The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Alex Biega to the Red Wings for David Pope

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's moves like this that reflect well on a GM in the eyes of players. His former teammates (in Vancouver and Utica) will be sad to see him leave the organization and team but will be happy for him getting an opportunity to play. 

Players wanna play, you never know how long a guy has in a sports career. Management did Bulldog a favour and found him a home, even though it required a trade they didn't win. I hope he does well there, he's been one of the players we've iced the last few years that has always given his all every night. 

Players trust Benning, if they see him being true to his word. That important during contract discussions and for FA signings... agent will be able to tell their clients thay are going to be taken good care of in Vancouver. 

And finally it reflects well on the organisation as a whole. 

Well done Jim Benning. 

• Cheers 3

Bulldog was usually the first depth D called up when the inevitable injuries to the blue line came the last few seasons and always gave it his all and had NHL experience. Knowing the Canucks luck a couple of D will go down and there will be rookies back there in the form of Rafferty/Brisebois/Teves etc. If the hockey gods have any mercy for the Canucks this season the D will stay healthy at least until the young Comet D get their AHL legs under them for 10-15 games this season before they start getting called up.

I like this. He deserves a chance to play in the NHL, I think he's earned that.

Creates more space and opportunity for our younger players on defense and clears out a veteran who wouldn't be able to play every night in the AHL due to their veterans rule.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good for Biega.  He deserves a chance to play in the NHL.

Looks like Pope has some upside but he's already 25.  At the least he provides even more depth at wing and is still a RFA next summer (if the Canucks want to keep him).

The Red Wings will probably be surprisingly good this year and I'm not just saying that because of their good start.  A lot of their young players took awhile to get going but their investment into development looks to be paying off.  They were actually respectable last season all things considered.  The main wildcard for them is in goal but they have a good amount of talent at forward and on D.

Biega is a warrior

Would have been a great leader / teacher in Utica. 

Sad to see him go but happy for him.  He deserves to be on a club that has some NHL time for him.

Canucks got very little for him but i guess that is reality for an aging 7 -8 d man that is a tweener . AHL / NHL.

Forwards that are in ECHL at 24/25 yrs old are pretty much finished... and typically should be looking at European clubs...

Did Canucks save some cap space on this deal ?

• Like 1