The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Alex Biega to the Red Wings for David Pope

Loved Biega's heart n soul approach to the game, I hope he can land a regular spot in Motown.

Remember how Yannick Weber did in Nashville after he left here. I hope for more of the same.

Jalen Chatfield has moved up on the RHD depth chart.

• Cheers 1

Must be some good talks with Tryamkin possibly or some other depth that's coming in eventually which meant Biega's role is likely over. Or maybe with Rafferty looking impressive in camp, Biega had been surpassed as the first call up. We simply have done him a solid as a thank you for his services.

I wish nothing but the best for him. Hopefully he doesn't plaster any of our guys if we face him in the future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This has to be Benning doing Biega a favour. We lose this deal badly imo. Thankfully, it's not a hugely consequential deal. I still maintain that Biega was probably the better #7 option over Fantenberg.

I don't think it was about winning or losing a deal. I think it was the dual intent of moving a one way NHL contract from Utica (there's too many already) and giving Biega a real opportunity elsewhere. We're at the point where it's better to call up young d-men to see what we've got rather than calling up a 31 year old who is what he is. Regardless of the return it's good for Biega and good for us.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Must be some good talks with Tryamkin possibly or some other depth that's coming in eventually which meant Biega's role is likely over. Or maybe with Rafferty looking impressive in camp, Biega had been surpassed as the first call up. We simply have done him a solid as a thank you for his services.

I wish nothing but the best for him. Hopefully he doesn't plaster any of our guys if we face him in the future.

Honestly, thinking this has anything to do with Tryamkin seems a little far fetched to me. Like that's stretching it to the point where Tryamkin becomes 10 foot 2! lol If it would have anything to do with Tryamkin, you would think something like this would happen AFTER Tryamkin gets signed.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Honestly, thinking this has anything to do with Tryamkin seems a little far fetched to me. Like that's stretching it to the point where Tryamkin becomes 10 foot 2! lol If it would have anything to do with Tryamkin, you would think something like this would happen AFTER Tryamkin gets signed.

Biega has already been sent down and likely surpassed by Rafferty. If Tryamkin does sign, it won't be until late in the year at the earliest. The point is that possibly (no certainty) that in addition that we are comfortable knowing our depth is improving, so we are giving Biega the opportunity to extend his NHL career on a team that may give him a better opportunity. Seems strange to cut our RD depth otherwise.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Biega has already been sent down and likely surpassed by Rafferty. If Tryamkin does sign, it won't be until late in the year at the earliest. The point is that possibly (no certainty) that in addition that we are comfortable knowing our depth is improving, so we are giving Biega the opportunity to extend his NHL career on a team that may give him a better opportunity. Seems strange to cut our RD depth otherwise.

I don't doubt the trade was for Biega to have a chance elsewhere, which just puts further emphasis on this having absolutely nothing to do with Tryamkin. As you said, he wouldn't even be signing for at least a few months (if he signs at all). That alone concretely proves this has nothing to do with Tryamkin in my opinion and everything to do with Biega himself.

If we gave a connect-the-dots book to CDC, I swear we'd see every number connected with every other number just from the overthinking that goes on. Not directing that at you or anything by the way. Just a general observation I've noticed.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its a good move for Alex career wise. I remember in an interview a while back he wants to end up working in the players association so this is great for him to make more contacts in the league, plus he probably gets more NHL time too. I'm happy for him. 

Biega's last season no doubt.  Good luck Alex.  He's a Harvard boy.  Brains there, he'll do well in the PA

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't doubt the trade was for Biega to have a chance elsewhere, which just puts further emphasis on this having absolutely nothing to do with Tryamkin. As you said, he wouldn't even be signing for at least a few months (if he signs at all). That alone concretely proves this has nothing to do with Tryamkin in my opinion and everything to do with Biega himself.

If we gave a connect-the-dots book to CDC, I swear we'd see every number connected with every other number just from the overthinking that goes on. Not directing that at you or anything by the way. Just a general observation I've noticed.

Still not sure how it concretely proves anything. We (may) know we have depth potentially coming in and Biega likely doesn't have much of a chance here anymore. Of course in direct relation, it's more likely that Rafferty has pushed him out (at least for this season), but that doesn't mean their aren't other factors in play here. Doing him a favour is simply a reward for his service here without any complaint.

We are a team that too often goes several deep into our D depth and we have a Tanev on the right side that's almost a sure thing. Depleting the depth has to be worth it.

Now the idea is pure speculation on my part, but Benning wants Tryamkin back and Tryamkin sounds like he wants another go in the NHL. To me, this furthers that idea, but that's just my opinion.