The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

This is one of those issues that not all Canucks fans agree with, but I’m definitely now in the “he needs to hang up his skates” camp. I wasn’t before and had been supportive of him taking his time coming back, but after getting concussed in a fight where it didn’t look like he took a punch and getting concussed after a hit on Kerfoot where it didn’t look like he got hit in the head it’s time. The guy has his whole life ahead of him. When you get head injuries twice after just coming back in fairly average hockey play it’s a sign. I wish the guy the best and would have loved to see more from him, but sometimes things just don’t work out how we want.

And for the yet to come arguments from the Benning bashers, at least we only gave up cap space. No harm, no foul imo. Still looking for that top 6 guy for Bo to play with. There’s an opening for our prospects now, let’s hope one of them takes advantage in the years to come!

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

ferland having symptoms. 

Ya, it was clear when Benning was speaking before he very carefully said that Ferland didn’t suffer a concussion.... lots of people read between the lines at what was unsaid... he was having symptoms from his previous one.

Misleading but not quite lying.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is ok. ( obviously helps with cap a bit)

But . . . Ferland played well in the game against the Leafs.

Ultimately, MF pulled himself .. something I am sure he was coached to do by staff if he felt odd.

The fact that he recognized a lingering effect is positive in itself..

these things take time, and MF has come a long way,  he does not need to give up on his career like some posters are stating here,  he simply takes a step back and continues his recovery and training to where it was before he returned to play.

I am speaking from experience with concussions I have personally worked through, and shared experiences with others who have as well.

It’s all very complex, the depth to every experience is different, but the brain can heal, time is a virtue in this matter..  it’s my opinion that if this is the case with this player,. Micheal is not far off from his breakthrough point above the symptoms.  I think we see him in late January, and back to some full tilt hockey.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wonder if he/the med staff has considered hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Had a couple friends who had quite a few concussions from various sports and they said a series of hyperbaric treatments did wonders for their symptoms.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Wonder if he/the med staff has considered hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Had a couple friends who had quite a few concussions from various sports and they said a series of hyperbaric treatments did wonders for their symptoms.

Canucks were one of the first teams to try using a hyper chamber, iirc it was back in the Gillis era, maybe as far back as Burke.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

just making it season ending, and possibly re assess when training camp approaches. He needs to do the Crosby and sit out a long period before attempting to play again in my opinion.

that is the player that came to my mind.

Sid was injured, a second or third time by a pretty tame hit.

He needed a long time off but recovered.

There is no guarantee that things work out the same for Ferland, but more is better where time off is concerned

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

His drive and energy will be a welcome addition when he returns.

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

His drive and energy will be a welcome addition when he returns.

Agreed, hopefully it puts Schaller in Loser#21's spot and Loser#21 is put on waivers and banished to the AHL where he belongs and can sit in the press box down in Utica

Ferland had a similar set back coming back from a concussion in Carolina. He took himself out of his first game back in the 1st period. Coaches weren't happy with him as he was medically cleared.

With his head injury Ferland has said publicly that he would never return until 100%. Good idea 

Canucks should LTIR him for at least couple of months. Let him sit even after he's healthy. Let him heal properly. Then maybe he can be a player again. 

One more concussion and he's in retirement territory. LTIR him and send him home for good. Use the cap space on a top 6 winger.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

On 12/14/2019 at 4:22 PM, Kushman said:

Canucks have been using this therapy method for decades.

• Cheers 1