The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, mpt said:

Did Ferland make a single hit? 

I only saw 3 hit attempts. One by Beagle, Myers and another by Schaller. The rest of the hits are seriously padded stats. If there was 10 hits tonight the stat keepers are really being generous. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

This is why I wanted as much of our final roster as possible playing the last 2 games of the preseason. Easy 2 points gone for no reason other than the team not playing together before and spending the entire game working out the kinks. Hughes struggled defensively early but when he started getting thrown out with Bo's line things started happening for us. 

Virtanen, Leivo and Ferland were downright bad. Everyone else got better as the game went on, which is all you can expect under the circumstances. Bo's line was the best line in the game.

It also has to do with the schedule of the preseason. Back to back games on back to nights in a sequence of 3 games in 4 nights. It is reasonable for the coach to not play the full roster on both of the last 2 pre season games. I am more mad at how most teams have their last pre season game in the weekends and our last was on Thursday, that’s almost a full week without action as well.

• Cheers 1

Time to rack up some confused faces...

I'm concerned about Pettersson's ability to carry the play 5 v 5. He's uber-talented, and nobody is denying that, but I haven't seen him really carry the play in a game since the first half of last season. He can still be a deadly weapon on the PP and can come in clutch in the latter stages of a game, but as far as regular 5 v 5 play, I see him being outmuscled, outhustled and just generally outplayed on a regular basis.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm concerned about Pettersson's ability to carry the play 5 v 5. He's uber-talented, and nobody is denying that, but I haven't seen him really carry the play in a game since the first half of last season. He can still be a deadly weapon on the PP and can come in clutch in the latter stages of a game, but as far as regular 5 v 5 play, I see him being outmuscled, outhustled and just generally outplayed on a regular basis.

That's a fair assessment, last season was his first full one though. Very few players carry the play consistently that early in their career. I'm sure it will come to him shortly though. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I really dont know what the management was thinking. schaller, Eriksson and virtanen didnt show anything in preseason 

It's plain and simple... owner has his hands over the operations!! Already paid that much for Eriksson... and can't get much cap relief from buyout....  just let him ride along! As for Baer, the Management felt there was a good chance he could get claimed to shed his salary but....

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Over 40 point last year  at 5vs5

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Please people - I realize a lot of you don't like Sutter - but get real.

Sutter;s clearance hit the linesman - the puck fell at his feet - Edmonton picked up the transition gift - it takes a real pair of shizz goggles to call that a "horrid turnover".

:32 Doesn't take a genius to see that the ref jumps over the puck and the edmonton player stops it with the stick blade... the shizz goggles are working better than whatever you're wearing ;) 

GREAT hustle by Sutter to recover as well!

Edited by Top Sven Baercheese
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Grape said:

Because Tanev literally did all he could to stop McDavid. Hughes was in a better position to stop McDavid and probably could've done more . You can't be serious if you think none of that was on Hughes.

If you think I'm biased against Hughes, I can tell you I've spent almost half a thousand dollars to watch Hughes play a couple dozens of times already at Michigan. I ordered a customizable jersey the second we drafted him. I just have higher expectations of him and I think that goal highlights something that's pretty reoccurring of him, the fact that he plays too passively sometimes and without urgency on the defensive end, kinda like Edler, who naturally is a good defender already.

Tanev literally looked like he was going to change lines before McDavid decided there's a huge space there. Looked like Hughes was surprised Tanev didn't have him because if Chris was in position he would have skated right into him.