The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Alex Biega to the Red Wings for David Pope

Biega will open the eyes of a few Wings' fans, if he gets called up, as to why he's been around long as he was.

I feel that he and Stecher are similar type players, and now that Benn is here too, no room for him anymore.

Brisebois coming up looks like a surefire replacement for Tanev either after, or during this season.

We are not as bad off as some think or say in D depth. Teves and Rafferty are on the bubble now,  too.

I am interested to see if we try to poach more, older ready to play college guys this spring too.

I think the writing was on the wall for Biega when we signed Rafferty. He got bumped back further in the depth chart. 

That being said, he was the perfect depth guy for us and was consistently our most physical defenceman despite his size. He deserves to be in the NHL, so good on JB for finding a new home for him. I wish him the best in Detwah.

• Upvote 2

Classy move by JB, though it's not anything that another GM would not do for a highly regarded character player which Alex Biega is (e.g., Dubas trading Leivo to the Canucks for Carcone).

I really liked Biega as the no. 7 guy on the point.  Probably one of the best 12-14 minutes per game d-man in the NHL.  I haven't seen his advanced stats, but I'm going to guess his numbers per 60 minutes are quite strong.  It is just when he was asked to play more than 15 minutes per game, his game would fall off.  Loved his heart...gonna miss him and wish him a successful time in Detroit.  Maybe Alex Biega will find his inner Brian Rafalski during his time in Detroit.  I hope he does.

On Dave Pope...turns out he's the second Pope to be on an NHL contract with the Canucks.  Anyone remember the first Pope?

I digress...good luck and success to Alex Biega.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

Jim is a class act. This will be good for his rep as our GM as well. Now it's up to Alex to prove he belongs in the NHL with Detroit. My only hope is Detroit doesn't flip him at the deadline for a pick. :lol:

Good on Jim tho.

• Like 1

Makes ZERO sense. Yes I understand the veteran limit in the AHL but giving up a solid #8 D on a team that is routinely cursed with a depleted defense season by season?

For a 25 year old who has not played a single NHL game? 

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 1