The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your first impressions of our new players?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

How do you feel about the additions?  Let's get some kneejerk reactions after 2 games. 

This isn't a thread about their contracts or trades that brought them here, just how has their play been.

For me...

Hughes: Has shown flashes offensively that show why he's got all that hype behind him, and is as good a skater as advertised.  Has a ton of room to grow.  Has a good stick but needs to get better at positioning in the defensive zone.  Was manhandled by Draisaitl in the Edmonton game pretty bad.  I think he's shown the potential that one day he can be a great offensive defenseman but he's nowhere close to that yet. 

Myers: Pretty much as advertised.  Pretty good on offense, pretty slick for such a big guy.  Not so good in his own zone, though at least an improvement on the guys that left.  

Miller: Pretty good speed and effort level.  Pretty good all around, not great at anything.  Seems a great fit on that 2nd line.  

Benn: Haven't noticed him much, which means he's doing his job. 

Ferland: Looks out of place with Petey and Brock.  More suited for 2nd or 3rd line work.  Hasn't been very physical (don't blame him, concussion issues), doesn't add much skill or speed to the top line.  

• Upvote 3

I think it's a little too early to judge Ferland.  He's been sick, and lost a lot of weight that he needs to do his job.  He missed alot of the preseason too, because of the illness.  Everybody else has been pretty much as advertised in my opinion.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Hughes: Great skating and offensive instincts, needs to be utilized on that top powerplay to open ice for Petey. 

Myers: Has looked good and joins the rush, seems a little clumsy at times but probably just from being so big. 

Miller: Good all around effort but haven't see anything too flashy from him yet. 

Benn: Solid third pairing guy, keeps it simple.

Ferland: Has yet to show he can play on first line and provide physicality, still really early. 

• Upvote 2

New guys are friggin' great!  It's our bloody goalie who has to play better.  He's costing us games by being sloppy with his positioning and rebound control.  We got beat both games because the other teams' goalies outplayed Marky.  Marky needs to at least play as well as his opposing net minder.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

New guys are friggin' great!  It's our bloody goalie who has to play better.  He's costing us games by being sloppy with his positioning and rebound control.  We got beat both games because the other teams' goalies outplayed Marky.  Marky needs to at least play as well as his opposing net minder.

While I don't completely disagree, this isn't all on Marky at all. We got 0 goals last game, that is definitely on our Top 6. 

I think Quinn has looked really good. His offensive style is so great to see on our backend and I think he has done fairly well overall on the defensive side of things as well. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hughes is generating offence and making good breakout passes but his defence hasn’t been great. He needs to get stronger like Troy. 

Benn, Ferland, and Miller have been very solid.

Myers has been playing big minutes and so far has looked really good. He’s coughed the puck up a couple times but I’m sure he’s gonna tighten that up as the season goes on.

Ferland has been the biggest disappointment so far. Really hasn't done much of anything thus far.  

Benn has been OK. Nothing special, but an OK 3rd pairing guy.

Hughes is offensively dynamic. He's gonna be a game breaker, but his defense obviously needs some work.

Miller looks like he's going to be a great fit. Not elite at any one thing, but good at a lot of things. 

I LOVE the way Myers plays. His shot and willingness to join the rush or go deep is super refreshing. However, as we all expected, he's made some costly mistakes, and will likely continue to make errors in his own end. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

How do you feel about the additions?  Let's get some kneejerk reactions after 2 games. 

This isn't a thread about their contracts or trades that brought them here, just how has their play been.

For me...

Hughes: Has shown flashes offensively that show why he's got all that hype behind him, and is as good a skater as advertised.  Has a ton of room to grow.  Has a good stick but needs to get better at positioning in the defensive zone.  Was manhandled by Draisaitl in the Edmonton game pretty bad.  I think he's shown the potential that one day he can be a great offensive defenseman but he's nowhere close to that yet. 

Myers: Pretty much as advertised.  Pretty good on offense, pretty slick for such a big guy.  Not so good in his own zone, though at least an improvement on the guys that left.  

Miller: Pretty good speed and effort level.  Pretty good all around, not great at anything.  Seems a great fit on that 2nd line.  

Ferland: Looks out of place with Petey and Brock.  More suited for 2nd or 3rd line work.  Hasn't been very physical (don't blame him, concussion issues), doesn't add much skill or speed to the top line.  

Mostly agree with you.

However, as Viper says above, Ferland needs more games to show what he has as the sickness he had kicked the crap outta him. I am probably still most excited about getting him this summer over the others but very happy we got them all.

PS: that comment above does not include Hughes as we drafted him before this summer.

Pretty impressed by Miller, at least from pre-season you could see that he, Pete and Brock are on the same page (him as the net front guy on the PP, with guys banking pucks off of him and into the net shows that, next to skilled guys, he's not afraid to get those greasy goals and go to the dirty areas).

Hope he brings that needed jolt of offense to this team after the line switch

• Like 1

Hughes - seems to be playing conservatively for now;

-waiting for him to go coast to coast;

-don't like him dropping pucks back to lesser skaters on PP;

-surprised he's shooting so much.

(NHL.com mentioned it was his shot that broke Larsson's leg but others say it was Pettersson. If so, then his shot has improved.).

Miller - decent ozone entries, decent passer

-seen him lose pucks in his own zone more than expected;

-how does he compare to Booth?

Myers -  you get the good with the bad.

-good offensive forays, some bad giveaways

-didn't like how a 6'8" guy got wiped out by Lindholm.

-loved response to Giordano

-I want to see him in the slot on PPs

Benn - like his patience with puck

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see Hughes with a different partner.  I don't see Tanev as offensively minded as the partner of Hughes needs to be.

My suggestion on D would be:

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

I think that Myers is better offensively than I expected.  Hughes skating could help him out and conversely, my impression is that Myers has the mind to complement Hughes when he goes on offensive runs.

Benn is fine.

Miller, I really like.  I think he has what it takes to play with Petey.  I felt he was the best forward v Edmonton.

Ferland, I will give a pass because he has lost 10 lbs and needs time to recover.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Too early to really judge, but one thing that I can't get my head around is the first round pick they gave up for Miller. On the evidence of two games I think he's showing well, but first round pick? Second round would have been totally acceptable.

10 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

For me...

I pretty much agree with the above.    One thing that has caught me off guard about Miller is his playmaking ability (it’s much better than I thought).  

As far as Ferland goes, he’s been fighting the flu a bit and so I’ll hold off on any judgement for now.     I do agree however that Miller should replace Ferland on that line.   Miller is a better overall player, and all top teams have atleast one top line that has the ability to take over a game.    We had that with the WCE, and we had that with the twins and Burrows.

I also like the idea of Ferland being an on-ice mentor for Virtanen and then forming a hard hitting 3rd line together.    

Based on what I’ve seen so far, that 3rd line cannot and should not consist of any combination of Gaudette, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, or Leivo as the offense produced from said lines will be very minimal.   One of Miller, Pearson, or Ferland should be down there, and my vote would go towards Ferland.

With regards to Hughes, I already like the chemistry that he’s developing with Pettersson.  I’d experiment with putting Hughes and Tanev on the top pairing.   

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I'd like to see Hughes with a different partner.  I don't see Tanev as offensively minded as the partner of Hughes needs to be.

My suggestion on D would be:

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

I think that Myers is better offensively than I expected.  Hughes skating could help him out and conversely, my impression is that Myers has the mind to complement Hughes when he goes on offensive runs.

Benn is fine.

Miller, I really like.  I think he has what it takes to play with Petey.  I felt he was the best forward v Edmonton.

Ferland, I will give a pass because he has lost 10 lbs and needs time to recover.

My only concern with Hughes-Myers is that they might get lit up.   While Hughes’ defensive play is better than what I had thought it would be, it’s still not his strong suit.  .....and we all know what Myers defensive game is like.    It’s worth experimenting with however I guess.   Pairing these guys and giving them on higher percentage of Ozone starts could pay its dividends.  

Actually, I just had a thought:

You could pair the defensemen in such a way where it caters to their specialities:

1). Myers and Hughes for all/most Ozone starts.

2) Benn and Tanev for all/most defensive zone starts.

3) Edler and Stecher for more dual balanced roles.