The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Oct. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

How many more of that can you find? Everyone on the board knows boeser and Petey aren’t compatible. Good players aren’t always compatible. Petey needs another player who thinks the game the same way he does. I think Miller is a good fit 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

I think we need to get a Jake and Ferland on the pp for a few reasons:

- bigger more sold bodies harder to move 

- good shots

- will motivate both to perform 

- better ability to dump and chase

- size to win puck battles 

Dont know if I agree with that or not..... I'm more inclined to think horvat should be back on pp1 with boeser and petty ... we know they have chemistry.   We know they can score...  add hughes quarter backing.... pp1 looks way better.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

I think our 3rd line Sutter Gaud Virtnanen looked real good tonight..... if they play like that every night..... secondary scoring will come

Well tonight they couldn't even get primary scoring.

And what happened to wanting 3 balanced scoring lines like Benning talked about hoping to have?

Instead "Greener" loves the hard match and wants 2 checking/grinder lines when all the top teams only have 1.

This the same guy that didn't play Brock Boeser the first two games of the season as a rookie 2 years ago.

Trying to send some antiquated message like earning it and paying your dues even though Brock had proven himself coming out of North Dakota with a bang.

Not surprised he scratched Gaudette to start the year. He would probably send him to the minors if he could but his preseason was too good.

Even if can't get traction ol Trav' will be on the horn to Jimbo asking Tobe allowed a more veteran experienced third line.

• Cheers 3

The failure of 5 on 3 tells it a lot about the state of PP and how they run by Brown, Edler is not the man for the job and move Hughes up to 5 on 3 and you will see much better puck movement that would get PK to commit and find open man.   Even for a normal PP on 2nd unit, Hughes is way more noticeable without the top talent on the PP2 unit which produce a better chance to score than PP1 unit so move him up is a much better solution.   Oh, please drop that drop passes strategy, it's not working the way it was meant to be played.  If you use drop pass, you have to guarantee that it will score at will and we wasted about 5 to 10 seconds just to set up a drop pass and another 5 seconds to make drop pass for it to gain entry and set up.   I do not mind dumping the puck on PP once in a while if you are successfully win the race every time.  If it doesn't work then try drop pass to set up just one shot on goal.   Drop pass worked when it was a novelty and PK were figuring it out how to stop them and couldn't but after a few years, teams are becoming more efficient on stopping the drop pass or at least killing more time with different type of pressure on PK with all 4 on the line and easily stop them.  Before the drop pass, there used to be 3 men at the line and a lot easier to gain the zone with 50/50 chance of gaining the puck control with just 3 men on the board with one PK player out of the position.  Now with 4 men at the line, it's a lot easier to stop the PP with all 4 men at the line and you'd have to be very quick with the puck or there's turnover.   

Well that sucked. What worries me, well ok so 2 games is not much but based on that.....Theres a clear lack in creativity. Not sure why, but theres no real pressure against the opositions net and that has me worried more then anything else. but ok...still early, but u need to find ways to generate chances and its just not clickingg right now. 

• Upvote 1

Another game where the opponent’s Captain looks silly and dives to the ice after the push by Myers, this followed by the game where McDavid celebrates in front of our bench.

On the other hand, our Capt Bo gets hit hard and clean by Tkachuk. What does Bo do?? Skates back and commends Matthew on the good bodycheck. Just love his maturity. And rarely do you see Bo not giving it his all. 

So looking forward to the next game where he is introduced as our Captain!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

For the first two games, lets throw out some positives or silver linings.

We played well in Edmonton, but didn't win. That's ok, because that happens in hockey.U get over it. In Calgary, we played hard, seem sluggish at times but at least we didn't get blown out.

Edmonton won the first game even tho i felt we played a better game. Then they played the Kings and that was wild. 6 - 5. It felt like the Oilers played the typical Oilers hockey.

In the end, the Canucks competed. They may not have won, but the compete level is there for the most part at least. It's not over. Maybe as long as the compete is consistent, it might get better as the season progresses, when the players get to know each other.

Edited by Monteeun

5 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Well that sucked. What worries me, well ok so 2 games is not much but based on that.....Theres a clear lack in creativity. Not sure why, but theres no real pressure against the opositions net and that has me worried more then anything else. but ok...still early, but u need to find ways to generate chances and its just not clickingg right now. 

On paper it looked great. But maybe with the new players we acquired, it may take time for the players to gel. The only positive i can see is that at least they worked hard. Or maybe it's only a small positive.

Edited by Monteeun
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Dont know if I agree with that or not..... I'm more inclined to think horvat should be back on pp1 with boeser and petty ... we know they have chemistry.   We know they can score...  add hughes quarter backing.... pp1 looks way better.

Totally agree for the first unit 

8 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Well tonight they couldn't even get primary scoring.

And what happened to wanting 3 balanced scoring lines like Benning talked about hoping to have?

Instead "Greener" loves the hard match and wants 2 checking/grinder lines when all the top teams only have 1.

This the same guy that didn't play Brock Boeser the first two games of the season as a rookie 2 years ago.

Trying to send some antiquated message like earning it and paying your dues even though Brock had proven himself coming out of North Dakota with a bang.

Not surprised he scratched Gaudette to start the year. He would probably send him to the minors if he could but his preseason was too good.

Even if can't get traction ol Trav' will be on the horn to Jimbo asking Tobe allowed a more veteran experienced third line.

The Green apologists get very sensitive when you mention Brock's benching in his rookie year, yikes!

6 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

For the first two games, lets throw out some positives or silver linings.

We played well in Edmonton, but didn't win. That's ok, because that happens in hockey.U get over it. In Calgary, we played hard, seem sluggish at times but at least we didn't get blown out.

Edmonton won the first game even tho i felt we played a better game. Then they played the Kings and that was wild. 6 - 5. It felt like the Oilers played the typical Oilers hockey.

In the end, the Canucks competed. They may not have won, but the compete level is there for the most part at least. It's not over. Maybe as long as the compete is consistent, it might get better as the season progresses.

We played crap teams and lost and that’s crap.

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We played crap teams and lost and that’s crap.

Is Calgary crap?

And two games into the season with new players, i hope we all know it may take some games.

Edited by Monteeun
  • Upvote 4