The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

36 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I just named one move that pat quinn did under fan pressure   , fans chanting fire rick ley  at  games  , fans voices were heard by management  and a change was made  , same thing with gillis fans were calling for his head  and he got fired  ,so  fans do have influence .. ,If the team is bad , people stop going to games , stop buying merchandise ,  buy fewer season tickets  ,  yep some rebuilds are failed and rushed , you know why   money    no playoff revenue , those are  pure profit for owners  ,because you don't really pay players  in the playoffs ,  no playoffs less profit  .   Why do you think aqua man wanted to try and make a push for the playoffs before declaring a rebuild  

so with fans chanting ,,you don't think players, coaches and management don't   hear that .?   you bet players  hear that  , don't you remember rousell rant about hab fans and how much that pisses him off   or doughty  team like that  , I don't know how you can say fans aren't involved  ,  

did you read Coastal View's post?

He said, that the reason Canadian team do not win Cups is because of Ownership/Management/Fans(impatience for a proper rebuild)

I agreed with Ownership and management, but not fans.

So do not read that as "fans are not involved" read that as "fans have not stalled a rebuild"

Firing Rick Ley did not stall a rebuild, the rebuild had not started yet. 

Fast forward to 2012-13-14-15-16 the fans did not stall a rebuild, ownership/management did. However, fans eventually stopped selling out Canuck games, not because they were impatient with the rebuild, but because they felt ownership/management were taking advantage of fan loyalty. Then the rebuild started in earnest.

The same could be said about Ottawa, the fans reacted to Melnyk calling them out after Owner/management decimated the team. Then the rebuild started

It makes zero sense to suggest that fans are not involved, we are involved just by participating in this conversation, but neither you nor me are responsible for mismangement/ bad trades or picks. We didn't get AV fired in 2009 or Green lst month, we couldn't even get Wonkie fired when he should have been 4 years ago. Coaches get fired when they are on a different page than the GM or when the heat is so intense on teh GM for previous mistakes that he needs a scapegoat.

• Cheers 1

I saw some stat on last night’s game that showed we have the most man missed games due to injuries in the last decade of all the teams in the NHL.

it would be interesting to see some data on the most popular reasons for the injuries. Blocked shots comes to mind as a front runner. 

Now that we’re dictating the play more, with incredible players, I’m really hoping we see improvements with staying healthy.

On 12/27/2019 at 4:37 PM, coastal.view said:

really?

let's see - canadian franchises ownership/management vs the rule books theory

ottawa - melnyk

laffs - ballard, and subsequent years with quick fix mentality (you think the league is making rules against one of its top franchises?)

habs - that franchise just seems to have lost its edge and really has not come close in decades now (loss of their former special draft status has squeezed off the pipeline of quebec talent solely to that team)

jets - jury out on them, newish to winnipeg again, but looking solid this year despite changes

coilers - really? rule book? bias against them? yet all those 1st round picks? crappy player development? franchise that was run by former players resting on their laurels?

flames - i have not seen a powerhouse team in that city since the 80s

nucks - yes a brief surge to the very top of the league, and the rules may have been unbalanced in 2011 finals, but the team could not sustain due to ownership/management/failure to draft, explain how this team's 1 sole playoff run was due to league rules

i see your 2 rulebook theory

and posit a different theory

canadian clubs cannot go through a proper and thorough rebuild

because fan base demands a winner sooner

and corners are cut to speed up the process

so a team cannot ever become truly elite (vancouver excepted in that 1 run that barely lasted 2 seasons)

I will not get drawn into discussing other Canadian clubs. 

Betman’s prime objective has been to increase the American fan base and revenue for the NHL. All NHL key staff know this. His tenure has also resulted in Canadian teams not winning the Cup, is this a coincidence?

This is simple, the Canadian market is saturated. Earning extra revenue here is not a smart business plan if this is Betmans objective. 

The US market is dominated by Football, baseball and basketball. Betman knows that winning NHL teams bring fan/ TV revenue into the NHL. If he plays his cards right he CAN gain market share from other dominant US sports.

Kerry Fraser went public and explained that refs would tilt games with PPs to keep them close ie keeping US TV audiences tuned in. If you can explain why he “blew the whistle” on this league behaviour I am interested to hear your view. He had nothing to gain as a retired respected NHL official, but highlighted that bias is present.  

For example, in 2011 the Canucks dominated every stat in the regular season. They were more skilled than the large US market Boston bruins, the bruins established that they could not beat the Canucks with skill in the first 2 games, the. turned to goon/ bully tactics. NHL staff understand their bosses priorities and allowed this to happen. The east coast media also played a very large role and made it popular to hate the Canucks which galvinized the behaviour of favouring the large US market. Even the CBC joined in, IMO the CBC behaved like lemmings. I for one will always support all Canadian teams in the playoffs and will not turn my back on them like the CBC did in 2011 with Vancouver.

Another example is Betmans expansion policy which costs new entrants a huge amount of money but at the same time allows the new US teams to create a winning team through new expansion draft rules which favour new (US) teams entering the market. Vegas is a good example, Seattle will enjoy the same benefits. Where is Quebec?

Betman’s behaviours and tone is consistent. This influences everyone who is on his payroll. 

For the Canucks to succeed they need to build a skilled team with significant toughness to self police themselves. This is the only way the Canucks will overcome the revenue bias. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

Betman’s prime objective has been to increase the American fan base and revenue for the NHL. All NHL key staff know this. His tenure has also resulted in Canadian teams not winning the Cup, is this a coincidence?

This is simple, the Canadian market is saturated. Earning extra revenue here is not a smart business plan if this is Betmans objective. 

The US market is dominated by Football, baseball and basketball. Betman knows that winning NHL teams bring fan/ TV revenue into the NHL. If he plays his cards right he CAN gain market share from other dominant US sports.

Kerry Fraser went public and explained that refs would tilt games with PPs to keep them close ie keeping US TV audiences tuned in. If you can explain why he “blew the whistle” on this league behaviour I am interested to hear your view. He had nothing to gain as a retired respected NHL official, but highlighted that bias is present.  

For example, in 2011 the Canucks dominated every stat in the regular season. They were more skilled than the large US market Boston bruins, the bruins established that they could not beat the Canucks with skill in the first 2 games, the. turned to goon/ bully tactics. NHL staff understand their bosses priorities and allowed this to happen. The east coast media also played a very large role and made it popular to hate the Canucks which galvinized the behaviour of favouring the large US market. Even the CBC joined in, IMO the CBC behaved like lemmings. I for one will always support all Canadian teams in the playoffs and will not turn my back on them like the CBC did in 2011 with Vancouver.

Another example is Betmans expansion policy which costs new entrants a huge amount of money but at the same time allows the new US teams to create a winning team through new expansion draft rules which favour new (US) teams entering the market. Vegas is a good example, Seattle will enjoy the same benefits. Where is Quebec?

Betman’s behaviours and tone is consistent. This influences everyone who is on his payroll. 

For the Canucks to succeed they need to build a skilled team with significant toughness to self police themselves. This is the only way the Canucks will overcome the revenue bias. 

Pretty good summation Harry. I think your point about the Canadian market being saturated is very accurate. Canadian broadcast revenue to the NHL could be eclipsed by the new USA broadcast rights being negotiated over the next year. There have been suggestions that the USA markets will be regionalized like the NBA, MLB and the NFL. This could increase the revenue to the NHL substantially.

From the business prospective it is hard to argue with the job Bettmen has done. Sales increase every year. The CAP increases. Establishing a CAP and revenue sharing has benefited many clubs especially the Canadian ones. Some of these franchises would not have survived otherwise. The reality is that TO-Montreal-Vancouver are likely the only serious competitors. Quebec would be another weak sister and I cannot see a franchise going there over another club going to TO. 

Does the NHL favor USA cities in CUP play? Anyone who watched in 2011 would have to say yes. Can a Canadian club win a CUP? I still say yes. The 2011 Canucks failed as much because of their weakened blue line and goal tending. They did not have a game plan to counter the Bruins heavy game and it cost them.     

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Slegr said:

I saw some stat on last night’s game that showed we have the most man missed games due to injuries in the last decade of all the teams in the NHL.

it would be interesting to see some data on the most popular reasons for the injuries. Blocked shots comes to mind as a front runner. 

Now that we’re dictating the play more, with incredible players, I’m really hoping we see improvements with staying healthy.

Saw that too. Over 3,000 man games lost, the only team who has crossed that mark.

image.thumb.jpeg.a9032c9a5b02cbcac91f6167ae71ecd3.jpeg

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Saw that too. Over 3,000 man games lost, the only team who has crossed that mark.

image.thumb.jpeg.a9032c9a5b02cbcac91f6167ae71ecd3.jpeg

We must have the worst travel schedule too. That has got to be a big factor.  Though we've had pure bad luck too...like pucks to the face.  Can't dodge a fast moving puck no matter how fresh and alert you are.

Good news.

I know neither have been lights out on the scoresheet this year but I feel we still miss them both. 

What Ferland brings is obvious, and when he finds his scoring game again he is a real asset to have on the ice.

Sutter played generally well imo, and I do feel we need to bolster our 4th line.

Motte Beagle Sutter looks like a good (though expensive) 4th to me. Schaller has been nearly unnoticeable since his hot start to the season and I think it is time for another wakeup call.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, yes we can nucks said:

We must have the worst travel schedule too. That has got to be a big factor.  Though we've had pure bad luck too...like pucks to the face.  Can't dodge a fast moving puck no matter how fresh and alert you are.

Gotta get that guy from dodgeball in our training staff.  "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a puck"

On 1/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, HarryCanuck said:

Burrows was on the NHLPA committee for expansion.  He was on different shows in Montreal at the time and talking about it.  The players wanted to make the rules even more generous for Vegas.  The players absolutely wanted Vegas to be competitive otherwise it hurts revenue and their own income through escrow.  He was talking of giving 1st overall and then top-3 or 5 overall for several years.  It's owners that pushed back on the players' proposals. 

Vegas played it well and teams overthought the process.  They thought they'd take 4-5 years to be competitive.  That's why they tried to amass as many draft picks as possible and were selling cap space.  Would be surprising if Seattle is immediately that competitive. 

A few years back there was a study that showed having a team in Quebec would hurt Montreal's revenue.  Corporates were not going to invest more but rather spread across both franchises.  

Edited by mll

On 1/9/2020 at 1:28 PM, Industrious1 said:

I wonder how many of those man games lost are Sutter. 

Maybe we need to change his equipment?  I'm thinking a thick layer of bubble wrap.

He played 210 of the 372 possible games since coming to Vancouver.  Missed 162 games so far - basically 2 seasons and counting.  

Horvat played 353 of the 372

Edler 280

Tanev 263