The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

instead of taking advantage of a team with weak depth, he decides to match that by dressing an equally unskilled bottom 6. 

You gotta admit it was cool to be a part of the NHL’s inaugural tag team match of the Canucks and Comets vs the Oilers and Condors

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Grape said:

The winning goal was 50% on Sutter, 50% on Hughes.

On that goal, Hughes' issue wasn't bad defensive play: he got a stick on the puck against of the best players in the league. The issue was that he should've been more engaged. I've been saying this since his time at Michigan: Hughes doesn't have much of a motor. He's smooth and skilled and fast but doesn't play with a "fire." Long story short,  he didn't defend hard enough there.

Otherwise, I genuinely think he had a very solid game.

McDavid also blew by Tanev. Why aren't you pointing out how bad that play was by Tanev?

Hughes was at least able to get a stick on the puck on fastest player in the league after a turnover in the neutral zone and McDavid having momentum. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

They sucked in the first period but weren't that bad for the rest of the game, definitely would have Gaudette in for next game and sit Schaller or Eriksson, actually just sit them both and call up MacEwen.

Schaller played well, Eriksson was meh 

2 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

McDavid also blew by Tanev. Why aren't you pointing out how bad that play was by Tanev?

Hughes was at least able to get a stick on the puck on fastest player in the league after a turnover in the neutral zone and McDavid having momentum. 

I feel like Tanev gets a lot of passes for his errors due to the goodwill he’s accumulated over the years. But frankly, Tanev hasn’t quite been Tanev in the last little while even when healthy.

Edited by EmilyM

Just now, EmilyM said:

I feel like Tanev gets a lot of passes for his errors due to the goodwill he’s accumukated over the years. But frankly, Tanev hasn’t quite been Tanev in the last little while even when healthy.

My point is that it wasn't either of their faults. It was a turnover in the Neutral zone to the fastest and best player in the league. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He waits any longer and no Miller

The funny thing about that is some people tend to think T Bay was trying to trade Miller for cap relief but in all reality there are a couple other players on that team they would have preferred to dump instead. JB had to step up for them to trade Miller instead because obviously that was the guy he wanted

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Schaller played well, Eriksson was meh 

I thought Eriksson had more jump today than usual. I mean, that’s still not saying a whole lot, but it looked he tried a bit. A little bit. When have we even been able to say that ever?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, StiffStick33 said:

Prob the worst game i’ve seen pette play. Almost broke his stick in frustration  in the third. Myers ran him over the next shift.

I think he wants too badly for things to go right, he’s living in his own head. I’m sure he’ll loosen up in time though

• Like 1

This is why I wanted as much of our final roster as possible playing the last 2 games of the preseason. Easy 2 points gone for no reason other than the team not playing together before and spending the entire game working out the kinks. Hughes struggled defensively early but when he started getting thrown out with Bo's line things started happening for us. 

Virtanen, Leivo and Ferland were downright bad. Everyone else got better as the game went on, which is all you can expect under the circumstances. Bo's line was the best line in the game.