The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Oct. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Have you ever played hockey at a level where you have an equipment manager? I have. Equipment managers deal with all the equipment except the sticks. That's up to a player. We torch them, tape them and change them when they don't feel right. You're grasping at straws on blaming equipment guys for some guys twigs splintering on a key shot.

In fact I have and I would guess it was at a higher level 

any fool know it’s the player’s responsibility but and good equipment guy taps him on the shoulder and to give him a gentle reminder 

by the way there are now 4 equipment guys ...not like the old days 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Tampa got swept. I suppose they’re crap as well? 

Nope. Tampa is a far superior team to Calgary.

All I'm saying is Calgary overachieved last year and I feel a healthy Canucks team can claim a wild card. The Flames will be hard pressed to win 50 games again.

Check back in April!

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Will our equipment managers ever be smart enough to get our guys fresh stick when we go on the PP? 

EP had his taken several hard shots and hacks to his stick prior to the 2 man advantage..are we so cheap we can’t change out a stick at a key point in the game?

Lol, heads will roll... Even the equipment manager

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I want Baerstchi back. Surely he's better than some on this roster? 

Bear - Petey - Miller

Pearson - Bo - Brock

Ferland - Gaud - Virtanen 

Sutter - Beagle - Leivo

Eventually subbing Rousell & Motte in when healthy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Living overseas, I don't get to watch the games in their entirety (I'm dependent on the 8 minute youtube highlights), but it does seem like the Canucks are much better at transitioning the puck out from the back-end (although they still look quite vulnerable to the forecheck).    Hughes looks very good out there.    

It's a very small sample size obviously, but I really think the Canucks need to try and wed themselves to one of the following two ideas:

1) Try and create two elite scoring lines.

2) Try and create three "good" scoring lines.   

While I think the Canucks are attempting to do #1, I'm just not sure if there's enough talent to roll with that.   In other words, if those top two lines get shut down by elite opposition, then the chances of the Canucks getting anything out of their bottom 6 seems very minimal at best.  As it stands right now, our bottom 6 is basically two 4th lines and it's very difficult to win with that.    As was the case last year, I think there might be too much undue to pressure on the top two lines to produce (only difference being that last year, for the first half of the season, Pettersson was able to fly under the radar).   

Getting back to my main point, I think the Canucks should strongly consider option #2.............and I think a big part of option #2 is maximizing Adam Gaudette by playing him with strong linemates (i.e. not Virtanen and Leivo).       

1) Have Pettersson and Boeser anchor the top line.

2) Horvat and Pearson anchor the 2nd.

3) Gaudette plays with Miller and Ferland

4) Have a revolving door in terms of the wingers and players playing on the top two lines.    If someone is playing well, said player can be rewarded with top six ice-time riding shot gun on the top two lines.     

Not that bad, need a few tweaks :
-Edler out of the lineup please and fast. Please Tryamkin it's time to take his place.
-Leivo out of the PP1.
-Split Boeser pratice time in 50% nutritionist / 50% skating lesson from the very basics. He can't move his big butt at all.
-Bring back Baertschi for Schaffer.
-Hugues is an absolute beauty.
-Wake up Ferland, the season has started he's still in off season mode.
-Brings Petterson his old blades with last season radius.
-Newell to the open/close bench door management
-Burn the Orca.
-Did i say Hugues is a beauty ? i will

-i need coffee.

57 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

Is Calgary crap?

And two games into the season with new players, i hope we all know it may take some games.

It’s a new season for every team, thats not an excuse but its amazing how many excuses we have. After 50 years I don't care, i want a cup!

11 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Not that bad, need a few tweaks :
-Edler out of the lineup please and fast. Please Tryamkin it's time to take his place.
-Leivo out of the PP1.
-Split Boeser pratice time in 50% nutritionist / 50% skating lesson from the very basics. He can't move his big butt at all.
-Bring back Baertschi for Schaffer.
-Hugues is an absolute beauty.
-Wake up Ferland, the season has started he's still in off season mode.
-Brings Petterson his old blades with last season radius.
-Newell to the open/close bench door management
-Burn the Orca.
-Did i say Hugues is a beauty ? i will

-i need coffee.

1-4 I agree.

5 - not that impressed yet.

6 - he's a Canuck now, he's turning the other cheek.

7 - LOL

8 - What? you want more too many men penalties?

9 - I can not ever emphasize how much I agree with you on this one.

10 - see #5.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

1 hour ago, Snapshot85 said:

I believe erikson dressed for pregame... because Furland still fighting illness.. just dont seem himself

I think you may be right, considering that his m.o. is to play like a monster!  He's still sick (hopefully not post-concussive syndrome) and/or is still trying to get into game form after missing most of the preseason and adjusting to a new team.

• Like 1

I didn't get to see the game but saw the results and frowned but then I remembered after the EDM game was seeing we outshot them so I looked at the SOG total tonight and same thing..

Last year and the year before, the majority of what I saw that disheartened me was us being outshot which was depressing as ____ but 2 games in, against a bad team and a good team we outshot both and if we keep it up the goals will start to come.

I didn't think, at first, counting the first one as a shocker but the second one again a good flames team is a lot better than last year getting outshot on a regular basis but at least it's a step in the right direction. Hope we keep it up while our team with the new arrivals start to gel together with our regulars and string some wins together but at least it's good to see.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3