The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HOCKEY AS A CANUCK FAN NOT LIKE IT USE TO BE

hockeygod77

OK it was a great win and bo being named captain was awesome..seeing past players was great...but being a nhl hockey fan mainly the canucks my level of excitement has gone down...ive been too many games live and watched hundreds of games on television...at home bars friends etc..i even used to book off work just to see them...now i find hockey has changed too much that the adrenaline just is not there anymore...i use to look forward to match ups where you know there would be some fireworks..good rivalries and intense hockey..just my input the team the nhl builds these days are not as entertaining ....still best sport to watch live or on television but hey just being honest...junior hockey same thing but bang  for your buck its better...

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

NHL hockey has just gotten boring overall past few season gradually. Not just Vancouver, but the NHL as a whole. It's a finesse league now. 

That sucks you feel that way. (Not that I know you personally) but from the standpoint of, I know how sometimes you can start to rationalize things differently which changes how you look at them.. And, of course, tastes change man. Bad timing though as this feels like we are on the cusp of the most exciting season we have had in 8 years!

I have been watching religiously for 18 years and can tell ya that it is just as exciting for me. Not in the same way as it used to be, but exciting, yes. I feel also that the reffing is starting to get a bit better and we are seeing more hits, and with all the talented youth around the league, the games seem more intense.

Anyway, my 2 cents, don't overthink it, I'm sure you'll find another way to be passionate about it, as you said yourself, it's still the best sport out there!

@RRypien37 I thought you were the OP when I quoted you - for reasons that may be in relation to the meme below. That may have been a bit introspective for your brief comment.. LOL!!!

Hey @hockeygod77 the above comment was meant to be directed at you.. FYI, so ya, those are my thoughts. lol

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeygod77 said:

OK it was a great win and bo being named captain was awesome..seeing past players was great...but being a nhl hockey fan mainly the canucks my level of excitement has gone down...ive been too many games live and watched hundreds of games on television...at home bars friends etc..i even used to book off work just to see them...now i find hockey has changed too much that the adrenaline just is not there anymore...i use to look forward to match ups where you know there would be some fireworks..good rivalries and intense hockey..just my input the team the nhl builds these days are not as entertaining ....still best sport to watch live or on television but hey just being honest...junior hockey same thing but bang  for your buck its better...

I TOO AM A FAN OF THE CAPS LOCK FUNCTION

BUT IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION I HAVE BEEN HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY

WHAT IS YOUR PREFERRED METHOD OF ENGAGING ALL-CAPITALS TEXT ONSLAUGHTS?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, 6string said:

Maybe soccer will turn you on   0807-german-field-hockey-butt-fuchs-reddit-005.jpg.858f7519b72900990d5846f92477d5e5.jpg  

In all fairness, he did mention hockey's still the best sport to watch live 

That pic made me lol

Personally I like how it's more of a skill game today. I'd say the demographic at Roger's arena has become worse but the game itself I find more entertaining (last nights crowd was great) 

Also @hockeygod77 thanks for providing and entertaining thread. Cheers! :lol:

Edited by apollo
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

That sucks you feel that way. (Not that I know you personally) but from the standpoint of, I know how sometimes you can start to rationalize things differently which changes how you look at them.. And, of course, tastes change man. Bad timing though as this feels like we are on the cusp of the most exciting season we have had in 8 years!

I have been watching religiously for 18 years and can tell ya that it is just as exciting for me. Not in the same way as it used to be, but exciting, yes. I feel also that the reffing is starting to get a bit better and we are seeing more hits, and with all the talented youth around the league, the games seem more intense.

Anyway, my 2 cents, don't overthink it, I'm sure you'll find another way to be passionate about it, as you said yourself, it's still the best sport out there!

I've been a fan for about 20 years (since I was 8) but the dream is over. MMA has taken over as my #1 sport to follow and it's not even close. Excitement and passion is on another level in combat sports. NHL is just too soft for my liking now. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

In all fairness, he did mention its still the best sport to watch live 

That pic made me lol

Personally I like how it's more of a skill game today. I'd say the demographic at Roger's arena has become worse but the game itself I find more entertaining (last nights crowd was great) 

Also @hockeygod77 thanks for providing and entertaining thread. Cheers! :lol:

Last game i went too was on my birthday some years ago with a few friends, security threatened to kick us out for being "too loud"

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

I've been a fan for about 20 years (since I was 8) but the dream is over. MMA has taken over as my #1 sport to follow and it's not even close. Excitement and passion is on another level in combat sports. NHL is just too soft for my liking now. 

Hockey players have 82 games a year, they practice most days when they aren't playing. On days they play they sometimes even skate... The amount of combat they go through and what they put their body through is extremely grueling. 

Depends who you are... I think if we're talking Petey or Geaudreau then yea sure you can call them soft players... But they can get away with it because they have elite talent. 

But if you look at guys that crash and bang, you could easily argue that they are tougher than any UFC player. Take Edler 2018 for example... 

70 games 150+ Hits... 200+ Blocks 

Last year only 50ish games but similar pace if not higher. 

I like ufc too don't get me wrong but the league is far from soft when one guy alone is getting in front of 200+ shots that are flying at him 80-110 miles/hr... Throwing 150+ thunderous hits... 

The NHL is far from soft... There's plenty of guys in the league that are pound for pound tougher than anyone in the UFC. Wilson, reaves, Kane, the aforementioned fearless Edler, burns, etc... 

Edler could take on Brock Lesnar pound for pound. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

That makes sense. One of my best friends started watching when they were a boy and they have had your sentiment for quite some time now. I was 19 when I started watching so it is my UFC in a way.

I watched UFC the last lockout year, and some summers, when I am in need of some violent competition.. your opinion wouldn't have anything to do with the lack of fighting now compared to what it used to be would it?

26 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hockey players have 82 games a year, they practice most days when they aren't playing. On days they play they sometimes even skate... The amount of combat they go through and what they put their body through is extremely grueling. 

Depends who you are... I think if we're talking Petey or Geaudreau then yea sure you can call them soft players... But they can get away with it because they have elite talent. 

But if you look at guys that crash and bang, you could easily argue that they are tougher than any UFC player. Take Edler 2018 for example... 

70 games 150+ Hits... 200+ Blocks 

Last year only 50ish games but similar pace if not higher. 

I like ufc too don't get me wrong but the league is far from soft when one guy alone is getting in front of 200+ shots that are flying at him 80-110 miles/hr... Throwing 150+ thunderous hits... 

The NHL is far from soft... There's plenty of guys in the league that are pound for pound tougher than anyone in the UFC. Wilson, reaves, Kane, the aforementioned fearless Edler, burns, etc... 

Edler could take on Brock Lesnar pound for pound. 

LOL. Please stop. Going to assume you haven't trained, much less fought competitively in any martial artists discipline. If you had, you wouldn't have made such an absurd statement.  

Edited by RRypien37

25 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I’ve said the same thing about the UFC before as well. I liked it when it was just starting out when it was discipline versus discipline. Now, it’s just the same $&!#, different day. Almost on the level of watching golf for me now.

As per the OPs comments on rivalries, you don’t really get too many strong rivalries when you’ve been out of the playoffs this much. Wait until we are back in the post-season and Seattle arrives on the scene. I really hope they pick up a bunch of guys we already hate.

4 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

That makes sense. One of my best friends started watching when they were a boy and they have had your sentiment for quite some time now. I was 19 when I started watching so it is my UFC in a way.

I watched UFC the last lockout year, and some summers, when I am in need of some violent competition.. your opinion wouldn't have anything to do with the lack of fighting now compared to what it used to be would it?

Lack of fighting, hitting, intensity and passion. At least in my eyes. Just flat out boring. Maybe I've changed, but I feel it's a bit of both.