The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

It's just one game. Hughes looked great. Miller looked great.

Myers can really wheel. Lots of speed from top 2 lines.

Connor is all world. No shame on that goal. He is off the charts good.

The 3rd goal? Assisted by Sutter? Plenty of shame tbh. Should not have happened.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, brownky said:

It's like they've all been dicking around in practice doing nice looking puck plays. Those work really well in practice when the defence is your own team not interested in getting hurt. I was a really good player, in practice.

Whoooole nother ball of yarn against a team clogging the lanes. Pearson had the right idea. Just shoot the damn thing. You'll get chances. I liked it when our passing would open up their collapsed box to free up the points for some hard shots / one timers - leading to goals.

Boeser trying to thread a pass through 4 flames' sticks in the last 20 seconds of a game kinda sums up my argument.

My response here has nothing to do with this quote btw. The GDT got locked so I'm responding to your argument against Hughes.

Here's my take regarding your "good defense leads directly to good offense" point. I would like to argue that it's closer to the opposite. Good offense is the best form of good defense. The Sedins were never good defenders. However, they were consistently statistically the best defenders on the team for the pure reason that they controlled so much of the game when they were on the ice. There is a reason why a guy like Gudbranson, while being able to "defend," was complete dog****: because when he was on the ice, we could not control the puck at a high rate. There is a reason why the best offensive defensemen are seen as elite players, while the best defensive defensemen are usually just seen as elite defensive players. 

You mentioned "Chances intercepted, cut off, saved" these are things that Hughes has always been good at. While the "fancy stickwork in the offensive zone" as you described with Goldobin, is something that doesn't describe Hughes at all. So while your arguing against Hughes here, I'm not sure you even brought up any of his weaknesses. Not sure this was relevant to your argument. 

Again, this team has desperately lacked offensive creativity on the backend. It's one of the biggest reasons we've been awful the past few seasons. It's paramount that it gets fixed. When you have a guy that can clearly help out big time, you don't just keep him in the AHL because he's subpar defensively. His net production is still going to be positive, especially on the Canucks. 

Edit: a main reason for net positive production is due to the fact that defense is undoubtedly more of a team effort: the team can shadow Hughes. A player like Hughes alone can generate many more goals, but it will usually take more than just Hughes (see GWG tonight) for there to be an additional goal against. This is the reason that, as I said, the best offensive defensemen are seen as elite players, while the best defensive defensemen are usually just seen as elite defensive players. That being said, I would be very patient with him as he's not going to be anywhere close to Boeser/EP in their rookie years. I think Hughes is going to be very up and down and frustrating at times like he was at Michigan. But I think the thought that he isn't ready is crazy because he already brings so much to the team. 

Edited by Grape

I think with new 5 guys Myers, Benn, Ferland, Hughes, Miller playing key minutes and roles, it will take a few games to get used to each other.  I thought there were times when we saw some real potential and puck movement, but it will be a work in progress for a bit.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Gotta love people losing their minds already over the first game of the season.

You know this is a message forum where fans can react in the season after a loss which counts the very same as a loss in March by the way, to the oilers....I’m not saying people should panic but it’s totally okay for people to be disappointed. Move on and these are the same people that get too Over the top when we beat a top team.

its a bipolar place really

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

1 minute ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

You this is a message forum where fans can react in the season after a loss

which counts the very same as a loss in March by the way, to the oilers....I’m not saying people should panic but it’s totally okay for people to be disappointed. Move on and these are the same people that get too Over the top when we beat a top team.

its a bipolar place really

And that was a schizophrenic post

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I just said he’s an upgrade over Hutton if you read my post. And I really am

talking about the now, since I’m talking about his drop off in play. He had a okay game against THE oilers....in a loss, and people are giving their readings on him based on being impressed with his size and skating. Well yeah that’s why he’s in the NHL. It sure isn’t for work ethic and top notch skill, at least not anymore.

Did you guys miss the part where I said I’ve watched him closely literally live in person and on tv HUNDREDS of times. Your readings on him after one regular season game against the oilers don’t cancel that out, I’m not trying to be “that guy” and like I said I’ll be more then happy if I’m wrong. I just don’t think I will be given what I know.an upgrade, on Hutton sure...6 million? No....trust me as bad as the Hayes contract is there isn’t one person here that wouldn’t rather have Hayes at seven then Tyler at six. Again, you’ll see.....and if you don’t and want to believe something based on comparing him to Hutton that’s fine. It doesent work that way. We have to compare him to other dmen like

mcavoy and werenski who just signed At the time or after he did and got less, which is disgusting of JB.

I think this guy doesn’t like Tyler Myers. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

That bottom 6 is pathetic, no way Baertschi and Gaudette shouldn't be in there.

No doubt.

Schaller, Eriksson, even Leivo and Sutter didn't look too great.

Maybe one or more is waived/sent packing via trade sooner than later and Baer/Gaudette/Virtanen becomes line 3? Then something like Motte/Beagle or Sutter/Leivo on 4?

I'm puzzled.. and deflated.. I had this one chalked up as a guaranteed win.

So redemption in Calgary we must have!

Also lol at the tank gifs in game 1's GDT. Never change, CDC!

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guys like Ferland & Brock need to get in the groove(missed time lately).

If we start with the ideal lineup, it's demoralizing if you serve up some clunkers, right off the hop.

Grind out the first few wks, & get everyone up to speed. By Nov we should know how most skaters(lines/pairings) mesh, & who sits then is more important. Nothing is won in the Fall. Overall a pretty good effort. Results will arrive if we continue playing with that effort.

Support the boys, people.

Two points in October are worth the same as two points in April, though

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

I know it's only the first game, but I was hoping Virt would come out with some fire. He was invisible. Granted, can't really generate offense when you're on the 4th line, but at least be physical.

Just to be fair, he had 9 minutes and finished with 3 hits and 1 TKA...And he was playing with plugs.

• Upvote 4