The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extinction Rebellion - More Traffic Disruption Planned For Vancouver Friday

DonLever

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What does this quotation of an article from the Vancouver Sun have to do with two morons climbing on top of a train car in London?  A train which, if I'm not mistaken, produces zero emissions.

from the article

As scientists, we have an obligation that extends beyond merely describing and understanding the natural world to taking an active part in helping to protect it. We note that the scientific community has already tried all conventional methods to draw attention to the crisis. We believe that the continued governmental inaction over the climate and ecological crisis now justifies peaceful and nonviolent protest and direct action, even if this goes beyond the bounds of the current law.

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

They got their cause on mainstream media... which got your attention.  That was their objective.

They knew it would piss off commuters.... they don't care .  It got them the media attention that they want this issue ( climate change )  to get. 

Rich white see you next tuesdays who are likely economically independent making life hell for ordinary people... yep they can go off themselves.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

from the article

As scientists, we have an obligation that extends beyond merely describing and understanding the natural world to taking an active part in helping to protect it. We note that the scientific community has already tried all conventional methods to draw attention to the crisis. We believe that the continued governmental inaction over the climate and ecological crisis now justifies peaceful and nonviolent protest and direct action, even if this goes beyond the bounds of the current law.

Going beyond the bounds of law is not peaceful.

• Upvote 1

Like Colin Kaepernick just because you succeeded in drawing attention on yourself doesn't mean you're getting a point across.  If you intentionally piss people off they won't care what your motives are.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

They got their cause on mainstream media... which got your attention.  That was their objective.

I thought their objective was to bring attention to climate change rather than pissing hundreds of people off. 

They knew it would piss off commuters.... they don't care .

That’s true. They don’t care as long as they’re being heard. It’s irretrievably stupid. 

It got them the media attention that they want this issue ( climate change )  to get. 

Flash in the pan. They’ll be forgotten about by tomorrow. Again. These idiots who stage these protests (especially on bridges) don’t realize that they’re actually contributing to emissions of greenhouse gases by forcing cars to idle so that they can pat themselves on the back for protesting. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

from the article

How many of those scientists have iPhones? How many take flights to conferences? How many protest China and India’s out of control populations? 

Government inaction is a key word here. They complain about that yet f over people who aren’t in government. Spin it any way you want, it doesn’t make sense and is nowhere near the most effective way of going about affecting change. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How many of those scientists have iPhones? How many take flights to conferences? How many protest China and India’s out of control populations? 

Government inaction is a key word here. They complain about that yet f over people who aren’t in government. Spin it any way you want, it doesn’t make sense and is nowhere near the most effective way of going about affecting change. 

Clearly Extinction Rebellion does not share your views.  Good thing we live in a democracy.

Spin it however you want.   This is about young people demanding more from their governments.  Who can blame them.  We have a Conservative Party that fails to attend climate change debates and denies climate change......    Keep trying to spin your lack of support for our environment. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Clearly Extinction Rebellion does not share your views.  Good thing we live in a democracy.

Spin it however you want.   This is about young people demanding more from their governments.  Who can blame them.  We have a Conservative Party that fails to attend climate change debates and denies climate change......    Keep trying to spin your lack of support for our environment. 

You’re so blinded by your ideological bent that you make these moronic statements that share no basis with fact. 

You make bland assumptions, which for you is nothing new. 

I do support the environment. I grow all of my own vegetables and fruits. I buy locally and walk wherever I can forgoing the use of my vehicle. I cook from scratch whenever possible. I hunt and fish whenever possible. I actually act upon my convictions rather than just virtue signal purposely inconveniencing others like your buddies at Extinction Rebellion. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

Fun alternative theories: We are still coming out of an ice age, which really was not that long ago.  Another interesting one is if you look at volcanic activity with temperature change, strong correlation there...almost going back to climate of when dinosaurs roamed ;)

What I'd like to see is deal with the visible, impactful and easily addressable current issues.

Malaysia is burning plastic all over, fix that

China and India has massive amounts of plastic going into the ocean, fix that

Recycling programs barely recycle anything....Fix that!

Not sure why Canada wants to be sheep that follow the herd....Lets sell our resources in a responsible way and invest into new technology that can be used worldwide. If we could make a breakthrough on cold fusion....that would change the world.

Shutting down everything and demanding to keep the current standard of living is insane, eg a lot of people want to vote for more money spent on healthcare(which uses a massive amount of fossil fuel products...basically everything except a tongue depressor is FF based) but demand that fossil fuel usage stop. I'd rather see us massively increase our GDP, and then throw a large chunk into R&D on getting plastic to %50 recyclable(that's somewhere around %1000 better than current) and getting solar panels a lot more efficient to offset how extremely toxic and damaging they are to manufacture, along with other horrible things like solar farms displacing wildlife;  I'm against wind as it almost wiped out endangered bat species in Ontario and the effects of it in oceans on migratory species isn't looking too good.

No argument here. All I did was post that the world is warming and the ice is melting. Why is the debatable part. There has been an acceleration with industrialization though. Volcanoes are a good example of naturally occurring pollutant release into atmosphere.. So are wild fires and some geologist say that melting glaciers release methane but I have seen conflicting opinions on that. Really it is multi factorial but it is happening.

Bottom line I think you hit the nail on the head re plastics. Asia and the USA need to fix where it ends up. With where we are we can't flip a table and go green in 5 years. Not going to happen. It's not feasible. To be successful it has to be a gradual transition. But it appears that it is a transition that needs to happen. Better sooner than later but not tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You’re so blinded by your ideological bent that you make these moronic statements that share no basis with fact. 

You make bland assumptions, which for you is nothing new. 

I do support the environment. I grow all of my own vegetables and fruits. I buy locally and walk wherever I can forgoing the use of my vehicle. I cook from scratch whenever possible. I hunt and fish whenever possible. I actually act upon my convictions rather than just virtue signal purposely inconveniencing others like your buddies at Extinction Rebellion. 

Keep making excuses.   Keeping trying to spin your efforts.

The time is now to change human behaviour .    You are either part of the solution....  or you are part . of the problem.

Which side are you on ?   You can not sit on fence any longer..... 

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Keep making excuses.   Keeping trying to spin your efforts.

The time is now to change human behaviour .    You are either part of the solution....  or you are part . of the problem.

Which side are you on ?   You can not sit on fence any longer..... 

So you call him a spin doctor when he likely does a hell of a lot more than you do. He’s (sorry, not sorry for assuming your gender) a part of the problem if he isn’t pushing his beliefs on others. Hmmmm, I wonder if I can dig up some threads on religion and see where you stand on those kinds of thoughts, cause I think certain religions are not compatible with future progress of humanity, but that makes me racist right? Even though race and religion are two different things? And before you go and assume what I mean, which I know you will, I don’t limit this opinion to Islam.

• Wat 1