The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Alex Biega to the Red Wings for David Pope

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The team is letting the youth get a crack now. They've been steeping in Utica for a while, so time to give them a chance. Rafferty had a great camp and Chatfield had a long look as right sides dmen. If that is depleted, then we have Fantenberg and Benn who could play in the right side, which opens up a chance for Sautner and Teves and maybe even Juolevi in the future. There's also the chance that we may even add both Tryamkin and Rathbone by season's end. Our depth is growing and Biega was the odd man out. Excellent team guy, but we are a growing team and Biega was always a placeholder and did his job admirably. We gave him new opportunity to keep an NHL paycheque (or a higher likelihood of it).

When you put it that way I agree with you. The youngersters can get a shot when injuries hit. Just doesn't seem like Benning's historical actions though, he usually signs a bunch of UFAs and take the youngster's spots ; cough Fantenberg. 

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If the difference in making the playoffs and not, rests on 31 year old, tweener defence man. Then the Canucks are far more screwed. 

If effort determined how a players career would be, Beiga would be an all-star. But if you watch him, he's fine for stretches of 3-4 games. But then struggles the longer he plays in the NHL. 

No one's ever made that conclusion, you are making it up yourself. Everyone should know that we have been injure plagued for the last few seasons and we should be well prepared for it with depth if we want to make the playoffs; which Biega is and has proven to work well. 

7 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

When you put it that way I agree with you. The youngersters can get a shot when injuries hit. Just doesn't seem like Benning's historical actions though, he usually signs a bunch of UFAs and take the youngster's spots ; cough Fantenberg. 

Placeholders. Benning signed guys to give the youth competition and more time to get season before throwing them into the fire. They didn't want to have an Edmonton situation. Fantenberg now takes over Biega's role while being able to play both sides on D (dual depth) while allowing said youth to get bigger minutes (another reason to move Biega) in Utica rather than the pressbox. It may be his historical action, but there is a purpose and JB is making changes as the team grows in depth and quality, something they didn't have in abundance when he took over.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Except we do. The stats showed how much he played. Half the games past 2 seasons. D corps ALWAYS plagued with injuries so he always played. 

Except now...  we have more talent in our young core.....biega wouldn't make it to the big club.... he would be about number 4 or 5 reserve defenseman... not number 1.

• Cheers 1

Short people song in my head....

Lyrics
Short people got no reason
Short people got no reason to live
They got little hands
Little eyes
They walk around tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes on their nasty little feet
Well I don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
Don't want no short people 'round here
A fool such as I
(All men are brothers until the day they die)
It's a wonderful world
Short people got nobody
Short people got nobody
Short people got nobody to love
They got little baby legs
They stand so low
You gotta pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars that go "beep, beep, beep"
They got little voices goin' "peep, peep, peep"
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
Don't want no short people 'round here
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Makes ZERO sense. Yes I understand the veteran limit in the AHL but giving up a solid #8 D on a team that is routinely cursed with a depleted defense season by season?

For a 25 year old who has not played a single NHL game? 

As much as I love Biega at this point he's probably not even our third defense call up now. 

Brisebois, Rafferty and Sautner are realistically ahead of him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Short people song in my head....

Lyrics
Short people got no reason to live
They got little hands

Man the 70's had some weird(but awesome) tunes. So my pick for 2019-20 entrance tune? "Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road"!