The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your first impressions of our new players?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

I disagree... when you play a team sport and you're in an emotional game (or series) and you're trying to get a player off their game who you KNOW isnt going to drop the gloves - you do what Marchand did. And it worked, unfortunately.

I'm saying having Ferland on the top line won't stop players from doing what they do. Those guys expect to fight, just as Ferland does. Ferland didn't let up because Bieksa gave him a beating. If anything Ferland opens Boer and Petey up to the Marchand treatment. Ferland tied up in a scrum after a big hit and another player free to do as Marchand did to Daniel with Petersson or Boeser. Everybody was tied up with a Bruin when Daniel got the Marchand treatment.

Again, having Bieksa out there wasn't protection for Daniel. He was already tied up with another Bruin at the time. It's a false sense of security thinking having a player out there willing to fight will prevent anything from happening. At best it's a retribution after the fact. Meaning - something already happened.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Not so worried about Pete this season.  He's got a year under his belt, has obviously gained some muscle and appears to have adapted his game to avoid hits.  There's lots of top tier players smaller than Pete that have managed to have healthy seasons.  I have faith in Pete looking after himself.  Ferland will be there if someone starts muscling him, but for the most part, his job will be to open up space for Pete to work his wonders.

• Upvote 1

I think it is WAY too early to try to assess these guys. Really, we are doing them a disservice by trying.

They all need to learn a new system and to gain chemistry with their linemates. That should happen sooner for cerebral guys like Miller and slower for others like Myers and Ferland (who also needs to build back his strength, and establish his own role and linemate chemistry).

Once all this is ironed out, I think we will find that all these new players bring exactly what they were expected to. Collectively, Benning made the acquisitions he needed to in order to shore up our weaknesses and I feel he did a good job at it. I think Miller, Ferland, Hughes and Myers will be huge for this team and the extra size will be massive for us come playoff time.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Baggins said:

I'm saying having Ferland on the top line won't stop players from doing what they do. Those guys expect to fight, just as Ferland does. Ferland didn't let up because Bieksa gave him a beating. If anything Ferland opens Boer and Petey up to the Marchand treatment. Ferland tied up in a scrum after a big hit and another player free to do as Marchand did to Daniel with Petersson or Boeser. Everybody was tied up with a Bruin when Daniel got the Marchand treatment.

Again, having Bieksa out there wasn't protection for Daniel. He was already tied up with another Bruin at the time. It's a false sense of security thinking having a player out there willing to fight will prevent anything from happening. At best it's a retribution after the fact. Meaning - something already happened.

Dude it's having to play against someone tough that will go after the opposing teams star if you go after ours.. simple as that BUT for some reason we've never done that.. if that happened things would change and nobody would run Petey or anyone else here because they wouldn't risk losing a Alien of their own

Hughes - Elite, elite, elite - will win the Norris one day

Miller - Worth the 1st, brilliant acquisition who will only make Pettersson and Boeser better

Ferland - Certainly has size, but also has good hands and can make plays. A slow start, but he'll get there.

Myers - Love his skating, so smooth for a big guy. Has a booming shot.

Benn - Old school Dman, who plays a simple gritty game. Reliable.

Juolevi - Can't wait.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Elite, elite, elite - will win the Norris one day

Miller - Worth the 1st, brilliant acquisition who will only make Pettersson and Boeser better

Ferland - Certainly has size, but also has good hands and can make plays. A slow start, but he'll get there.

Myers - Love his skating, so smooth for a big guy. Has a booming shot.

Benn - Old school Dman, who plays a simple gritty game. Reliable.

Juolevi - Can't wait.

Ferland isn't healthy so can't be counted yet.. I hear most ppl don't even know he isn't healthy, I thought it was common knowledge but I guess not by the look of the CDC and their assessment of him.. the guys can be a game changer as we found out when he schooled us playing for Calgary, F I hated to see him jump over the boards against us knowing he's going to either score or flatten someone.. glad he's on our side now.. 

Would love to see Roussell Ferland and Bo together on second line, great mix of tough and skilled.. yes please! 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

Miller is looking great of corse.

Ferland I think will prove his worth later in the season (the guy lost 10lb to the flu). 

Myers looks great imo. I really like him with Quinn on the PP. also Myers / Edler combo looks solid.

miller is super excited with the new VTC gloves Canucks will be wearing soon. Tryamkin can’t wait either.

Because everyone’s talking about those damn cool gloves.

620A5279-1857-4294-A039-4DD40304EF65.jpeg

B04FEC43-74FF-4851-85C3-752EAC54E6A9.jpeg

13 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Dude it's having to play against someone tough that will go after the opposing teams star if you go after ours.. simple as that BUT for some reason we've never done that.. if that happened things would change and nobody would run Petey or anyone else here because they wouldn't risk losing a Alien of their own

That is the way it should be, but the coach does not like retribution, he wants points, not penalties (apparently even the exhibition games, when guys were hit with no payback)

In a way, I can see teams taking more liberties at our stars now, if they are behind in the game and knowing if they even make a real hard (clean even) hit on one of our stars that one of our tougher guys may take offence to it and take a penalty

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Miller is looking great of corse.

Ferland I think will prove his worth later in the season (the guy lost 10lb to the flu). 

Myers looks great imo. I really like him with Quinn on the PP. also Myers / Edler combo looks solid.

miller is super excited with the new VTC gloves Canucks will be wearing soon. Tryamkin can’t wait either.

Because everyone’s talking about those damn cool gloves.

620A5279-1857-4294-A039-4DD40304EF65.jpeg

B04FEC43-74FF-4851-85C3-752EAC54E6A9.jpeg

Sighs... Train.. I miss that guy... I mean Russian tank, I'm glad JB finally got it through his head you can't get far in the playoffs without a certain amount of size and toughness, I suppose after watching last year there was no way JB or anyone could miss that.. say what you want about the signings but we are bigger and tougher and some of that is a mix with skill that's good to see for a change as in not just one or 2 guys.. the old creampuff soft Canucks had to be moved on from and we're getting there! 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Ferland isn't healthy so can't be counted yet.. I hear most ppl don't even know he isn't healthy, I thought it was common knowledge but I guess not by the look of the CDC and their assessment of him.. the guys can be a game changer as we found out when he schooled us playing for Calgary, F I hated to see him jump over the boards against us knowing he's going to either score or flatten someone.. glad he's on our side now.. 

Would love to see Roussell Ferland and Bo together on second line, great mix of tough and skilled.. yes please! 

True, Mr. Ferly isn't playing at 100% yet. I think it's great how Jake played last game and if he continues to do that, the Canucks will be even tougher to play against. I think Ferland will get his game going, some very exciting hockey ahead.

Don't really want to talk playoffs yet, but if they do get there, I think having guys like Ferland, Virtanen, Miller, Roussel, Beagle, Motte, Pearson and Bo (up front) will fare them well when things get fast and physical in the post season. Then I look at TOR. Very good regular season team, but that's about it.    

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

That is the way it should be, but the coach does not like retribution, he wants points, not penalties (apparently even the exhibition games, when guys were hit with no payback)

In a way, I can see teams taking more liberties at our stars now, if they are behind in the game and knowing if they even make a real hard (clean even) hit on one of our stars that one of our tougher guys may take offence to it and take a penalty

Yeah I was worried about that when we hammered LA especially at the end of the game.. was happy when the team skated off the ice with no one hurt, one win is not worth losing a Alien or Flow.. or anyone else for that matter

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

True, Mr. Ferly isn't playing at 100% yet. I think it's great how Jake played last game and if he continues to do that, the Canucks will be even tougher to play against. I think Ferland will get his game going, some very exciting hockey ahead.

Don't really want to talk playoffs yet, but if they do get there, I think having guys like Ferland, Virtanen, Miller, Roussel, Beagle, Motte, Pearson and Bo (up front) will fare them well when things get fast and physical in the post season. Then I look at TOR. Very good regular season team, but that's about it.    

We have been that too.. great reg season team but not enough depth or toughness to get anywhere except bounced the first or 2 round...  Meh...

58 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well for that he doesn't need to be on a line with Boeser and Petey does he. Which is where this conversation started in the first place with me saying I'd prefer Miller on their line.

I really like the addition of Ferland, but he's a good hockey player, not just some goon who will fight Pettersson's battles. EDM tried that by bringing in Lucic as protector and how did that work out for them?  CGY seems to get it, by letting Lucic just play his game. He looks like he's having a ressurgence this year. 

Pettersson is a pro, he's going to get hit, sometimes the hits will be dirty. Hopefully if that time comes, all of his team mates will have his back, not just the big guys who can fight. They need a pack mentality. Miller is a great fit with Pettersson and Boeser.

I'd like the 3rd line to be:

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

...and then sic them on opponents' top line. Go get 'em boys!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I really like the addition of Ferland, but he's a good hockey player, not just some goon who will fight Pettersson's battles. EDM tried that by bringing in Lucic as protector and how did that work out for them?  CGY seems to get it, by letting Lucic just play his game. He looks like he's having a ressurgence this year. 

Pettersson is a pro, he's going to get hit, sometimes the hits will be dirty. Hopefully if that time comes, all of his team mates will have his back, not just the big guys who can fight. They need a pack mentality. Miller is a great fit with Pettersson and Boeser.

I'd like the 3rd line to be:

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

...and then sic them on opponents' top line. Go get 'em boys!

Gaudette's motor would get the other two guys going.  Then Ferland's aggressive nature would bring Jake into the fight.  I like that line too.  I bet we see it in the not too distant future.  

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

First of all that is the dumbest statement I ever seen on this web site. If Daniel had stuck up for himself and showed a little spine he would be wearing a Stanley Cup Ring.

If you want to win you need push back Having Marty McSorley on your line helped Gretzky a lot, also when any team member gets ruffed up there should be an response by all the players clear the bench if you have to.

• Upvote 1

Just now, vannuck59 said:

First of all that is the dumbest statement I ever seen on this web site. If Daniel had stuck up for himself and showed a little spine he would be wearing a Stanley Cup Ring.

If you want to win you need push back Having Marty McSorley on your line helped Gretzky a lot, also when any team member gets ruffed up there should be an response by all the players clear the bench if you have to.

Interesting point, I wonder if EDM didn't have McSorley or Semenko during the Gretzky years, would they have won? Having those guys with Wayne, allowed him to toy with other teams. I wonder how effective he would've been fending for himself.

1 minute ago, vannuck59 said:

Not buying what you're selling. 

You're going back 40 years ago when things were actually different. There was more respect for stars back then and fighters ensured that respect. Now goons are gone, there's far less respect given stars, and players that take liberties don't give a crap about having to fight. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Personal attack removed by mod.

Right.... we had a tough bteam in '94.... where's the ring? In 2011 Thomas set a finals record for saves made. That had nothing to do with it, not to mention the number of injuries. We had toiughness on that 2011 team as well. Still not buying what you're selling.

Any time I think about Myers’s play, I just compare him to gudbranson. 

Bigger, faster, softer hands, better vision, greater offensive instincts, better shot, better positioning. Yeah he $2 million more, but wow is it ever a huge upgrade.

Last year Stetcher was probably our 3rd best defensemen behind Tanev and Edler. So far, Stetcher Has been the 6th best D-man despite playing just as well as last year. Myers is a huge upgrade over Gudbranson, Ben is an upgrade over Hutton/pouliot/Del Zotto, and Quinn Hughes is a game breaker (we have TWO of those now with him and Petey). 

The defence is undeniably improved even with just the 3 game sample size. 

The top 6 is improved as well. Leivo probably ended the season as our 5th best forward last year, now he’s probably 7th. Miller and Pearson are perfect complimentary pieces in our top 6. I’d say we’re only missing one more winger, hopefully ferland takes that role over. 

Bottom 6 is better too despite the complaining we’re hearing. Sutter healthy, Gaudette playing very well, and one of Leivo/ferland makes the 3rd line way better than the spooners/ mottes/ goldobins/ leipsics/ erikssons we had rotating through that line last year. 

4th line is basically the same. Once Roussel gets healthy I think it will be better. 

Depth this year is much better. Motte, Baertschi, joulevi, fantenberg are all up grades over anything we’ve had in the past. 

• Cheers 2