The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your first impressions of our new players?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

Myers is better than I expected, I feel like he was the most engaged Canuck against the flames. He's got a great shot and is a lot faster than advertised. Pretty good offensive instincts as well. A few errors but  I think his upside is greater than the downside. 

Miller is a smart hockey player and he's got a lot to offer. I just hope that he gets utilized soon. Him and Bo had good chemistry, and I'm hoping that he and Petey can develop something good too. 

Benn has been ok, he's a decent third pairing guy who has not got a lot of minutes, sometimes I barely notice he's there. 

Hughes is really good, and every game I think he is getting better. 

Watching him skate with the puck is a thing of beauty. And his defending has got a lot better since draisaitl skooled him. 

Ferland I honestly haven't noticed him that much. So much so that I almost forgot to mention him. I hope he gets better. 

I like the acquisition so far...

Edited by DS4quality

17 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

How do you feel about the additions?  Let's get some kneejerk reactions after 2 games. 

This isn't a thread about their contracts or trades that brought them here, just how has their play been.

For me...

Hughes: Has shown flashes offensively that show why he's got all that hype behind him, and is as good a skater as advertised.  Has a ton of room to grow.  Has a good stick but needs to get better at positioning in the defensive zone.  Was manhandled by Draisaitl in the Edmonton game pretty bad.  I think he's shown the potential that one day he can be a great offensive defenseman but he's nowhere close to that yet. 

Myers: Pretty much as advertised.  Pretty good on offense, pretty slick for such a big guy.  Not so good in his own zone, though at least an improvement on the guys that left.  

Miller: Pretty good speed and effort level.  Pretty good all around, not great at anything.  Seems a great fit on that 2nd line.  

Benn: Haven't noticed him much, which means he's doing his job. 

Ferland: Looks out of place with Petey and Brock.  More suited for 2nd or 3rd line work.  Hasn't been very physical (don't blame him, concussion issues), doesn't add much skill or speed to the top line.  

for F sakes give Ferland a break, he just went through being ill and lost some weight and strength.. 

Can hardly expect him to be on his game for awhile, a week or so  (ish) then he should be ok 

Hughes is obviously a gem offensively, and I'm glad he improved since last year. He's still not the same Quinn Hughes as he was in junior though. We'll see him really show what he can do when he starts carrying the puck some more. He was well known as a one man breakout machine because he can literally skate it out of his end and into the opposition's end alone. I'm really hoping by after game 10 he'll be doing these things and if we're lucky, Newell Brown will allow him to decide whether dropping the puck backwards on the pp is a terrible decision or not, because he can gain entry on his own. He will be prone to turnovers, but as long as he isn't last man back that should be okay. Let the kid wheel it. Defensively obviously just needs more experience but he's got a great stick, he just needs to learn body positioning against much stronger guys. Wish he was a slight bit more engaged that way.

Myers is pretty good. He is more offensive than I thought as well. Has a good shot, does a lot of offensive things right but lacks a bit of finish. I like his mobility from the back end offensively. I'm sure he'll tighten up a bit on the giveaways, but I also think Edler (who isn't known to be the best support when it comes to breakouts) is a little bit to blame as well. Pretty decent impression off of week one with hardly any chemistry or gel time with a new system. 

Miller has outstanding IQ, has decent hands but lacks finish. I think if you put him with other high IQ players like Petey you'll really see him shine. I imagined him as being a bit more hardnosed, but I also didn't imagine he'd have the smarts either. I would like more grit, but I think there's a huge amount of potential there. Hopefully his finish improves a bit. He's getting chances and setting them up. 

Benn has been pretty much as advertised. Liked his game more in preseason because he was more physical, but it's such a small sample size so hopefully he brings that back. 

Ferland has been disappointing in his first two games. Needs to be more physical but we also need to reevaluate after he's healthy. He's got some great hands though, would be nice to see him get rewarded for it a bit more. Offensively I think he has the skill to be in the top 6 for sure. Just needs more physicality and more chemistry with his linemates. Looks a bit lost on positioning with his teammates but that's also because he hasn't played with them at all. Hopefully that comes in time. 

Too early to really get a fair assessment, but as of two games Myers has looked the best among the new arrivals. Had that really bad giveaway in his own zone but otherwise has been active. When people say "he's fast for his size" I never expect em to be quick. But Myers looks very agile and not just for his size but quick by all metrics. He could do a lot of damage if hitting were a bigger part of his game. Lol. With his speed at that size he'd obliterate people.

Quinn is a beauty

Miller - great addition

Ferland - needs to recover from whatever is ailing him  and get some energy back

Benn - solid 5/6 d man

Myers - undecided - parts of his game I really like - sometimes I think he isn't on top of his game defensively

Fattenberg - no idea

But I think we need to give this a couple more weeks - this is basically a new team thrown together and getting to know one another. let them build some chemistry and let's see where they go

Ferland - not much to assess - he's been ill.  The elements he brings, in addition to Roussel, and Motte are missed in the present imo.

Benn - maybe the most rust of the lot - hasn't looked good but whatever, I expect that will change.

Myers, aside from a mistake or two has looked like he'll be a good fit and bring more upside from the blueline.

Miller - excellent (as expected) - great fit imo to play with Horvat (and possibly EP).

Hughes - forcing the puck a bit much but whatever, it's two games for a young D.  He's made some good, subtle positional defensive interventions.

Overall a slow/rusty unimpressive start - but it's a team with a lot of new parts, systems to digest, lots of youth pushing...and a few more changes in cue imo.

Edited by oldnews

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

New guys are friggin' great!  It's our bloody goalie who has to play better.  He's costing us games by being sloppy with his positioning and rebound control.  We got beat both games because the other teams' goalies outplayed Marky.  Marky needs to at least play as well as his opposing net minder.  

Shut out last game.  0 for 10 on PP. 

And now it's Markstroms fault...

:wacko:

• Cheers 1

On 10/8/2019 at 8:08 AM, iceman64 said:

for F sakes give Ferland a break, he just went through being ill and lost some weight and strength.. 

Can hardly expect him to be on his game for awhile, a week or so  (ish) then he should be ok 

Wow calm down buddy.  Saying Ferland fits better on our 2nd or 3rd line isn't exactly being overly critical.  

If Ferland has lost weight and strength, what kind of sense would it make playing him 1st line minutes anyway?  

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Wow calm down buddy.  Saying Ferland fits better on our 2nd or 3rd line isn't exactly being overly critical.  

If Ferland has lost weight and strength, what kind of sense would it make playing him 1st line minutes anyway?  

And have guys running Petey?  No thanks.. that's the kind of sense.. and always will be, you know what kind of target he has been, do you really want to risk more injuries to our best player do you? No thanks! And I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that way and even sick i wouldn't want to fight him... 

There you go, it wasn't just about a drop in lines, just saying.. 

He fits better there for a reason and obviously that's why he's here but lmao how about we give him a chance there? Too much to ask before shuffling him down the lines too?

It'll been fine

On 10/8/2019 at 11:04 AM, CoolCanucklehead said:

Shut out last game.  0 for 10 on PP. 

And now it's Markstroms fault...

:wacko:

Wait.. you mean they're not robots and can't get a shut out every night or be perfect although your being shot at with 90+ mile an hour slap slots being screened or leaving someone wide open if a line change was late or that rubber disc does weird things on the frozen water it bounces on.. oh wait.. I guess it really is that easy to do for 80 games, Markstrom you bum!!! 

*Facepalm*

Good grief. Lmao!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

And have guys running Petey?  No thanks.. that's the kind of sense.. and always will be, you know what kind of target he has been, do you really want to risk more injuries to our best player do you? No thanks! And I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that way and even sick i wouldn't want to fight him... 

There you go, it wasn't just about a drop in lines, just saying.. 

He fits better there for a reason and obviously that's why he's here but lmao how about we give him a chance there? Too much to ask before shuffling him down the lines too?

It'll been fine

Dropping Ferland down the lineup seems to have worked ok tonight. 

Once Ferland has his playing weight and confidence back I'd like to see him with Cap and Pearson and drop leivo to hockey gaud and sutts line . Heeeeavy scary second line. This team is big fast and skilled . Gunna be even better with tram big Mac and hog coming over next year. And pods the year after. Big things coming to nuckland.

Edited by Vermette9
  • Upvote 1

Ok. (reply to the op)

Miller is a gem.  I said it after the shock wore off and I really looked at the players - we just added another Horvat to the team, one that could play all forward positions too.   Need a boost on any line, or the PP or even the PK - he’s the guy.

Myers.   Impressive so far, definitely a top four defenseman, and the first guy we’ve had since Salo or prime Hamhuis or whomever that can provide proper relief for Edler primarily.   He’s going to help the defense the same way Miller does the top six.

Benn.  Not noticeable in a good way.  An upgrade on Hutton defensively for sure.

Ferland.  So far meh, just another marginal middle six player....BUT he has a reputation and so far EP, Boeser and Hughes haven’t been abused...think his intangibles are definitely something this team needs and glad he’s here. 

Pearson.  Adding him because he deserves some props too.   Heavy player that so far has helped drive offense on his line.  Is shooting a lot too, the goals will come.

Hughes.  What a beauty to watch.  So far has come pretty much as advertised, and is only going to get better...a lot better.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Dropping Ferland down the lineup seems to have worked ok tonight. 

Against the Kings yeah..  how about the top of the league teams who will do anything to win..  cough cough Bruins and Marchand cough cough.. and that's not even in our physical division out west.. might get away with it some nights but.. sooner or later..

• Like 1

Just now, iceman64 said:

Against the Kings yeah..  how about the top of the league teams who will do anything to win..  cough cough Bruins and Marchand cough cough.. and that's not even in our physical division out west.. might get away with it some nights but.. sooner or later..

Ferland is likely still getting up to speed.  He will be back with Petey and Bess, and  be lighting the lamp, and filling in some faces soon enough.  

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

The guys that play with that edge, won't be deterred regardless of who is on a line. They expect to fight because of the way they play. Ferland himself is an example of that. Bieksa fought twice. Did it stop him? Fighting (or suspensions) didn't deter Torres from headhunting.

22 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The guys that play with that edge, won't be deterred regardless of who is on a line. They expect to fight because of the way they play. Ferland himself is an example of that. Bieksa fought twice. Did it stop him? Fighting (or suspensions) didn't deter Torres from headhunting.

Ummm the game has changed, and I disagree because when being a fighter isn't enough anymore and the way things are going and the cap just has small increases and if they get injured in return then that could potentially damage a future career on their part, suspension time and lost games doesn't look good on a resume to be signed when a contract expires.. 

And it's not the old school NHL but at least we are NOT going to have 4 other guys standing watching or skating away... And actually Benn Miller Ferland and Myers together by committee so he adds that nasty side that can make a team pay for doing anything where it used to be ok to run over the Sedin's.. 

Simply, we're a better tougher team and when we consistently give elite teams a run for their money. We will... Count on it... 

48 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Ummm the game has changed, and I disagree because when being a fighter isn't enough anymore and the way things are going and the cap just has small increases and if they get injured in return then that could potentially damage a future career on their part, suspension time and lost games doesn't look good on a resume to be signed when a contract expires.. 

And it's not the old school NHL but at least we are NOT going to have 4 other guys standing watching or skating away... And actually Benn Miller Ferland and Myers together by committee so he adds that nasty side that can make a team pay for doing anything where it used to be ok to run over the Sedin's.. 

Simply, we're a better tougher team and when we consistently give elite teams a run for their money. We will... Count on it... 

It's never discouraged those inclined to it. It certainly hasn't changed Ferland's game and he's still playing. So what has changed in the past two years? Ferland still runs guys over and he still gets into fights for it. Players that play that way don't care if they have to fight. You're kidding yourself. 

Do know why Daniel got the Marchand treatment? Bieksa was on the ice at the time and we all know he was willing to fight. Well everybody was tied up in a scrum with other players. Ferland is one of the guys that causes those scrums. Meaning he puts Petey and Boeser at risk of the Marchand treatment by causing those kinds of actions after a whistle. He can't protect them if he's already tied up with somebody, just as Bieksa couldn't.

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

It's never discouraged those inclined to it. It certainly hasn't changed Ferland's game and he's still playing. So what has changed in the past two years? Ferland still runs guys over and he still gets into fights for it. Players that play that way don't care if they have to fight. You're kidding yourself. 

Do know why Daniel got the Marchand treatment? Bieksa was on the ice at the time and we all know he was willing to fight. Well everybody was tied up in a scrum with other players. Ferland is one of the guys that causes those scrums. Meaning he puts Petey and Boeser at risk of the Marchand treatment by causing those kinds of actions after a whistle. He can't protect them if he's already tied up with somebody, just as Bieksa couldn't.

I disagree... when you play a team sport and you're in an emotional game (or series) and you're trying to get a player off their game who you KNOW isnt going to drop the gloves - you do what Marchand did. And it worked, unfortunately.

Bieksa being on the ice didnt matter,  would have happened regardless IMO. Wanting to keep Ferland off Petterssons line because he will cause some reverse revenge targeting when hes tied up? That doesn't make much sense, at all. 

Edited by Davathor