The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vladislav Namestnikov to Senators for Nick Ebert, 2021 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

The ultimate punishment.  Ask for a trade, get sent somewhere with an owner so poor your paycheck might bounce.

Unfortunately, Melnyk is in fact a billionaire. He's far from broke. He's just stupidly cheap.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Probably an indicator of what sutter’s trade value is right now

Namestnikov was miscast as a defensive forward. Failed as an offensive forward.  My take anyway?

Down to 11 or 12 minutes and Lias Andersson seems to have stolen his spot.

Truly enough that may occur with Gaudette in the very near future?  

In the meantime Sutter is at least actually useful defensively.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baer. said:

Not really sure the thinking behind this. Maybe he asked for a trade?

This is likely similar to when the Rangers acquired McQuaid last year. Trade for an impending UFA vet early in the year, he plugs a hole for a while, and then flip him at the deadline as a rental for more than what you paid.

McQuaid didn't have a great year for the Rags, but they still ended up with more at the deadline (got the same picks back - a 4th and a 7th - plus a slightly better young player in Bergman over Kampfer). In Namestnikov's case, he could actually do well in Ottawa's top-6, he can play all 3 forward positions, and has playoff experience. Playoff teams will be interested. They might end up with a 2nd rounder for him when all is said and done.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He was a "cap dump" in that trade. Pretty sure NYR was focused on Hajek, Howden, and the 1st.

Get real - or at least check your work.

Namestnikov was a 1.9375 million cap hit - who had 20 goals and 44 pts in 62 games when he was dealt to the NYR.

That aint no 'cap dump'.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Namestnikov was a 1.9375 million cap hit - who had 20 goals and 44 pts in 62 games when he was dealt to the NYR.

That aint no 'cap dump'.

He was due for a raise being the last year of his contract. TB was taking on JT Miller and Ryan MacDonagh who they intended (and did) extend, so they moved a contract and a guy that is due for a raise. That's why it's a "cap dump", but perhaps contract dump may be better usage? Whatever the case, he wasn't the "centerpiece" of the deal IMO as described.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/7/2019 at 7:51 PM, Dazzle said:

Unfortunately, Melnyk is in fact a billionaire. He's far from broke. He's just stupidly cheap.

Thank God we don't have him as the Canucks owner. 

Could you imagine?? 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Thank God we don't have him as the Canucks owner. 

Could you imagine?? 

Instead we have people complaining that we are spending too much. And when we weren't at the cap, people were calling for us to weaponize our cap space.

Melnyk (and their hockey management team) decided a different approach to not spend on the down years and promised to spend when they are ready to contend after building through the draft of which many proposed we do here. They sold off the top guys (stale core/not wanting to be there) for picks and prospects once again many proposed that we do here which included offloading the Sedins, Edler, etc. They weaponize their cap space, but in a way that made financial sense to them still. All in all, they've done what many have thought to be the right way to rebuild (they are still rebuilding), and yet because we aren't doing it, they're wrong for it (and some still think we are doing it wrong anyway).

I don't see a problem with Melnyk's decision as long as he follows through what his plan was. There is a bunch of speculation going on that I'll believe when I see it, but I'm not going to think Melnyk is trash (yet) until this speculation is true.

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2019 at 6:52 AM, theo5789 said:

Instead we have people complaining that we are spending too much. And when we weren't at the cap, people were calling for us to weaponize our cap space.

Melnyk (and their hockey management team) decided a different approach to not spend on the down years and promised to spend when they are ready to contend after building through the draft of which many proposed we do here. They sold off the top guys (stale core/not wanting to be there) for picks and prospects once again many proposed that we do here which included offloading the Sedins, Edler, etc. They weaponize their cap space, but in a way that made financial sense to them still. All in all, they've done what many have thought to be the right way to rebuild (they are still rebuilding), and yet because we aren't doing it, they're wrong for it (and some still think we are doing it wrong anyway).

I don't see a problem with Melnyk's decision as long as he follows through what his plan was. There is a bunch of speculation going on that I'll believe when I see it, but I'm not going to think Melnyk is trash (yet) until this speculation is true.

but what's the fun in that? :lol:

On 10/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, oldnews said:

That aint no 'cap dump'.

Namestnikov isn't young either. He's what? 27 years old? 

Maybe a late bloomer? Curious to see how he performs in Ottawa, given opportunity in a top six role. 

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

@fakenews stop acting confused every time you get dusted

Derp and chirp.

Evidently you also believe Namestnikov was a 'cap dump' when the Lightning dealt him to the Rangers.  

Not surprised you lap that up = you don't know what you're talking about either.

The Flake Line.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

On 10/7/2019 at 4:58 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I like Vladdy.

I think he was miscasted in NYR, I think he has far more to give offensively than what we showed in New York. 

Great 'risk' for a team like Ottawa.  One year removed from a pair of 20+ goal seasons.

And as you point out - he was at 41% ozone starts last year in NY - not really suited to his game.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:44 PM, Rush17 said:

He has some speed and skill. Will fit in Ottawa's system a lot better I believe. 

This might make Tierney expendable perhaps?

I like Tierney imo that would be foolish.

I'm not criticizing Vlad I mean so far he is doing very well but just saying I like Tierney.

Edited by Ryan Strome