The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Oct. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Problems carried forward from last season:

- Elias not scoring and doing too much 

- Brock’s shot is neutralized on the power play, he is a one dimensional player so far

- Leivo has size and effort but no finish, the puck is just half second quicker than his brain/instinct/reaction

Bright spots:

- Pearson wants to revive his career and is working hard

- Gaudette is providing bottom 6 energy in the limited sample so far

- Hughes impresses despite small size and average shooting ability

- Myers is a legit top 4 D, you can see how he won the Calder Trophy

-  Virtanen is trying to dictate plays rather than chase the puck

- Sutter is doing fine on the wing 

- Markstrom is playing well 

- overall D looks significantly improved compared to last season

My humble proposals:

- Switch Brock onto 3rd line with Gaudette, this is now the new second line

- Elias plays wing on the second line with our captain, this is now our new top line, these 2 have chemistry

- Sutter centres the new third line

- Switch Brock to the second PP unit, insert Leivo or Virtanen into Brock’s spot, Brock’s shot is ineffective maybe the other 2 shooters can do better on the PP, last season both Leivo and Virtanen sniped in goals from distance

Edited by Maddogy
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2

17 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

We need a captain badly. Whip these boys into shape. Hold Sutter, Schaller and Eriksson accountable. Green gives them free passes and its really affecting the whole team.

So a guy having a C on his chest will make him more of a vocal leader than he is today?

Ok.

14 minutes ago, bree2 said:

me either. they should  load up the first pp and put Pearson or Horvat out there, and sorry but get rid of Newell Brown

Pearson's career high on the PP is 8 pts in 200 minutes (3rd most TOI among Fs in LA that season).   Based on production not sure he should even be on a unit.

They added some talent this year.  You could predict a let down in the intensity level because they think that they are good now.  I think that the 3rd period showed that they get that they still have to work hard.

The number of missed passes is so frustrating.

They'll be fine when the rust is off AND when they start playing hard again

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Not a big fan of Leivo on PP1

I was also thinking, when did he become a go to guy? 1st pp players should be:

EP

BB

Horvat

Miller

Ferland

Hughes

Myers

Edler

Plenty to choose from. 

Regardless, we have a number of new players, takes a bit to figure it out, give them a few games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I like your 5 x 5 lines - Horvats line needs a few more games the way it is though - same with the top line.   Miller is already a big commodity in the top six (was pretty sure he would be - and then completely sold in the pre-season, he’s maybe our best board guy and a great passer) id do this if the first line needs a spark - but hope they won’t need it - because Horvat also deserves a guy like him on his line.   Pearson is playing above his pay grade with him and I have a suspicion one of those guys playing on their off wing might make things difficult (would try Bear first) but you never know.

Ferland will pick it up - so will BB.  Both didn’t get enough/much camp in...think LA will be different...they also play CAL just before us - we will be pretty fresh.

Agree with your points. It I think I would move Miller to our top line. If Boeser does not pick up his game he may need to move to the second line. Bottom line is Petey needs to play with our top 2 wingers. 

Rust, rust, rust.....if I see another pass behind a guy that halts a zone entry or breakout I'm going to SCREAM!!!

Lots of new players in key positions, not enough playing time together, and the talent level is up on paper....so they're good right?  But they still have to work hard.  That was their identity last year.  Where did the hard work go?

The good news is that we saw some urgency and emotion in the 3rd period last night.  I think the wake up call has been received.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

20 goal threat that's never scored 20 goals?

You get the idea, no need to bark. He’s been producing at that pace for the Canucks, if he was to ever be fortunate enough to play 82. 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

We had camp and pre season games to develop and test chemistry but why waste those chances when you can burn regular season games developing it?

this team has way more issues than chemistry after 2 games. A crap power play and the fact our coaches don’t know how many players are allowed on the ice 

Relax and get a god damn grip!!! Christ!! 

Edler always goes into beast mode when his contract is up. Now that he's renewed. He loses his edge. And becomes mistake prone Edler. 

I'd take him off the power play completely. First unit Hughes and Myers. Second Unit either Benn and Stecher, with Tanev alternating. 

I'd rather gamble with Hughes making a rookie mistake, than a veteran mistake from Edler. 

Leivo should be used for PK units, not on the power play. 

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Pettersson Miller (Makes room for Petey to work his magic)

Ferland Gaudette Sutter

Leivo Beagle Schaller 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Ya you think with the added skill to the forword positions they would show a better drive into the offensive end or at least a better dump and chase but all looks to familiar

You see it all the time when a star player comes back from injury.  The other players take their foot off the gas and let up and teams look worse.  It takes a game or 2 to get it back together

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

don't want to jinx him, but Kole Lind can play hockey and play it well....he will be a call up when injuries hit.

You know what Pete

I hope they just let him play down in Utica and taste some pro success

It is early......nice start though