Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Oscar Fantenberg | #5 | D

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I really think TG could use the help of a "veteran NHL" assistant coach on the bench. Especially one that could help with the D core / and D zone coverages.  Baumgartner does not seem to be doing a very good job of correcting or adjusting this shortfall.  Marky covered a lot of breakdowns in the D zone.

Larry Robinson?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Larry Robinson?  

My be past his best before date.  He is 69 years old plus:

In 2017, at the end of his five-year contract with the Sharks, Robinson left the organization.[10] He is currently a Senior Consultant to Hockey Operations for the St. Louis Blues.

With the St. Louis Blues defeating the Boston Bruins in the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals, Robinson won his tenth Stanley Cup championship.[1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

My be past his best before date.  He is 69 years old plus:

In 2017, at the end of his five-year contract with the Sharks, Robinson left the organization.[10] He is currently a Senior Consultant to Hockey Operations for the St. Louis Blues.

With the St. Louis Blues defeating the Boston Bruins in the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals, Robinson won his tenth Stanley Cup championship.[1

IMO we need better, more NHL appropriate, systems.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO we need better, more NHL appropriate, systems.  

Tough call.  They perform better against teams that don't play a structured neutral zone (trap) style coupled with a hard forecheck.  It's the neutral zone turnovers and counter attack that usually begins the scrambling coverage then they seem to breakdown especially in their D zone coverage.  The D men start to run around sometimes usually because the forwards lose their check and the D try and cover.   A large part of this is on the players, but you are right the coaches need to help them. 

I still think replacing Baumgartner with a veteran coach to help TG would be beneficial in all situations, especially one who can take charge of the D and D zone coverage.  I think TG has promise and I think the players play hard for him.  He has not thrown them under the bus even though some fans want him to.  This is huge especially for young players.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Tough call.  They perform better against teams that don't play a structured neutral zone (trap) style coupled with a hard forecheck.  It's the neutral zone turnovers and counter attack that usually begins the scrambling coverage then they seem to breakdown especially in their D zone coverage.  The D men start to run around sometimes usually because the forwards lose their check and the D try and cover.   A large part of this is on the players, but you are right the coaches need to help them. 

I still think replacing Baumgartner with a veteran coach to help TG would be beneficial in all situations, especially one who can take charge of the D and D zone coverage.  I think TG has promise and I think the players play hard for him.  He has not thrown them under the bus even though some fans want him to.  This is huge especially for young players.

Good analysis.  We also forecheck with two guys deep in all situations, even when the other team has puck on stick, head up possession.  Too often we get two (and three) of our forwards trapped behind the play.  NHL players are way too skillful to forecheck in this way.  

• Burr 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good analysis.  We also forecheck with two guys deep in all situations, even when the other team has puck on stick, head up possession.  Too often we get two (and three) of our forwards trapped behind the play.  NHL players are way too skillful to forecheck in this way.  

I prefer the aggressive forecheck system because I hate the neutral zone trap it kills the flow of the game.  But getting caught deep can be a problem.  It's a personal preference for me.  The issue is the forwards need to stay with their checks on the way back and not lose them.   

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I prefer the aggressive forecheck system because I hate the neutral zone trap it kills the flow of the game.  But getting caught deep can be a problem.  It's a personal preference for me.  The issue is the forwards need to stay with their checks on the way back and not lose them.   

We some old, and really slow forwards, who are the worst fir getting caught.  And the trap, or left wing lock, or whatever it’s called is what’s been successful at the top level forever.  The great Russian team of the 60’s and 70’s used it.  The great Habs of the 70’s too.  Even the Soilers with Gretzky only had one guy in when the opponent had puck on stick, head up possession.  No team plays the forecheck like us.  Be aggressive on the forecheck when it’s appropriate, but not when the other team has clear puck on stick, head up possession.  That’s why we are at the bottom of the league for giving up high quality chances off the rush.  We get trapped behind the play, and our D are forced to back in leaving too much room above our circles for cross ice attack.  

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Shows how bad the Benn signing was, when he is worse than Fanta.  And is Myers much better (really) than those two?  

To be fair, I want to give Benn a longer stretch of games to see how he fairs once he's fully adjusted to a new team. Also yes, Myers is a second pair d man on a good team. As I mentioned in his thread, he's been good defensively and his offence has stepped up considerably during the second half of this season.

• Hydration 2

But what happened to Fanta?

did not make the team out of camp and sat until Dec 1

first 2 weeks +7

then some middling play , falls to -3

Last 2 weeks -7

remember wondering how Green had him sitting when he was clearly (not clearly) better than Benn

But after 36 games Benn looks like the better D-man

not great, just better than Fanta

Did Fanta get tired or did the system make him bad?

33 minutes ago, lmm said:

first 2 weeks +7

Last 2 weeks -7

remember wondering how Green had him sitting when he was clearly (not clearly) better than Benn

Typically nhl ahl tweener stuff. Remember how good biega looked for his first 10 after every call up.

8 hours ago, lmm said:

first 2 weeks +7

Last 2 weeks -7

Would that have anything to do with a change in partners? I recall earlier in the season he was with Stecher and then it later changed to Myers.

7 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Would that have anything to do with a change in partners? I recall earlier in the season he was with Stecher and then it later changed to Myers.

could well be