The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

Rate this topic

Odd.

11 hours ago, Toews said:

Obviously its a stat that is a bit shocking considering how deadly Petey's shot actually is. But we also have to consider how gassed Petey looked at the end of last season. He admittedly wasn't himself for most of that sample size. Regardless though the OP's point still stands, we have too many guys who are here to perform a "role" and not enough that actually create their own offence. This means that much of the onus for scoring comes from one line. Teams have realized that if they shut down our top line, they will probably win the game.

Glass houses... Its a thread which actually has a premise with some substance, unlike any thread you have created.

Oh really?

I understand there are people on the internet that are bound to be jelly and haters but come on. No substance in ANY thread I've made EVER?

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

EP is a sniper that can dangle and pass, only problem is the team have Quinn hughes as the only other playmaker on the roster. That limits EP time and space 5 on 5. EP had great success scoring in the first half last season when goldobin was on the line... and when hes demoted.. EP goal scoring fell off a cliff... EP is a great player..  but you cant expect him to pass the puck to himself and dangle the whole team to score..  his primary skill is sniping.. playmaking is secondary.. right now hes more of a playmaker.. whenever he shoots at the goalie.. it's usually shooting at a goalie that's facing him ready for a shot rather than shooting at a goalie that had to slide across coz theres no one that can feed him the puck and he has to do it himself. EP have been struggling since the 2nd half of last season and early this season on this current roster.. I dont think its fatigue tbh.. coz he did just fine with Sweden at the world championship after the season ended with much higher skilled linemates 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Ha, ha. I’m just watching that movie on Netflix. I thought it was pretty cool quote. Wait....did we just become best friends?

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2019 at 10:15 PM, Baggins said:

Rather irrelevant. All bottom six that don't play with Pettersson. I still think Miller should be on that line rather than Ferland. He's a decent enough playmaker, good stick handler, goes to the net, and good at retrieving pucks. More tools than Ferland.

No way... So far we have seen a "sick and recovery time" out of Ferland, he hasn't been himself but he will get there and then watch.. can hardly wait..

Probably another week or so, maybe a bit longer but losing weight and strength is something you have to work on after something like that. 

On his game, Ferland is exactly who Petey and Flow need.

Imo the OP clearly missed that part and that's what the hurricane fans loved about Ferland so much..  power, tools and drive, and he's absolutely owned us before, however this is the CDC, patient bunch.. ok not so much..

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

On 10/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Odd. said:

Pettersson has not scored an even strength goal in the last 30 games. This exposes a glaring issue that faces with this team yet again. Even with the new additions:

We do not have enough "skilled" forwards to accomodate Petey and his skillset 5v5.

Petey has gotten most of his points from the power-play pretty much the last couple of months of last season as well as pre-season.

Boeser is not a playmaker. He can be a great passer, but he's not a playmaker. He needs someone to get the puck to his stick. When that happens, good things happen. But what about Pettersson? Who on this team can get him the puck? Who's that player that can find him thru seams? No one. No one on this roster has that ability. 

Horvat, Pearson, Ferland and Miller are great cycle players. They play well together because all the players are alike. But let's not kid ourselves, Pearson and Ferland can retrieve pucks but their ability to find guys is limited. Horvat tries to be a playmaker, but he's not, simply put. I've seen him too many times turn the puck over trying to do the extra move which then ends up in a minus. 

I'm quite concerned that Petey isn't being surrounded with enough skilled guys that can either get the puck to his stick or at the very least being able to receive and put the puck past the goalie. I have huge concerns about Boeser already. I understand he's coming back from an injury, and that he's missed a large portion of training camp/pre-season, but he's already very one-dimensional, which is something I've started noticing since last season. I also think Petey and Boeser aren't a great fit with each other, but that's a whole different topic.

The only player I've seen that's been able to read Petey is Quinn Hughes. Every time Petey recognizes Hughes is on the ice, he passes the puck to him almost any chance he can because he knows he can be reliable with the puck. That's why I'm seeing Petey hold on to the puck too long, it's like he's scared to pass the puck to a couple of guys in fear that they'll fumble the puck.

Every single game, our franchise star player continues to play more in frustration. I'm sorry, but our roster make up with the likes of Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, Sutter, Virtanen, and others is not going to help Petey's cause at all. 

The last couple of weeks dating back to pre-season have been unbearable and most frustrating hockey I've watched in years. And I'm left wondering why? Why is watching this team so frustrating even with the players we've brought in? 

I dont completely agree...

Maybe it's more important we change "HOW" we play the game.

Who carrys the puck... who is the playmaker?  On some teams it's the forwards on some it's the defense that drives the play. Look at SAN JOSE... who drives their play??? I can tell you... 2 skilled defenseman .... that's their playmakers.....and they have been successful... a team needs to adjust and work with what it has. ... now if we could only find a extreamly talented playmaking defenseman with high hockey IQ ...hmmm..  

I think we have more than enough talent... and I'm not saying hughes driving every play is a awnser all the time. I'm just saying we just need to tweak our mentality...   

I mean great players will drive the play and find a way no matter what.

Kopitar is on debatibly worst team in the league ... centers their first line... and still finds a way to score with almost no help. 

Vancouver has a hell of a lot more talent than LA

Pettersson will do the same. Rest easy my friend the scoring will come sooner rather than later.

Great players find a way.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:29 AM, shiznak said:

What’s even worst is that he’s only had 5 goals since being named to the all-star game.

What I worry about is us Canuck fans starting to sound like Leafs fans of the early 2000's when they considered Sundin a top 5 player and Tomas Kaberle as a potential Norris trophy D-man. Honestly, fans need to calm themselves down when calling players elite, seems so easy these days. Elite players don't go on 12-15 game goalless scoring streaks I'll tell you that much.

• Haha 1

I posted about this in gdt last game. 

Sure is concerning but he was awfully tired towards end of season.  He was getting checked closer as playoffs races started taking shape and teams revved up their intensity last quarter of the season. 

I expect EP to score 2 goals vs Kings tonight.

All will be well again. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:45 AM, Bitter Melon said:

Boeser gets slapped with the 'one dimensional' narrative by box score watchers who assume because he has more goals than assists he must be a useless shotgun riding triggerman. It happens a lot with players who have one particularly excellent skill, like his shot. People assume thats all they can do. That's not to say there aren't one-dimensional players, but I mean if Boeser is one-dimensional because his shot is good, Henrik must have been one-dimensional because he passed so much.

I think he has moments where he shows how well he can pass, but they're far outnumbered by some of his weaker giveaways by forcing bad passes through that require a lot of skill to pull off such as on the powerplay where he tries to go board to board with Petey. In his first season, his passing was actually the best he's had like most of his game. Would be nice to see his shot and passing ability return to form from his rookie season. 

On 10/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, RWMc1 said:

What I've been noticing is that both he and Boeser take long looks before they shoot. They need to move the puck quicker and get their shots off quicker. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Exactly. The net hasn't moved. Shoot at it. You know where it is. How many of Boeser's goals were scored in his rookie season because he didn't let the goalie set up. You don't need them all to be snipes if you're not allowing a goaltender to set his feet. His release is probably twice as slow as it used to be. Stop looking and fire. 

The 'roster make up' premise is nonsense.

The 'roster' needed more support for Pettersson - what it needed can be debated - but adding size, speed, grit to the wing - more forecheck, guys with the ability to go to the hard areas - was pretty much a no-brainer imo (as was the potential pushback around liberties and EP).  Arguing with the additions makes little sense imo.  The alternative - of adding a soft playmaker wouldn't necessarily 'help' either - at least not overall.   They have that option - in Goldobin - in Utica - but what happens to a Goldy EP Boeser line when not in possession?

And likewise where the blueline is concerned - the team has added Hughes - who will do anything but hamper EP's ability to find ice, it added Myers, who also moves the puck well (and has a heavy shot - something they were clearly hoping to add)....

People can get as panicky as they like - but trying to argue that the direction the team moved this offseason 'isn't helping' is a fishbowl perspective imo - "isn't helping' in the sense that two games haven't produced more Calder numbers.

Maybe it's the expectations that aren't 'helping'.  Realistically, EP is not going to endlessly reproduce his first half of last season.   He - and the team - still have work to do.

But one other thing that should 'help' - is a deeper, harder to play against second line = Horvat's group could/should be more threatening, not having to play as much matchup, and having added a winger upgrade - they 'should' be able to produce more secondary scoring (assuming Sutter and Beagle can remain healthy) - that 'could' take some pressure of EP's line, and force teams to divide their focus.  Anyhow, I'm prepared to give them some time (I find the pinball 'expectations' to be highly ironic on a certain level).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The 'roster make up' premise is nonsense.

The 'roster' needed more support for Pettersson - what it needed can be debated - but adding size, speed, grit to the wing - more forecheck, guys with the ability to go to the hard areas - was pretty much a no-brainer imo (as was the potential pushback around liberties and EP).  Arguing with the additions makes little sense imo.  The alternative - of adding a soft playmaker wouldn't necessarily 'help' either - at least not overall.   They have that option - in Goldobin - in Utica - but what happens to a Goldy EP Boeser line when not in possession?

And likewise where the blueline is concerned - the team has added Hughes - who will do anything but hamper EP's ability to find ice, it added Myers, who also moves the puck well (and has a heavy shot - something they were clearly hoping to add)....

People can get as panicky as they like - but trying to argue that the direction the team moved this offseason 'isn't helping' is a fishbowl perspective imo - "isn't helping' in the sense that two games haven't produced more Calder numbers.

Maybe it's the expectations that aren't 'helping'.  Realistically, EP is not going to endlessly reproduce his first half of last season.   He - and the team - still have work to do.

But one other thing that should 'help' - is a deeper, harder to play against second line = Horvat's group could/should be more threatening, not having to play as much matchup, and having added a winger upgrade - they 'should' be able to produce more secondary scoring (assuming Sutter and Beagle can remain healthy) - that 'could' take some pressure of EP's line, and force teams to divide their focus.  Anyhow, I'm prepared to give them some time (I find the pinball 'expectations' to be highly ironic on a certain level).

That's why I don't like the proposed break up of Bo, Miller and Pearson.........they were too much for the Oilers and Flames to handle and played pretty much every shift in the o-zone.  I think if they stay together they will start filling the net and effectively become the first line, leaving Petey's line with less mins, but more favourable match-ups

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's why I don't like the proposed break up of Bo, Miller and Pearson.........they were too much for the Oilers and Flames to handle and played pretty much every shift in the o-zone.  I think if they stay together they will start filling the net and effectively become the first line, leaving Petey's line with less mins, but more favourable match-ups

seems early to be mixing up the top 6 to me. Why not let the lines continue to gel? seems like everything has to be instant chemistry now. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Yeah that would help us a lot by opposing team putting their best line against P, B, and M.. leaving Bo Pearson and Miller control the game by pushing hard and scoring and winning games for us.. however we're 2 games in and time to pull it together the more Ferland gets his health and weight back and can start to dominate his half board side and feed pucks to Petey and Flow