The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-2020 Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Also don’t forget that they started off hot last year too. Riding McDavid and Drai like rented miles can seemingly last only so long. 

They actually started with two losses last year.  This time they're on the right side of a streak.  Levelheaded Oilers fans get that they probably won't grab all the points out of this 4-game road trip, but they got the first two.  Better them than the nervous confidence we have over here.

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

They actually started with two losses last year.  This time they're on the right side of a streak.  Levelheaded Oilers fans get that they probably won't grab all the points out of this 4-game road trip, but they got the first two.  Better them than the nervous confidence we have over here.

Lost the first two but didn’t they start off 6-3-1 or 6-4-1, something along those lines?

looks like it was 6-3-1

Edited by Sean Monahan

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Lost the first two but didn’t they start off 6-3-1 or 6-4-1, something along those lines?

looks like it was 6-3-1

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

The “Don’t judge a team til the 20 game mark”  rule is hockey pool gospel.

Don't get me wrong - they're goaltending and lineup in general really shouldn't be able to sustain this pace.  But just better them than us right now.  That trade, people.  Even then people were actually impressed that they unloaded Lucic.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Don't get me wrong - they're goaltending and lineup in general really shouldn't be able to sustain this pace.  But just better them than us right now.  That trade, people.  Even then people were actually impressed that they unloaded Lucic.

its hard not to see that as a big win for Edmonton. I guess Neal could always tank but he's a far better buyout. It was a no-brainer to pass on Erkisson for Neal (if that was really a thing). 

How many more games before the Oilers can be considered the "Real deal"? I will say this - Tippet is already riding Draisaitl and McDavid ice time wise. I think this team makes the playoffs but again not that hard to shut down a one line team - which they are even with RNH and Neal on the 2nd line. The cocky swagger is already rearing its ugly head here in Deadmonton :(

49 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

How many more games before the Oilers can be considered the "Real deal"? I will say this - Tippet is already riding Draisaitl and McDavid ice time wise. I think this team makes the playoffs but again not that hard to shut down a one line team - which they are even with RNH and Neal on the 2nd line. The cocky swagger is already rearing its ugly head here in Deadmonton :(

I’ll say wait until halfway through the season. They started 18-12-3 last year before things fell apart so let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Another win for 5 straight.

Their 3Rd line just got Chiasson back from injury. 

Larsson is out LTIR with broken leg but the young kid Bear is playing great. Pleasant surprise RHD for them. 

5 wins in a row can only help when fighting for playoff spot towards the end of season. 

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Another win for 5 straight.

Their 3Rd line just got Chiasson back from injury. 

Larsson is out LTIR with broken leg but the young kid Bear is playing great. Pleasant surprise RHD for them. 

5 wins in a row can only help when fighting for playoff spot towards the end of season. 

Not if the top line keeps getting ridden the way they are, unless the middle six starts to step up consistently the ice time that Tippet is giving the top line is not sustainable for long term success.

All 5 games McDavid and Draisatl have played 20+ minutes and 3 times Draisatl has played 25+. Not sustainable imo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not if the top line keeps getting ridden the way they are, unless the middle six starts to step up consistently the ice time that Tippet is giving the top line is not sustainable for long term success.

All 5 games McDavid and Draisatl have played 20+ minutes and 3 times Draisatl has played 25+. Not sustainable imo. 

Not mention their schedule has not been tough at all.  I was looking ahead, and they could easily go 10 - 0.  They gotta have the lightest schedule to start the season.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well, that way, when McD catches a cold and sits a few games, they have an excuse for falling apart... again.

• Cheers 1

Well Mike Smith finally showed up with a gifted goal.  He's good for at least half a dozen of those a year.  They basically don't have any goals from players outside their top 6 through 6 games and once teams start rounding out their defensive structure that will be bad news for the oilers if they can't generate any offense from their bottom 6.

• Upvote 1