The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Oct. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I can remember  at the end of last year when  Quinn showed up and Petey, Brock and Quinn were 3 on 3, the other teams could not handle their movement.

Fast forward to last night and the 1st PP were basically just static...……..so easy to defend

Watched the Tor/Mtl game and their PP's were continually rotating/moving.....very much Russian Red Army from way back when...….no one had a position in a sense

But the opposition could not guard against it...…………..this is the new way of the NHL...….MOVEMENT

ARE you friggin listening Newell

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Jake was pretty physical last night. Not in an "open ice hit" way but on the boards and in scrums he used his size well.  Ferland is still getting his legs under him after that illness and missing a bunch of pre-season.    

Yeah, I noticed Jake a lot more than usual.  I think that Ferland will be a fabulous mentor for Jake.

It was hard to watch the game at times; what with the disorganized play, terrible passes and missed shots on goal.  The pp looked even worse.  Of course with so many new players on the team, it will require more game time to develop the chemistry required for them to play as a cohesive unit. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup Jake did look much better. He wasn't afraid to hold Lucic against the boards either, got in the face of other guys too. Maybe this new look 3rd line with AG is what Jake needs.... thats what I'm hoping. 

If he can play like that consistently, he has a place on the team going forward.  He will generate some offense just because he has some skill but the way he played last night is needed even if he doesn't produce as much offense.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I noticed Jake a lot more than usual.  I think that Ferland will be a fabulous mentor for Jake.

It was hard to watch the game at times; what with the disorganized play, terrible passes and missed shots on goal.  The pp looked even worse.  Of course with so many new players on the team, it will require more game time to develop the chemistry required for them to play as a cohesive unit. 

It was a hot mess to watch for the most part.  I think playing with tenacity is difficult in isolation.  Having one guy that is expected to go out and play a hard, physical game doesn't work.  You need a few of them to feed off each other and support/stand-up for together.  Jake has never seemed like he was comfortable being that guy on his own.  Having teammates that also play a heavy game and that will have your back, makes one more confident and aggressive.

• Upvote 3

Quinn on the 1st pp unit please! There's no point in trying to balance both pp units if the result is both units suck. Most teams load up pp 1 and play it for the majority of the time, while the 2nd unit gets scraps. Put Hughes and horvat back on pp 1! 

Ferland needs to start hitting people!  I can handle the losses, but I just want the game to be exciting. Coming off the habs/leafs game, this game was a real snoozefest in comparison. Just give me some exciting scoring chances please! 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup Jake did look much better. He wasn't afraid to hold Lucic against the boards either, got in the face of other guys too. Maybe this new look 3rd line with AG is what Jake needs.... thats what I'm hoping. 

I think part of the issue with Jake, and one of my few criticisms of TG, is that's been almost exclusively stick and very little carrot.  After awhile you lose hope that you'll ever get the carrot, so you quit trying.

TG needs to make sure Jake gets more consistent rewards when he's doing what is asked of him........and despite all the crap people talk about Jake, he's actually one of the more consistent, value added players on the team.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Quinn on the 1st pp unit please! There's no point in trying to balance both pp units if the result is both units suck. Most teams load up pp 1 and play it for the majority of the time, while the 2nd unit gets scraps. Put Hughes and horvat back on pp 1! 

Ferland needs to start hitting people!  I can handle the losses, but I just want the game to be exciting. Coming off the habs/leafs game, this game was a real snoozefest in comparison. Just give me some exciting scoring chances please! 

I actually really enjoyed the Canucks game.......both teams had a lot of energy and there was a good amount of emotion in the game.

• Upvote 2