The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

Rate this topic

Odd.

Problem is with Ferlund and Boeser there is zero speed, it's a very slow line with those two.  I know I am going to get flamed but why not move Petey to the wing, I understand the need to develop him at center but there is plenty of time to do that, it isn't a race and we have plenty of centers.  

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed. Its absurd. I can't believe anyone who watched him produce with Vanek & Gagner could think he's a one dimensional shooter.

Even the elite goal scorer (like Boeser) have the IQ to make the right pass at the right time. Having that level IQ is why they are so good (as goal scorers) in the first place. 

When people talk about one dimension, that dimension is offense, not just shooting.  Where he lacks, greatly, is on defense.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

EP will be fine, just fine.

Get back to us at the 20gm game mark - we can reassess then.  

I agree he will be fine, and it is only 2 games into this season. But if we want to compete for a playoff spot we need to turn things around sooner than later. I think sending 2 skilled guys down in Sven and Goldy was a mistake while keeping 2 so called grinders aka lost puppies on the ice in LE and TS.

Bring up Sven and Goldy and move down TS and LE. Look at moving a F for a late round pick or prospect. We have a TON of Grinders, need to have MORE Skill in the lineup. Skill scores, Grinders don't.

Grinders: Eriksucks, Schaller, Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Pearson, Roussel, Virtanen, Leivo

Skill: Pistol Pete, Bo, Brock, JT, Ferly-bit of both, Gaud- hopefully 1 day

Looks like a pretty BLEAK Forward group with not a ton of Scoring/Skill does it not!?

Bring back Sven, he is a legit top 9 playmaking F!

Goldy is a guy with skill who lacks confidence/drive just like Jake imo. They know 1 or 2 mistakes and in the Coach's DogHouse they go

Goldy can be in/out of the lineup with Motte or Gaud if he needs a break.

Baer Gaud Roussel - is a line I would like to see when Rous is back with us, until then slot Jake or Ferly in that spot. Bump Jake into the top six for a bit...see what happens!? Kid hasn't really ever gotten a long look in that role. I know his decisions can be poor sometimes with his seemingly lower hocke IQ but give him a 10 game run and see what he can do!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Problem is with Ferlund and Boeser there is zero speed, it's a very slow line with those two.  I know I am going to get flamed but why not move Petey to the wing, I understand the need to develop him at center but there is plenty of time to do that, it isn't a race and we have plenty of centers.  

I agree, I would try this line for a couple games

Miller Petey Virtanen - Lots of speed and hopefully some snarl as well

Then you got: Ferland Bo Brock as a #2 line

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not something to not be concerned about.  He needs to find his groove and I think he and Boes need to be split up ........they're far too easy to shut down

I agree,slot Brock with Bo again, they did well together with who was it...Sven on LW or someone else?

This is simple, bring up Baertschi where he belongs.  Then put him back with Bo and Boeser.  We know they had a ton of chemistry together.

Then put Miller and Pearson with Pettersson to retrieve those pucks and get to the net.

Ferland goes with Gaudette and Virtanen for an excellent 3rd line.

Miller-Pettersson-Pearson

Baertschi-Bo-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This is simple, bring up Baertschi where he belongs.  Then put him back with Bo and Boeser.  We know they had a ton of chemistry together.

Then put Miller and Pearson with Pettersson to retrieve those pucks and get to the net.

Baertschi-Bo-Boeser

I don't mind that, but Bo, Miller and Pearson have been so dominant it'd be a shame to break them up.  If it were me, I'd decrease Peteys time and play the hell out of Bo's line and let Petey enjoy more favourable match ups.

• Cheers 4

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Baertschi-Bo-Boeser

I agree but I would swap Ferly and Pearson around. When Roussel is healthy he takes Pearson's spot. I think if possible we look to move 1 or both of Pearson and Leivo this season.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't mind that, but Bo, Miller and Pearson have been so dominant it'd be a shame to break them up.  If it were me, I'd decrease Peteys time and play the hell out of Bo's line and let Petey enjoy more favourable match ups.

Dominant in what way? I think they've only had 2 or 3 real strong periods, if I had to be honest. 

I'd like to see a line of Ferland/Petey/Miller and Pearson/Horvat/Boeser

If you are putting two of your best and only goal scorers on one line, this is an easy line matchup for the opposing team. Especially when the rest of the team can't consistently produce offense on their own. 

• Upvote 1

2 things.

1. TG and JB set the roster they wanted to start the season so unless there are injuries or the team goes 0-10 there won't be any call up's of Baer, Goldy or anybody this month.

2. I've never seen the word "gel" used more in my life the way its been used here the last few days. Across all posts. I wish there was a way to do a word count on the site for the # of times "gel" came up since Weds.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

First line C is one of the most important positions on any hockey team.  Petey is an awesome player but he is not a magician.  There are going to be some growing pains when you hand the 1c to a teenager (last year) and surround him with guys with not much more experience.    The other teams are gonna matchup their best d and checking lines against these guys and their production will be affected when the playbook is out on them.    EP will learn from this and will adapt.

Like someone else said maybe on the road they need to ride Bo's line more to get favourable matchups.   When they play home games Green can match him up a little more favorably. 

So  many assumptions going on here... Petey is "scared" other guys can handle the puck? what? how would you know that? Ferland can't find other players? umm... tell that to Aho and Teravainen, or little Johnny in Calgary. 

I think OP needs to back all this up with some numbers. 

• Upvote 2

17g 18a in his first 30 games (46g 49a full season pace)

11g 20a his last 41 games (22g 40a full season pace)

The 41st game this season is Jan. 2 against the Hawks. If EP can stay healthy it will be interesting to see where he is after that game, a full 82 games removed from taking the league by storm his first 30 games.

So which EP shows up these next 39 games?

40+g 95+pt "Petey"..? or

20+g 60+pt Elias..?

Someone wanna do a poll if EP doesn't get any points against the Kings on Weds?

P.S. there is nothing wrong with 20+ goal 60+ point 21yr old centers in the NHL so no matter how it turns out I suspect CDC won't get too crazy...right?

Edited by GritGrinder