The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Typo Results in $20,000 Overpayment, Recipent Refuses to Pay, Issue Heads to Court

DonLever

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be surprised if the contract with the notary didn't have a clause in for mistaken overpayment. But Notaries can be held accountable if they make a mistake that costs you. I'm sure its all in the notaries act. Ah well, i guess this is what insurance is for. Pretty bad behaviour by the clients tho. Karma and such. 

Dupuis is one of the top notaries in New West (if not the top) and he does a lot of real estate deals.  New West has plenty of notaries because that's where the land titles office is.  He knows what he is doing and has been in business in NW for more than 20 years

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My 80 year uncle  -  was home invaded  last winter in Mexico where he lived 3 months a year... lived native there.

He was beaten then robbed... shot to death and dumped road side....     

I am sure that could have happened anywhere..... right ?

Yah retirement in mexico. No thanks.

That’s awful.  Condolences King.  There is no place better than Canada. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks.  My nephews had to go down to Mexico to deal with police and get body returned....  sell his place etc.

I think Canadians can be naive... we tend to see the good in everyone... makes us vulnerable when we go to other countries....

Police there could not be bothered to do  any kind of an investigation.... I  wonder why ?

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thanks.  My nephews had to go down to Mexico to deal with police and get body returned....  sell his place etc.

I think Canadians can be naive... we tend to see the good in everyone... makes us vulnerable when we go to other countries....

Police there could not be bothered to do  any kind of an investigation.... I  wonder why ?

What did Dorothy say in the “Wizard of Oz”?  “There is no place like home.”  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Seems to be many Canadians from my area buying places in Costa Rica.  I think they are fractional ownership types of condos in a gated community . 

Yeah, a fellow I worked with operated an on line gambling business based in Costa Rica years ago - it had a reputation as a tax haven then, don't know about now.  But that can be a good way to own down there.  We could convert our timeshare in Nuevo to ownership of some sort that permits us to be resident there (or somewhere else) if this country keeps on its relentless march to seizing its citizen's property. 

The prospects in the US must be terrifying for anybody that owns anything with the possibility that Warren could win the presidency. She has stated she wants to put on an 2% wealth tax (3% on billionaires).  She doesn't seem to get that the wealthy don't keep their dough in a money bin so that it is no problem to have a front end loader dig in and send a couple of freight cars full to the government.  The rich are rich because they invest their money in assets and those assets provide everybody's jobs.  Since net rates of return after tax and after inflation on the vast majority of businesses is barely 3% - the tax would essentially be confiscation. That would result in massive divestiture of the assets of the wealthy in a mad scramble to escape the country - the problem would be no buyers - who would buy an asset with no chance of a return?  She could actually cause a collapse of the world economy all by her lonesome.  Imagine Venezuela on steroids - and if the US goes (since the world currency is de facto US dollars) the results would be spectacular - I have no idea where one could go to escape the melt down - buy some property a million miles from anywhere and stock it full of everything you might need for the next few decades.  The problem is that the little Marxist is actually organized - she knows exactly what she wants to do and she makes Sanders look like a disorganized idiot.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, a fellow I worked with operated an on line gambling business based in Costa Rica years ago - it had a reputation as a tax haven then, don't know about now.  But that can be a good way to own down there.  We could convert our timeshare in Nuevo to ownership of some sort that permits us to be resident there (or somewhere else) if this country keeps on its relentless march to seizing its citizen's property. 

The prospects in the US must be terrifying for anybody that owns anything with the possibility that Warren could win the presidency. She has stated she wants to put on an 2% wealth tax (3% on billionaires).  She doesn't seem to get that the wealthy don't keep their dough in a money bin so that it is no problem to have a front end loader dig in and send a couple of freight cars full to the government.  The rich are rich because they invest their money in assets and those assets provide everybody's jobs.  Since net rates of return after tax and after inflation on the vast majority of businesses is barely 3% - the tax would essentially be confiscation. That would result in massive divestiture of the assets of the wealthy in a mad scramble to escape the country - the problem would be no buyers - who would buy an asset with no chance of a return?  She could actually cause a collapse of the world economy all by her lonesome.  Imagine Venezuela on steroids - and if the US goes (since the world currency is de facto US dollars) the results would be spectacular - I have no idea where one could go to escape the melt down - buy some property a million miles from anywhere and stock it full of everything you might need for the next few decades.  The problem is that the little Marxist is actually organized - she knows exactly what she wants to do and she makes Sanders look like a disorganized idiot.

I don't disagree with you but she could never get this stuff past the two lower houses.

14 hours ago, DonLever said:

I don't why the Kendalls are going to court to fight it when it is clear they are not entitled to the $20,000.   It is like the bank putting in $20,000 in your account by mistake.   You are not going to keep the money.

If you read the article you'd know. They are claiming they were harassed and it caused emotionally harm just some complete and utter nonsense.

Siding with the couple of this one - his clerical error was signed off by both sides - that's a contract.  It's not comparable to a banking error and getting money deposited into your account, you didn't sign off on that.  If he overcharged the couple would he give the money back without a legal fight?  Probably not.  He made a $20k mistake, I am sure he can survive.  I'll be interested in how this turns out.

38 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If you read the article you'd know. They are claiming they were harassed and it caused emotionally harm just some complete and utter nonsense.

I thought it had to do with them putting money they knew that didn’t belong to them in a long term investment that had penalties for early withdrawal....and hence them stalling on paying back.

28 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Siding with the couple of this one - his clerical error was signed off by both sides - that's a contract.  It's not comparable to a banking error and getting money deposited into your account, you didn't sign off on that.  If he overcharged the couple would he give the money back without a legal fight?  Probably not.  He made a $20k mistake, I am sure he can survive.  I'll be interested in how this turns out.

The lawyers will be the only party that wins this.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I thought it had to do with them putting money they knew that didn’t belong to them in a long term investment that had penalties for early withdrawal....and hence them stalling on paying back.

First off let's just say they are idiots. Second, The lawyer notified them of the error, or his staff did, then he sent a letter about a week later, and then this family retained a lawyer. This makes no sense to retain a lawyer but they did claiming to never have received a letter and that little information was provided when they were told to pay back 20,000 dollars. After they told their previous lawyer they had retained a lawyer they stopped communicating with the this first lawyer. Then after about 3 weeks the lawyer sued for the 20,000 dollars and then the family responded counter suing citing emotional distress or something like that and the reason they didn't respond was due to a death in the family again this is just total BS. This family thought they'd won the lottery or something and then probably spent this money thinking no one would notice. They did! Now they're suing for some ridiculous reasons.

Edited by peaches5
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Norway, Finland and New Zealand are close if not better.

We are blessed no matter what though.

Also for some people they love winter and being close the rockies is awesome. A few of friends moved to Calgary and love it more then the lower mainland. A few moved to the okanagan and love the climate and the pace. Everyone is different and comes down to what you want, where family is, your job and affordability. Calgary is always a top 10 city to live in with Vancouver, so stop acting like its a cold dump. 

20 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It is nightmares like this that cause the worlds wealthy to buy real estate in stable countries.  The traditional shelter is gold, but real estate appreciates better.  We have seen this in major cities in Western Europe and North America.

• Upvote 1