The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

On 11/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, TheInsideScoop said:

I wonder if the protocol is much longer for those that previously have had concussions, regardless of how they are feeling or saying how they are feeling

It is based on symptoms and it takes a minimum of 24hours to progress to the next stage. Each stage increases exercise intensity. To graduate a stage one must complete the exercise without any symptoms in a 24 hour period. This goes from no activity, to the stationary bike at low intensity, eventually to drill, non-contact practice and eventually contact practice. I missed some stages in the middle and not sure of the exact protocol/too lazy to look it up, but that is the approximate structure. If you 'fail' a stage/have a recurrence of symptoms then you go back to previous stage.

Basically there is the protocol that the player needs to graduate + the clinical reasoning of the medical team (where concussion history comes into play)

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
corrections
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It is based on symptoms and it takes a minimum of 24hours to progress to the next stage. Each stage increases exercise intensity. To graduate a stage one must complete the exercise without any symptoms in a 24 hour period. This goes from no activity, to the stationary bike at low intensity, eventually to drill, non-contact practice and eventually contact practice. I missed some stages in the middle and not sure of the exact protocol/too lazy to look it up, but that is the approximate structure. If you 'fail' a stage/have a recurrence of symptoms then I believe you go back to stage one.

Thanks, interesting to know the rough framework. Saying all of that..... that doesn't sound good for Ferland in that case

14 minutes ago, TheInsideScoop said:

Thanks, interesting to know the rough framework. Saying all of that..... that doesn't sound good for Ferland in that case

No. As a general rule the more concussions = the longer symptoms persists. Individual variance and severity depending, of course. It may also be that the staff is being extra cautious, as they should be. In my personal and humble opinion, it is discouraging that a concussion with seemingly persistent symptoms (due to length of time being out of the line up) was had with no clear mechanism that we could see. Yeah he had the fight but there were no 'clean shots' so to speak.

Bottom line though is that we don't know. If your interested you can look up the SCAT 5 for more information. It's an industry standard concussion guideline. Teams in the NHL have access to more advanced neurological testing but they will follow the SCAT 5 framework for return to play.

Nice to see players getting back from injury.  With Roussel on a conditioning stint, I'm curious how management will make room for his return. 

If Beagle goes on IR then that alleviates some pressure since Baertschi, Graovac and MacEwen are easily demoted (unless Baertschi is kept past 30 Nov) to make room for Roussel, Motte, Ferland and Sutter.  Once Beagle is back though, something has got to give.  My guess is Schaller will be waived to make room for Rouss well.  No shade meant for Schaller, I just see him as the odd man out in the situation as I think Motte slots in higher than him in the depth chart.

4 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Nice to see players getting back from injury.  With Roussel on a conditioning stint, I'm curious how management will make room for his return. 

If Beagle goes on IR then that alleviates some pressure since Baertschi, Graovac and MacEwen are easily demoted (unless Baertschi is kept past 30 Nov) to make room for Roussel, Motte, Ferland and Sutter.  Once Beagle is back though, something has got to give.  My guess is Schaller will be waived to make room for Rouss well.  No shade meant for Schaller, I just see him as the odd man out in the situation as I think Motte slots in higher than him in the depth chart.

I cant  See Schaller being waived, coach Green has liked his plat this season, Waive the 6m plug instead....other teams have buried their bad contracts time for us to do it!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I cant  See Schaller being waived, coach Green has liked his plat this season, Waive the 6m plug instead....other teams have buried their bad contracts time for us to do it!

I would like to see that too but not sure if ownership is going to go for it.  I agree with you though, purely on merit I think Eriksson deserves to be demoted.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Graovac, Baertschi and Eriksson will go down Schaller has played well, so he’s staying. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1