The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

Rate this topic

Odd.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, FaninMex said:

Ferland was sick lost 10 pounds, He even said he lost some muscle mass. 

Boeser signed his contract late and the concussion protocol

Let the guys get into form before you do the chicken little dance.

Hey!!! Now cut that out! this is the CDC.. well thought out smart responses will not be tolerated here!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

In my opinion Boes is Not further along with his developing of the tight checking, They concentrate on EP more because he drives the line not Boes 

I agree that they may want to try separating them from each other (maybe use together on the pp)

I meant that he has had an extra year to gain muscle mass and experience in the NHL. Although he is not winning a lot of puck battles along the boards he as at least engaging and fighting for the puck. Bo was similar in his development as well along the boards. 

On 10/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Odd. said:

Pettersson has not scored an even strength goal in the last 30 games. This exposes a glaring issue that faces with this team yet again. Even with the new additions:

We do not have enough "skilled" forwards to accomodate Petey and his skillset 5v5.

Petey has gotten most of his points from the power-play pretty much the last couple of months of last season as well as pre-season.

Boeser is not a playmaker. He can be a great passer, but he's not a playmaker. He needs someone to get the puck to his stick. When that happens, good things happen. But what about Pettersson? Who on this team can get him the puck? Who's that player that can find him thru seams? No one. No one on this roster has that ability. 

Horvat, Pearson, Ferland and Miller are great cycle players. They play well together because all the players are alike. But let's not kid ourselves, Pearson and Ferland can retrieve pucks but their ability to find guys is limited. Horvat tries to be a playmaker, but he's not, simply put. I've seen him too many times turn the puck over trying to do the extra move which then ends up in a minus. 

I'm quite concerned that Petey isn't being surrounded with enough skilled guys that can either get the puck to his stick or at the very least being able to receive and put the puck past the goalie. I have huge concerns about Boeser already. I understand he's coming back from an injury, and that he's missed a large portion of training camp/pre-season, but he's already very one-dimensional, which is something I've started noticing since last season. I also think Petey and Boeser aren't a great fit with each other, but that's a whole different topic.

The only player I've seen that's been able to read Petey is Quinn Hughes. Every time Petey recognizes Hughes is on the ice, he passes the puck to him almost any chance he can because he knows he can be reliable with the puck. That's why I'm seeing Petey hold on to the puck too long, it's like he's scared to pass the puck to a couple of guys in fear that they'll fumble the puck.

Every single game, our franchise star player continues to play more in frustration. I'm sorry, but our roster make up with the likes of Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, Sutter, Virtanen, and others is not going to help Petey's cause at all. 

The last couple of weeks dating back to pre-season have been unbearable and most frustrating hockey I've watched in years. And I'm left wondering why? Why is watching this team so frustrating even with the players we've brought in? 

You have some amazing hockey insight...Keep it up, we need more comedy in these forums

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Petey didn't score tonight!!! Trade the bum! (The mocking continues)  ;)

I actually saw at least 2 really bad plays by him tonight - if not 3 or 4. Not that he isn't allowed to make mistakes, but he seemed quite off tonight imo.

Good thing we have a deep enough roster now to not have to solely rely on him. 

But yeah - Petey will be fine, and will lead our team in points in short order.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I actually saw at least 2 really bad plays by him tonight - if not 3 or 4. Not that he isn't allowed to make mistakes, but he seemed quite off tonight imo.

Good thing we have a deep enough roster now to not have to solely rely on him. 

But yeah - Petey will be fine, and will lead our team in points in short order.

Well yep but hey if the attention of a opponents best shutdown line really does shut Petey down to some degree then it's not that big of a deal really because now we have scoring coming in from everywhere, especially D of late has been chipping is as well so I think until Ferland is back on top line clearing out lanes and causing turnovers plus feeding Alien and Flow the goals will come but for now we keep getting W's and in the end that trumps personal player glory down to just doing what your paid to do.

Meh Petey is relatively new at this but he'll keep showing more, it's not like he's reached his ceiling but we need to give him some slack when he's showing his human side and isn't perfect, and as you pointed out, it takes everyone on the same page and not just 1 guy shouldering what should be shared but it's taking a step in that direction now that JB has upgraded our top 6 and D so this isn't a one trick pony team so much anymore and still are in the the start of the learning curve playing as a complete team so I know we'll get better as we go along but we're not playing anywhere near our potential at the moment but it will come!

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, The King of Kings said:

Sorry for bringing it back again, but I think it is a relevant thread for the current situation, and we can reassess now.

Who cares about this thread?

more interesting is how you can have only 12 posts in 14 years!  

How do you remember your sign in code thing?  

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

55 minutes ago, The King of Kings said:

Sorry for bringing it back again, but I think it is a relevant thread for the current situation, and we can reassess now.

A Swede by the name of William Nylander had two 20+ goal seasons. Then he missed training camp and some games due to holding out on a contract. He would get just 7 goals in the remaining 54 games. People were saying the exact same thing about him as they are with Petey now. Nylander got 31 goals the following year.

14 hours ago, The King of Kings said:

Fair enough.

At this point, I wouldn't be against management/coaching changes - but not just for the sake of change.  I'm for taking the time to find the right people for the right positions even if it means continuing on a downward trend for the time being.  It'll be better for the club in the long-term if they don't rush anything and make a hasty decision just because the fans/media are vociferous in their negativity.  I'm not for blowing the team up as many have suggested in the proposals forum.  I think with the right 3-4 moves this club could look/play very differently - whether that means making the playoffs this year, I'm not so sure about that anymore - that's a long, steep hill to overcome at this point unfortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m hoping my thread here becomes a laughing stock for the next 10 years.

Lets hope Petey gets it going :metal:

Jesus, this thread was also before COVID. Man have times changed 

Edited by Odd.