The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

On 12/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, WHL rocks said:

Ferland had a similar set back coming back from a concussion in Carolina. He took himself out of his first game back in the 1st period. Coaches weren't happy with him as he was medically cleared.

With his head injury Ferland has said publicly that he would never return until 100%. Good idea 

Canucks should LTIR him for at least couple of months. Let him sit even after he's healthy. Let him heal properly. Then maybe he can be a player again. 

One more concussion and he's in retirement territory. LTIR him and send him home for good. Use the cap space on a top 6 winger.

I completely agree.

Right now he is bruised goods... but give him the opportunity to heal and he can be a player again.

Better to look at this long term... he will be a good player for the Canucks in the last two months of the season and next year if we give him time off.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Any words on Leivo? 

All I know is in the post game interview, Green figured it looked "not good" for Josh. He has become a surprisingly important part of this team - I wish him well.

(To he clear, I would even if he was NOT an important part of the team. Personal health is always most important imo)

• Thanks 2

On 12/15/2019 at 4:47 PM, WHL rocks said:

Ferland had a similar set back coming back from a concussion in Carolina. He took himself out of his first game back in the 1st period. Coaches weren't happy with him as he was medically cleared.

With his head injury Ferland has said publicly that he would never return until 100%. Good idea 

Canucks should LTIR him for at least couple of months. Let him sit even after he's healthy. Let him heal properly. Then maybe he can be a player again. 

One more concussion and he's in retirement territory. LTIR him and send him home for good. Use the cap space on a top 6 winger.

I respect Ferland for that decision. He knows best how his head is feeling. I'm sure he did feel well enough in practice to get cleared, but game situations are different. Good for him for taking care of his body, hopefully it allows him to get back to 100%

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, 73 Percent said:

I feel marky is being overworked. Not that he's the reason for our slump but we could burn him out real early.

Two more games ,then a four day break coming up.Good for the short term.......However,..after Christmas ,he will need relief, and that probably means starting the inexperienced Mikey D in net.

Demko took 2 months to recover from his last concussion.

12 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Two more games ,then a four day break coming up.Good for the short term.......However,..after Christmas ,he will need relief, and that probably means starting the inexperienced Mikey D in net.

Demko took 2 months to recover from his last concussion.

This is why IF the Canucks have to expose a goalie in the Seattle expansion draft, I think it should be Demko. He's injury-prone and has suffered concussion problems which always seem to be lurking around the corner for players with these issues. Marky is the better goalie and has been much healthier in his career. Mikey might be ready to be a #2 after that draft, he's having a fantastic year in Utica and it looked like he took over as the #1 after not winning that spot out of camp.

4 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

This is why IF the Canucks have to expose a goalie in the Seattle expansion draft, I think it should be Demko. He's injury-prone and has suffered concussion problems which always seem to be lurking around the corner for players with these issues. Marky is the better goalie and has been much healthier in his career. Mikey might be ready to be a #2 after that draft, he's having a fantastic year in Utica and it looked like he took over as the #1 after not winning that spot out of camp.

I think we keep both and make side deal with Seattle. 

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

And yet the refs both watched Holden give him that cheap shove in a dangerous position  without any reaction. If that's not intentional game management, I don't know what is. 

It’s sad that we’ve just come to expect that as fans.

Can you imagine if that was McDavid that got pushed into the boards like that? Holden would have got 25 or more.

Pretty ridiculous that refs make their decisions like this but they’ve made it pretty clear.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s sad that we’ve just come to expect that as fans.

Can you imagine if that was McDavid that got pushed into the boards like that? Holden would have got 25 or more.

Pretty ridiculous that refs make their decisions like this but they’ve made it pretty clear.

The whole night of officiating bothered me. right when Leivo went down I knew they didn't want to make that call just because five minutes earlier Fantenberg drew a boarding call and Gallant was calling for a dive. Hence the non call on Holden. And next period Myers goes down on an icing call with a slight trip and ref says "no way Myers, you were on your way down already'. And the hook and grab on Petey in OT was just too easy to call but no call. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

The whole night of officiating bothered me. right when Leivo went down I knew they didn't want to make that call just because five minutes earlier Fantenberg drew a boarding call and Gallant was calling for a dive. Hence the non call on Holden. And next period Myers goes down on an icing call with a slight trip and ref says "no way Myers, you were on your way down already'. And the hook and grab on Petey in OT was just too easy to call but no call. 

Yep the refs did not have control of that game at all. Reffing like junior refs.

If a ref has the last call he made in his head when officiating he is not doing his job properly. Way too much of that in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1208472104653316096?s=20

Coach Green updates: Eriksson is in. Markstrom starts. Leivo will be out 2-to-3 months with a fractured kneecap. Sutter has an upper-body injury and won't likely play until after the break. Ferland is closer, but doesn't have a timeline for his return.

Stupid to bring back Ferland quickly.

The guy needs a solid two months off to deal with the concussion.