The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Brayden Schenn, 6.5 x 8 years

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I believe it was something along the lines of taking investors money for a resort? And used the money as a personal bank account. 

Found article, seems he made a few enemies out of former NHLers in this botched investment. 

https://www.timescolonist.com/business/len-barrie-i-always-said-i-never-did-anything-wrong-1.792566

Edit

Looks like his dad did something similar in 2008 when he tried to buy tampa bay lightning.

I didn't realize that was his dad. The company I use to work for almost went in on a project with him on the island when a lot of that sh!t was going down. Obviously we backed out. 

5 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Parayko is their best dman and already signed long term. Petrangelo is 30/31 next year and you know someone is going to throw a huge contract at him that he will not be worth in 4-5 years.

Pietrangelo > Parayko.

Most likely different in 3 years with age? Parayko is good / great. A fantastic player. But it ain't that close yet/ Pietrangelo is sublime.

Will Parayko have a 26 minute, 50 point all situations ceiling??  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Horvat quickly becoming the best deal in the NHL. 

So many way better deals although Horvat  is pretty  good too.

MacKinnon Barkov Marchand Pastrnak Scheifele  Klinger Slavin.. just off top of my head all better than Horvats deal. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We’ll see. 

Horvat does everything well. Hard not to agree.

Can he break 60 points?

Meh, I think we’ve seen his ceiling, or as close to as makes no difference. 

He already has. 61 points in 2018-19

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MattJVD said:

He already has. 61 points in 2018-19

Ok, 61 points then, I should have been exact. Good catch. 

I was trying to make the point that I think Horvat has found his ceiling as far as points or talents go. 60-65 points is fine by me.

I also noted that he hasn’t been Captain Clutch like Toews, who has similar numbers. Horvat’s contract is spot on, IMO. 

A Rod Brind’Amour clone would be sweet too. 

16 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

So many way better deals although Horvat  is pretty  good too.

MacKinnon Barkov Marchand Pastrnak Scheifele  Klinger Slavin.. just off top of my head all better than Horvats deal. 

yup but Bo is still great value imo. Not sure I'd agree past Pasternak in your list tho, I wouldn't trade Bo for Scheifle e.g. 

22 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We’ll see. 

Horvat does everything well. Hard not to agree.

Can he break 60 points?

Meh, I think we’ve seen his ceiling, or as close to as makes no difference. 

I would not bet on that.

First, I think you're unlikely to see Horvat at 40.9% ozone starts again - at least not if their 'foundation' can remain anywhere near healthy, we should see the end of Horvat being forced into shutdown/matchup duties.  I think the intent is for his line to be a legit 2nd scoring line.  The exception to that imo would be if/when Gaudette steps into a center role - his line might need 'sheltering' in which case we might see Horvat's deployment change / be less opportune.

The other implication of that deployment last year though - is looking at his production in that context - 61 pts - in relatively hard minutes.

Also - when you look at his linemates from last season, no combination exceeded 7.5% of his 5 on 5  ice time.  It was a revolving door of Baertschi, LE, Pearson, Boeser, Goldobin, Roussel....not bad, but having had a small glimpse of Miller Horvat Pearson (perhaps Ferland swaps in for Miller at some point?) - I think they'll not only see better opportunities than Horvat's lines last year, but these are guys better suited to his game - that is a heavier, harder to play against group that, like Horvat, has a solid transition game.

EP won't be carrying the firewood alone - if he is, this is not a team competing to make the playoffs - but I think Horvat's line will be up to that task - will be very hard for teams to handle - and having that one-two punch will be vital to EP's line not getting keyed on endlessly.

I think there's still room for Horvat to uptick -  perhaps not his performance on an individual basis (those outcomes were outstanding and very difficult to improve upon - so in that sense I agree with you) - but it's quite possible he sees better conditions in which to produce.

• Upvote 1

Schenn was a guy I would have been interested in in free agency next summer - but not at those terms.   I think they're too close to approaching a 'core' contract - and I wouldn't have handed that out this early in the process.

17 goals and 54 pts is pretty good, but there are too many middling things about Schenn's game to dole out 50+ million imo.

He was at 53.8% ozone starts last year, with 2:23 powerplay ice time a game as well - on a SCC quality roster.

He's an average faceoff guy (47.5%) - and one thing that might be a concern is his decreasing physicality - he's gone from a player that throws 200 hits a season - to 154 and then 111 in his two years in St Louis.  At 28 years old, perhaps you can't expect those previous kinds of outputs forever (or on such a good puch possession team that owns it to the degree St Louis does) - but that kind of money throught to age 37 (another year before the 8 kick in) - I wouldn't have offered that much term or cap.

I also don't share the impression that he was that vital to their playoff success - 12 pts/26 g, -2....not bad, but watching that run, my interest eased off somewhat (Bozak actually outproduced him in the playoffs...)

In any event, very good player, character player, but that contract imo is too rich - and long - particularly in that group, where there is a wealth of guys more vital than him imo, and a good pipeline as well, to supplement.  A bit surprising they'd do this at this point (but they are SCC, clearly know how to build a team...)

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You were okay with Loui's contract 4 years ago, a contract that brought him to the same age as Scenn's does.  Schenn is younger and brings a lot more to the table, point totals, hits, blocks, grit, shots and well...basically everything...and just delivered his team a Stanley cup. 

There's where I see a problem. The money would be fine if it were a 4 year deal. He will undoubtedly slow down in the back half of the 8 and will probably be a 40 point player that isn't a defensive force. Pretty steep at 6.5 even if the cap rises.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, Chicken. said:

MacKinnon has to the the biggest steal at $6.3M AAV for a while

Although I do love Bo's deal as well. 

Roman Josi is up there too, although his 7 x $4M contract expires after this season. He's anothet guy that's about to get PAID.

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Ok, 61 points then, I should have been exact. Good catch. 

I was trying to make the point that I think Horvat has found his ceiling as far as points or talents go. 60-65 points is fine by me.

I also noted that he hasn’t been Captain Clutch like Toews, who has similar numbers. Horvat’s contract is spot on, IMO. 

A Rod Brind’Amour clone would be sweet too. 

Tough to say. Remember, he scored 61 points last year with a revolving door of wingers. JT Miller is LEGIT and if Pearson ends up being half of what he showed in Edmonton, that's gonna be one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL. 

One thing I've learned over the years is to never count Bo out. He's gotten better and scored more points every year. Barring injuries, there's no reason to think this year will be any different. Remember, he's only 24.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1