberg - Benn

Edited by Wanless
  • Upvote 1

I liked Biega , he was good in short stretches of games filling in. I am coming around to Fantenberg being a decent upgrade. Better than Biega ,much better than Pouliot and Delzotto.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, boziffous said:

I really like what I've seen out of Fantenberg so far. He hasn't looked out of place, which is pretty amazing considering he's playing on a new team and didn't get a chance to get in the lineup for the first two months. Seems to play a solid all around game, without being elite at any one thing in particular. Kinda reminds me of Jordie Benn, but with a little more offensive potential. If this is what Fantenberg brings as a bottom pairing/7th defenseman, then sign me up.

For sure, he seems to be playing a safe and steady game but has a heavy shot and a bit of offensiveness to his game.

Kind of surprised he hasn't caught on full time in the NHL if he plays like that, maybe a late bloomer?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Good skater and calm. He's already surpassed Eriksson in all departments. 

Since when is a comparison between forwards and defensemen reasonable? Comparing him to Stecher or Benn would be more reasonable. I liked his game last game too, but stop digging around for every possible opportunity to jab at Eriksson.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, aqua59 said:

I'm unreasonable. 

Wasn't it just great not having to suffer through watching that dud Loui Eriksson. Watching Oscar  Fantenberg getting better and better in only a hand full of games has been a joy for Christmas. 

Of course he's a defenseman and yes i'm comparing him to a forward but he's just that much more effect while on the ice playing his position. Eriksson has now become a stop gap player at 6 million plus a year while  Fantenberg marks his tree. 

When they play Eriksson we all know there's injuries. 

When they play Oscar we see a guy taking his opportunity and running with it. 

The comparison of a hungry young player and a player in Eriksson who's toast and a huge signing mistake that the Canucks have to live with. 

They have to live with fans such as myself "taking jabs" when ever one can . 

-A-J are you sure you're not Mrs Eriksson running a ghost account?  

GO OSCARE FANTENBERG, THE  DEFENSEMAN COMPARED TO A FORWARD.

Edited by aqua59
spelling
  • Confused 2

Many posters have been commenting on Fantenberg's play so I am chiming in. He has been a very pleasant surprise. In the last 3 games he has really shone IMHO. He is big enough to play a physical game and fast enough to throw some nice passes out of his own zone. While I think Stecher and Benn are 3rd pairing d-man Fantenberg has been moved up to a 2nd pairing role and has looked decent in that role. For the amount of time he had to sit before getting into a game he has impressed. 

• Like 1

Im also pleasantly surprised by him. Took him as a Reserve but now i wouldnt be surprised if he knocks stecher or Benn out when Edler returns. Few mistakes and a decent passing play and positioning. Not all can be a 4th forward extraordinaire like Huggybear, so to see a reserve play like this makes him a great addition. 

Another solid game by Fantenberg. How about sliding Benn over to 3RD  and sitting Stecher when they play a heavier team? Stecher's game works better against a skating team like the Oilers. 

• Upvote 2

This kid keeps getting better and as pointed out someone has to come out at some point and i don't think it will be the "berg". 

I might be sticking out here, but while I liked Fantenberg earlier this year, he's been looking pretty error-prone recently to me. I think our winning streak somewhat insulated his spot on our team, but I wouldn't mind seeing Benn being given a game or two, at the very least to send a message to Fantenberg, but maybe also to see if Benn's used his time off wisely.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree. Fantenberg has been ok but also some misstakes which almost seems to be a lack of sharpness. Id like to see Benn in a game or 2. Alternate pending on how they look at practice.