The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

Rate this topic

Odd.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Weird seeing the player stats in the paper today, and not seeing Pettersson or Horvat as one of the Canucks top point getters. They never even made the list. But, the team averaging a goal a game so far, maybe if they had Terry Sawchuk in net they might win a few lol I'm joking around, because it's better than crying, after waiting months to see a team look so unorganized and out of sync. The Canucks had a few days off since Satutrday and I really hope Green worked on some things to get his players on the same page. I thought they played pretty well against CGY, but obviously not good enough. Losing back-to-back games against division rivals is not a good start. 

Your kidding right? I mean about the first part but you can relax, this is a team with new faces and it's not really fair to expect them to be playing anywhere near a well oil machine, it will still take more practices and games to get used to each other, no panic.

Edited by iceman64

On 10/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Odd. said:

Pettersson has not scored an even strength goal in the last 30 games. This exposes a glaring issue that faces with this team yet again. Even with the new additions:

We do not have enough "skilled" forwards to accomodate Petey and his skillset 5v5.

Petey has gotten most of his points from the power-play pretty much the last couple of months of last season as well as pre-season.

Boeser is not a playmaker. He can be a great passer, but he's not a playmaker. He needs someone to get the puck to his stick. When that happens, good things happen. But what about Pettersson? Who on this team can get him the puck? Who's that player that can find him thru seams? No one. No one on this roster has that ability. 

Horvat, Pearson, Ferland and Miller are great cycle players. They play well together because all the players are alike. But let's not kid ourselves, Pearson and Ferland can retrieve pucks but their ability to find guys is limited. Horvat tries to be a playmaker, but he's not, simply put. I've seen him too many times turn the puck over trying to do the extra move which then ends up in a minus. 

I'm quite concerned that Petey isn't being surrounded with enough skilled guys that can either get the puck to his stick or at the very least being able to receive and put the puck past the goalie. I have huge concerns about Boeser already. I understand he's coming back from an injury, and that he's missed a large portion of training camp/pre-season, but he's already very one-dimensional, which is something I've started noticing since last season. I also think Petey and Boeser aren't a great fit with each other, but that's a whole different topic.

The only player I've seen that's been able to read Petey is Quinn Hughes. Every time Petey recognizes Hughes is on the ice, he passes the puck to him almost any chance he can because he knows he can be reliable with the puck. That's why I'm seeing Petey hold on to the puck too long, it's like he's scared to pass the puck to a couple of guys in fear that they'll fumble the puck.

Every single game, our franchise star player continues to play more in frustration. I'm sorry, but our roster make up with the likes of Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, Sutter, Virtanen, and others is not going to help Petey's cause at all. 

The last couple of weeks dating back to pre-season have been unbearable and most frustrating hockey I've watched in years. And I'm left wondering why? Why is watching this team so frustrating even with the players we've brought in? 

oh.. look who scored.. lol can't keep an Alien down for long!

Wtg Petey...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

They still lack the talent required for playoffs. We have 2 legit star forwards that can play 1st line and Horvat who is a great 2 way center but limited offensively. Compare that to Toronto that has 4 star players and great young complimentary players like Kapanen  Johansen, Hyman etc. On a playoff team, Miller and Ferland are more likely in the 3rd line not 1st or 2nd line. Petersson needs to play with someone who has same skill set as him like a Panarin or Marner. Unfortunately we dont have players of those caliber on our team and the closest one we have is Boeser who is struggling this year. Hopefully Boeser figures it out soon otherwise would be a long season for the Canucks.

Wow. Not sure if you are serious, since this post is such absolute nonsense. If you bothered to watch last night's game, it must have come as quite a shock to you. Miller on the third line?

You know that last year on an offensively very deep Tampa team where he played a defensive role, Miller was tied for 108th in scoring among NHL forwards, right? As you may be aware, there are 31 teams x 3 first-line spots = 93 first line positions in the NHL, so 108th was top 2nd line production, while playing a defensive role.

And the previous 2 seasons, when he got to play offensive roles, he was 53rd and 72nd in scoring among NHL forwards, unquestionably 1st line production. When you combine his size, strength and grit with his first line productivity, any reasonable person would acknowledge that he is a first line player.

A team that has so much depth that a player like Miller is on their third line is not just a playoff team, they are the Cup favourite.

And Petey needs to play with one of the tiny handful of players in the world who have the same skill set he has? I think perhaps you are confusing him with a lesser player, maybe like a Nylander.

Your expectations are are so unrealistic that it is difficult to believe that you are serious. Trolling seems much more likely.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

On 10/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, stawns said:

That's why I don't like the proposed break up of Bo, Miller and Pearson.........they were too much for the Oilers and Flames to handle and played pretty much every shift in the o-zone.  I think if they stay together they will start filling the net and effectively become the first line, leaving Petey's line with less mins, but more favourable match-ups

I like MIller's playmaking with EP - I think he'll probably generate more on that line than Ferland - although with Ferland you get more 'deterrent' effect where EP is  concerned. Still - I thought from the beginning that Miller would be playing with EP (that may change once Ferland catches his wind/gets going) - but where Horvat's line is concerned, I don't believe they need Miller to be hard to handle - if you put Ferland, or Leivo there you still have a difficult line to handle (Leivo gives that line a right-handed shot).  

I have also loved the Sutter line through three games - whether it's been Gaudette or Ferland with Sutter and Virtanen, that line has been very effective two ways (and could generate secondary scoring itself, even in hard minutes, particularly with Beagle's line being there to play strict shutdown/matchup).

The 'makeup' of the lineup - particularly the forward group - is literally designed to enable EP's line - I'd be surprised that people still don't seem to grasp that, but this is CDC after all.

Another thing that is highly advantageous imo is the emergence of Gaudette - who is clearly ready to play a winger role at this level - but he also gives Green the situational ability to throw together another secondary scoring line and sneak him some (somewhat sheltered) shifts as a center - for the most part he has been on Sutter's wing, but having him in the mix gives Green another option/weapon and another wrinkle/difficulty for opposition coaches' to deal with.   I think people are likely to see what Sutter is capable of if he spends a season with the kind of wingers he currently has - and that is keeping in mind that the guy he really excelled with (post Dorsett) has been Roussel, who will also add another level of quality when he returns.  I think that was part of the calculation Green made when he moved Ferland to Sutter's wing at times last night - that line can be another effective counterpunching secondary scoring line.

I don't know what the substance of the criticisms of the 'makeup' are - but I love the makeup of the lineup - I got virtually everything I wanted and am going to love watching this group evolve.  I also think with a Hughes-Tanev pairing and Stecher on the '3rd' pairing, it makes sense to spread grit throughout the forward group so there's always a bit of heaviness on the ice at forward to support these guys.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow. Not sure if you are serious, since this post is such absolute nonsense. If you bothered to watch last night's game, it must have come as quite a shock to you. Miller on the third line?

You know that last year on an offensively very deep Tampa team where he played a defensive role, Miller was tied for 108th in scoring among NHL forwards, right? As you may be aware, there are 31 teams x 3 first-line spots = 93 first line positions in the NHL, so 108th was top 2nd line production, while playing a defensive role.

And the previous 2 seasons, when he got to play offensive roles, he was 53rd and 72nd in scoring among NHL forwards, unquestionably 1st line production. When you combine his size, strength and grit with his first line productivity, any reasonable person would acknowledge that he is a first line player.

A team that has so much depth that a player like Miller is on their third line is not just a playoff team, they are the Cup favourite.

And Petey needs to play with one of the tiny handful of players in the world who have the same skill set he has? I think perhaps you are confusing him with a lesser player, maybe like a Nylander.

Your expectations are are so unrealistic that it is difficult to believe that you are serious. Trolling seems much more likely.

I'd add to this that a shiny forward group alone is not what makes a team a threat in the playoffs/contender (you'd think that 3 consecutive first round exits might be a clue to people that the Leafs need more than 4 'star' forwards to advance through a playoff grind.

People can say what they want about the 'lack' of talent beyond EP, Boeser, Horvat - I could not disagree more with that assessment.  EP does not need another small, skilled winger playmaker in order to excel - he needs precisely the kind of players the team went out and acquired - Miller is not only an excellent playmaker, one of the fundamental elements EP and Boeser can use in a winger, but he also has size, he has speed, he is driven/has a motor, he is versatile (can play in the skilled and the hard areas) - and he brings both a forecheck and the defensive game of an NHL center.  We've already seen (last night) Miller being able to take ozone (or dzone for that matter) draws while playing with EP (an area Pettersson is still developing - he was 41% in the faceoff circle last year...he can now start plays on the wing and likely wind up with the puck about 10% more of the time).   The complaints about players like MIller being inadequate are not informed imo - the guy has an extremely balanced/versatile skill set - that fits exceptionally well with EP and Boeser - and moreover he's still young/just entering his prime and he comes with an excellent contract.  There are times you need to spend to get what complements your team - and in this instance, they spent to further enable their key young skilled forwards - whether people realize that or not.

And the 'additional' part - the team not only just drafted Podkolzin (another highly skilled forward with NHL pwf potential - and Hoglander) - but the quality and depth of a team's blueline is every bit as vital as a shiny forward group.   People can continue to fluff the Leafs all they want - but the Leafs are shallow beyond Reilly, Muzzin, and Barrie, Ceci...  Marincin, Holl, Sandin = is not exactly an intimidating depth group of D, and while the Leafs have been quite fortunate where the health of their blueline is concerned, I'd be interested to see that team try to sustain itself with a single injury to that top 4 - that blueline gets even more shallow in a hurry with one mere injury.  I don't find their shutdown/matchup forward group to be particularly impressive either - I think Gauthier and Moore have potential, but again, their forward depth is also a question mark = does not exactly spell "contender" in spite of the fishbowling over their '4 forwards'....people have been calling them Stanley Cup contenders for three years already on the back of a shiny forward group - to me that does not spell 'informed' / that is not necessarily what it takes to build a playoff success.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/elias-pettersson-vancouver-canucks-1.5315986

From the man himself:

"Now they know who I am, they know what I am capable of," Pettersson said. "I think maybe they are putting more focus on me. It's up to me to come up with new ways to beat them. I think I haven't done that these first games. I have been playing too slow."

I agree . Line combos is more important then anything else in hockey,..

just look at james neal.. the guy sucks with the wrong line mates but put him with mcdavid and he is leading the league in goals.. LOL

WHY ? cause he can be a pylon and  hit the net..  Mcdavid can find him.. miracle combo I was calling when the trade went through..

Who should petey play with ?

obviously hughes, but I want to see Miller and Boeser with him.. Miller is good enough to help free up space for both of them.  Id pick virtanen to play with peterson but people would think im crazy.. pretty sure itd work though. Peterson needs a power forward. Brock is not a power forward.. and ferland .. is not a good enough power forward if he is..

we need a Todd Bertuzzi to play with Peterson..

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Odd. said:

Pettersson has not scored an even strength goal in the last 30 games. This exposes a glaring issue that faces with this team yet again. Even with the new additions:

We do not have enough "skilled" forwards to accomodate Petey and his skillset 5v5.

Petey has gotten most of his points from the power-play pretty much the last couple of months of last season as well as pre-season.

Boeser is not a playmaker. He can be a great passer, but he's not a playmaker. He needs someone to get the puck to his stick. When that happens, good things happen. But what about Pettersson? Who on this team can get him the puck? Who's that player that can find him thru seams? No one. No one on this roster has that ability. 

Horvat, Pearson, Ferland and Miller are great cycle players. They play well together because all the players are alike. But let's not kid ourselves, Pearson and Ferland can retrieve pucks but their ability to find guys is limited. Horvat tries to be a playmaker, but he's not, simply put. I've seen him too many times turn the puck over trying to do the extra move which then ends up in a minus. 

I'm quite concerned that Petey isn't being surrounded with enough skilled guys that can either get the puck to his stick or at the very least being able to receive and put the puck past the goalie. I have huge concerns about Boeser already. I understand he's coming back from an injury, and that he's missed a large portion of training camp/pre-season, but he's already very one-dimensional, which is something I've started noticing since last season. I also think Petey and Boeser aren't a great fit with each other, but that's a whole different topic.

The only player I've seen that's been able to read Petey is Quinn Hughes. Every time Petey recognizes Hughes is on the ice, he passes the puck to him almost any chance he can because he knows he can be reliable with the puck. That's why I'm seeing Petey hold on to the puck too long, it's like he's scared to pass the puck to a couple of guys in fear that they'll fumble the puck.

Every single game, our franchise star player continues to play more in frustration. I'm sorry, but our roster make up with the likes of Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, Sutter, Virtanen, and others is not going to help Petey's cause at all. 

The last couple of weeks dating back to pre-season have been unbearable and most frustrating hockey I've watched in years. And I'm left wondering why? Why is watching this team so frustrating even with the players we've brought in? 

I have heard of "one dimensional" players but I get the feeling that this is how you think the game should be played. I think Toronto sees the game this way as well. The teams concerns stretch much farther then who should be playing with Petey. First of all, Petey is a young player who is still learning to play the game. He said himself that he is having a hard time with this. He is adjusting to the tighter checking and no one is going to help him with this but himself. He still needs to grow into a mans body and he will have a hard time with tight checking until this happens no matter what. Boes is a little farther along but is still developing as well. 

The players you are dissing are veteran players who are going to protect and help these young players with development. This team is not a finished product yet. 

You are on the right track in that I think Petey and Boes should play on separate lines as to shelter them a bit and surround them with veterans who can help them develop. Remember how much Vanek helped Boeser? 

This team is slowly gelling and this will take time and I think we need to be a little more patient and wait a little longer then a couple of games into the season IMO to see which direction we are going.

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I have heard of "one dimensional" players but I get the feeling that this is how you think the game should be played. I think Toronto sees the game this way as well. The teams concerns stretch much farther then who should be playing with Petey. First of all, Petey is a young player who is still learning to play the game. He said himself that he is having a hard time with this. He is adjusting to the tighter checking and no one is going to help him with this but himself. He still needs to grow into a mans body and he will have a hard time with tight checking until this happens no matter what. Boes is a little farther along but is still developing as well. 

The players you are dissing are veteran players who are going to protect and help these young players with development. This team is not a finished product yet. 

You are on the right track in that I think Petey and Boes should play on separate lines as to shelter them a bit and surround them with veterans who can help them develop. Remember how much Vanek helped Boeser? 

This team is slowly gelling and this will take time and I think we need to be a little more patient and wait a little longer then a couple of games into the season IMO to see which direction we are going.

In my opinion Boes is Not further along with his developing of the tight checking, They concentrate on EP more because he drives the line not Boes 

I agree that they may want to try separating them from each other (maybe use together on the pp)