The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The athletic projects the Canucks 26th overall?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

I would also like to add that this is the first year in many that I'm actually excited about the upcoming season.

But, I can see why the Nucks are still ranked so low by those who follow hockey... 

Some might feel that Miller is playing too high in a top 6 role and would be better suited for a bottom 6 

Ferland plays a hard game that lends to missing some (maybe a lot) of games

Myers billed as a top pairing D-man but maybe needs protected minutes to be effective

Hughes as a rookie - yet most Canucks fans already have him pegged as an effective top 4 D-man. Let the kid learn and grow. May be some growing pains involved.

Injury prone line-up of players returning (you know the names)

It'll be an interesting season. I'll be paying attention and finally buying a Canucks jersey for the first time in a while.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Predicting only 4 sub-500 teams? That seems low.

Also, Detroit dead last, despite somehow playing 83 games :P

I caught that too.  That's what happens when you play with decimal points in analytics.  You get rounding errors if you don't use enough digits after the whole number. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Run n Gun said:

ooooh, you got me there alfie! :)

My original comment just pointed to how silly these message board reactions are to predictions made by the media... mostly from people who are offended that the Nucks are always ranked so low - like our team can do not wrong. Even Benning commenting one year about how he couldn't wait for the season to start to prove everybody wrong... we all know how that season played out.

Anyway, I think we're a bubble playoff team - not a grand prediction - it's pretty in line with most of the opinions around the city. Will the playoff race be like last year where it was mostly because most other teams sucked, or will it be a true playoff race where the all the teams are really good? That will play into if the Nucks make it this year or not... and the fact that our goaltending has to be top notch, of course.

With the incredible depth of this years draft i am sure you can expect to see many teams tanking after TDL day to snatch up one of these gems so it could be like 2014/15 when several teams went for McDavid. That year was unusual in that both Calgary and Vancouver were huge surprises but both were wiped out in the playoffs, Ferland mopped up the floor with the Canucks and then the Flames were embarrassed by the Ducks.

The Canucks were a 83 pt team before that one blip, 83, 101, 75, 69, 73, 81 so another unexpected tanking by a few teams that want to shorten their rebuild by years might propel the Canucks into a playoff spot (artificially).

Funny the entire front off was canned for hitting 83 points and now it a a mark of achievement to reach 83 points.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

And people pay to read this?  Lol

It's an analytical model purely based on numbers.  The OP said/inferred it was the writers but he's wrong.  It's the same one, made up by the one guy who is the top analytics guy on the site that I posted last season that you all cried about.  It turned out to be fairly accurate in the end with the only major outlier being the St. Louis Blues.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's an analytical model purely based on numbers.  The OP said/inferred it was the writers but he's wrong.  It's the same one, made up by the one guy who is the top analytics guy on the site that I posted last season that you all cried about.  It turned out to be fairly accurate in the end with the only major outlier being the St. Louis Blues.

Only one that mattered though. 

41 minutes ago, Run n Gun said:

For the past 4 years...

The media have had low projections for the Nucks. Followed by outrage from these very message boards.... yet the Nucks have continually proven that they are a bottom feeding team.

Will this year be different? I sure hope so... but I can also see why projections for the team are all over the place for this year. 

Let's not get our panties in a bunch, folks.

Where do you think the cutoff is to be considered bottom feeding ? 

Just now, Aladeen said:

Only one that mattered though. 

If sports were just a matter of math, I'd bet on sports instead of playing the markets.  One of the greatest things about sports is that there are usually teams that beat the odds.  Last year it was the Blues.  They just happened to ride that wave to the Cup.

1 minute ago, BlastPast said:

Where do you think the cutoff is to be considered bottom feeding ? 

Bottom feeding teams are teams that continually end up at the bottom of the league year after year.  True bottom feeders don't just happen in one or two seasons.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

So we finish worse than last year despite adding two top six forwards, a top 4 RD, a 3rd pair LD and a full season of Quinn Hughes?? Give me a break. 

Or the Canucks are the team that demolishes the analytics a la the Blues.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Run n Gun said:

For the past 4 years...

The media have had low projections for the Nucks. Followed by outrage from these very message boards.... yet the Nucks have continually proven that they are a bottom feeding team.

Will this year be different? I sure hope so... but I can also see why projections for the team are all over the place for this year. 

Let's not get our panties in a bunch, folks.

To be fair, most pundits had us at dead last in 2018-19 with below 70 points. We finished quite a bit above that. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BlastPast said:

Yeah, what constitutes the bottom ?

Look at the Buffalo Sabres and Edmonton Oilers roster vs. record for the last 5 or 6 years.  Bottom feeding isn't just a team problem, it's also an organizational problem.

The Sabres and Oilers have talent out the wazoo, but they manage to suck year after year.  That points to an organizational failure which has led to a bottom feeding team.

• Upvote 1