The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HOCKEY AS A CANUCK FAN NOT LIKE IT USE TO BE

hockeygod77

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Lack of fighting, hitting, intensity and passion. At least in my eyes. Just flat out boring. Maybe I've changed, but I feel it's a bit of both. 

You could say that your taste in competition has become more refined. You like the battle its self.. That's cool man, I can relate.

Did you notice how much SN was switching the camera angle away from the after whistle pushing and shoving yesterday? It was pissing me off.. Game within the game!

I think hockey has gotten better myself. Ive been watching since early 90's .  but just like the end of the season. the same thing gets boring.. and If your team is not exciting and pushing for the cup.. Its hard to stay super passionate.. I am stoked for our new team though. Quin Hughes is the best Dman weve ever had. So its exciting to finaly see some elite talent on our team,. ( yes its early ) .. but I can tell.. .. said the same thing about peterson last year, not the best ever, but definitely a young superstar in the making. And THATS exciting. The game is faster now and skill wins.. Like it should be. the 2011 cup final that was more of a mixed MMA UFC match was absolutely stupid.

1 minute ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

You could say that your taste in competition has become more refined. You like the battle its self.. That's cool man, I can relate.

Did you notice how much SN was switching the camera angle away from the after whistle pushing and shoving yesterday? It was pissing me off.. Game within the game!

That too. They don't even show hits and fights in game highlights anymore. But that is going in line with the overall theme of pussifying mankind as a whole. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

LOL. Please stop. Going to assume you haven't trained, much less fought competitively in any martial artists discipline. If you had, you wouldn't have made such an absurd statement.  

Nope never have. But what hockey players do is more difficult. Skating on ice is a whole other element that's far more taxing on the body. 

I've definitely never got in an MMA ring but could take any one my weight if he wanted to drop the gloves on the ice with skates :)

Also blocking a Puck where u have no padding is way worse than a punch. Way more force. 

32 minutes ago, apollo said:

Nope never have. But what hockey players do is more difficult. Skating on ice is a whole other element that's far more taxing on the body. 

I've definitely never got in an MMA ring but could take any one my weight if he wanted to drop the gloves on the ice with skates :)

Also blocking a Puck where u have no padding is way worse than a punch. Way more force. 

Apollo being someone who has experienced both here is my take on it, in hockey you can take a shift off, you can hide behind a team mate for a moment, your padding offers some protection. In the octagon you cannot take one second of the 15 minutes off! It only takes one momentary lapse of concentration and you get kicked in the side of the head so hard that if it doesn't knock you out...you wish it had. If you lose focus for a fraction of a second your opponent can pop your shoulder out or displace a knee. The threat of severe injury is constant for 15 mins non stop. The professionals are 100%, the most mentally and physically elite athletes ive ever witnessed. Training is 2 to 3 times a day and its a hard graft.

Hockey too takes courage and mental toughness, but they are two different types of athletes, kind of like sprinters and long distance runners, both elite but both different. Hockey does take a different skill to be able to skate, maintain massive cardio, be able to withstand and dish out huge hits and do it over an 82 game season.

They are both tough , courageous and awesome to watch.  

I dont believe one is any tougher than the other, just different

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

OK it was a great win and bo being named captain was awesome..seeing past players was great...but being a nhl hockey fan mainly the canucks my level of excitement has gone down...ive been too many games live and watched hundreds of games on television...at home bars friends etc..i even used to book off work just to see them...now i find hockey has changed too much that the adrenaline just is not there anymore...i use to look forward to match ups where you know there would be some fireworks..good rivalries and intense hockey..just my input the team the nhl builds these days are not as entertaining ....still best sport to watch live or on television but hey just being honest...junior hockey same thing but bang  for your buck its better...

Do you need and intervention or a fix... not sure.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

OK it was a great win and bo being named captain was awesome..seeing past players was great...but being a nhl hockey fan mainly the canucks my level of excitement has gone down...ive been too many games live and watched hundreds of games on television...at home bars friends etc..i even used to book off work just to see them...now i find hockey has changed too much that the adrenaline just is not there anymore...i use to look forward to match ups where you know there would be some fireworks..good rivalries and intense hockey..just my input the team the nhl builds these days are not as entertaining ....still best sport to watch live or on television but hey just being honest...junior hockey same thing but bang  for your buck its better...

Maybe you should stop watching hockey and making threads on CDC? :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe you should stop watching hockey and making threads on CDC? :ph34r:

Maybe its fans like you that have ruined it for me...not sure but i know my sports and i only like the real dealUFC seems like a fun thing to watch but it has no substance..it could be fixed who knows...they fix other pro sports through officiating..too many scandals like pete rose gretzky  wife betting with tochett..etc...just saying growing up a canuck fan it sure felt way more exciting . sure maybe cause i was newt to  it and was younger but really its gone too business like..i want it as real as possible...guys chatting to each other before games...i think john tortarella said whats going on with the small talk before the games and hugging and stuff ...lets be a team thats unliked by other teams..canucks need to be mean at home so teams dread playing at the rogers arena... need more doughty kkatchuk  style games with guys wanting to win and crush each other...passion by the players and really just being the best they can every night....players contributing in different nites not just the goal scorers..

Edited by hockeygod77
  • Wat 1

ok basically i like the game cause it was more unpredictable..still is but you know the rules and business part of things has changed the game..if your losing 8 to 2 like the kings you run a few players late in the third to send a message next game..now its excuses excusess boo hoo boo hoo to the media...it was embarrassing ...better next time...it sucks

Edited by hockeygod77

if you fans like the mitch marner tavares mathews johnny gudreau etc type of players have at it..i like hockey teams with the rouseslls katchik l gallagher  MACKINNON Crosby type players..skilled but tougher...the marchand who i hate but like to watch at times...you guys get it..too many players worried about getting their hair out of place ...

Edited by hockeygod77

6 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

Out-of-playoff teams tends to do that to a fan base.   If Canucks can become a perennial playoff teams again, don't worry, it'll come back.  When you look at our good rivalry teams they are struggling too, LA, Chicago, Edmonton.  

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

NHL hockey has just gotten boring overall past few season gradually. Not just Vancouver, but the NHL as a whole. It's a finesse league now. 

I agree completely, they've taken the more exciting, human aspect out of the game.  I still enjoy it, but there's not much emotion anymore.

Do people still like UFC?

I stopped watching almost a decade ago because it got so boring. No personality and no cool unique styles left. It's so weird you'd make that complaint about the NHL but praise the milquetoast modern UFC.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

Maybe its fans like you that have ruined it for me...not sure but i know my sports and i only like the real dealUFC seems like a fun thing to watch but it has no substance..it could be fixed who knows...they fix other pro sports through officiating..too many scandals like pete rose gretzky  wife betting with tochett..etc...just saying growing up a canuck fan it sure felt way more exciting . sure maybe cause i was newt to  it and was younger but really its gone too business like..i want it as real as possible...guys chatting to each other before games...i think john tortarella said whats going on with the small talk before the games and hugging and stuff ...lets be a team thats unliked by other teams..canucks need to be mean at home so teams dread playing at the rogers arena... need more doughty kkatchuk  style games with guys wanting to win and crush each other...passion by the players and really just being the best they can every night....players contributing in different nites not just the goal scorers..

If the fans have ruined it for you so easily, you should maybe stop being so thin skinned. Maybe you're not as tough as you think you are.

Now i am waiting for the typical online tough guy response....

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

It's what you want out of the game.   If it's violence, sure....but remember, people's lives pay a price in that.  The quality of life AFTER we stop watching the game when families are involved and the after effects settle in.  We've shifted from head shots and while it might take some of the "excitement" out of the game it's for a greater good.  So we sacrifice some things to ensure people don't suffer.  Seems like a fair trade off as we evolve and learn. 

Maybe those just looking for "action" in the way of blood are too one dimensional?  There's a lot more speed/skill involved in an overall way.  

I got a huge thrill from watching Quinn elude the Kings.  Was super exciting...so it's what you're watching for.  I love hockey and nobody can tell me it's not exciting.  Especially after a game like Wednesday night.

It's early in the year....the match ups will reveal themselves over time as things heat up.  Come back in April-May and tell me there are no rivalries or intensity involved.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

if you fans like the mitch marner tavares mathews johnny gudreau etc type of players have at it..i like hockey teams with the rouseslls katchik l gallagher  MACKINNON Crosby type players..skilled but tougher...the marchand who i hate but like to watch at times...you guys get it..too many players worried about getting their hair out of place ...

Uh...and those players are playing?  So didn't you just sort of go against your own topic?

I love the tough guys who want to WATCH others beat up on each other.  Hmmm.  Maybe they've (the real participants, not the ones at home on the couch) had a say in that as they've seen others go drastically downhill when the game's over.

Don't get me wrong...loved Rock 'em Sock 'em hockey (had all the videos).  Gino was a favourite.  But you have to cringe when you realize that some of those blows linger long after we've stopped watching.  These guys with kids who want to watch them grow up and be able to fully participate in their lives...you know, that stuff.  So it's sort of selfish to complain about steps being take for good reasons.  When people suffer, it's no longer entertainment.

Their "hair" is deeper than the surface, as it's connected to their heads.  Those blows sometimes cause big issues.

There are many "workplaces" that change over time as risks are realized.  Guys used to rip apart places full of asbestos, too.  I know one....died of lung cancer.  

So I think it HAD to scale back, even if it takes away from some of the action.

Don't confuse out of the gates October hockey with after Christmas have to make a stand for the playoffs hockey.  It amps up a great deal over the season.  But realistically, teams can't sustain punishing, physical hockey over the duration of 82 games without it taking a toll.   We are a good example of how injury can decimate a team...so it's a fine line of wanting to keep healthy and also be competitive.

• Cheers 1

The NHL product is definitely a different beast than it once was. 

I don't watch nearly as much of it as I once did. 

I will watch when 87 is playing or when EP is, but really, there’s not a lot left that keeps me excited about the game anymore. I can’t recall the last time I watch all 60 minutes of a regular season game. 

The playoffs are still where its at. 

Even then, it’s still different, just a whistle-less version, but with extra liberties. 

The NHL has lost a lot of viewers as it gains its new audience. The trickledown to the CHL and even minor hockey is another boring aspect of the changes I don’t like in hockey. 

Bottom line is, the NHL product has changed. Consumers can pay for and support that product or casually observe or even boycott it completely. At least my Canucks aren’t a bunch of sissies this season, so I’ll pay more... attention. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I agree completely, they've taken the more exciting, human aspect out of the game.  I still enjoy it, but there's not much emotion anymore.

The human aspect is simply realizing these are....humans.  Not just "employees" here for our couple of hours of entertainment.

There was a TON of emotion in the building Wednesday...so I disagree.

1 hour ago, mephnick said:

Do people still like UFC?

I stopped watching almost a decade ago because it got so boring. No personality and no cool unique styles left. It's so weird you'd make that complaint about the NHL but praise the milquetoast modern UFC.

Right?  There's only so much that can happen in "a fight".

Hockey?  It's super creative if you're watching for the sport, not the blood or the board shaking stuff that wakes you up from a nap.  Look how much skill some of these players are bringing...some of the things to watch for are more subtle than a crash into the boards...but equally "thrilling" for some of us.

Aside from the violent aspect of the game.....we didn't have as much years ago.  We're FLOODED with games now and, in the past, there was much mroe anticipation as you waited for games.  With the internet and TV being what they are and with so many options, maybe people are bored with it but that doesn't mean it's boring.  There's a difference.

And if we're in the playoffs I'm going to revisit this thread in the Spring and see if people are still bored with it.  Bad timing for this conversation, as I'm still reeling over a game that took place two days ago.  

Anyhow, 4 responses in a row means I'm likely talking way too much and should just listen now....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Right?  There's only so much that can happen in "a fight".

Hockey?  It's super creative if you're watching for the sport, not the blood or the board shaking stuff that wakes you up from a nap.  Look how much skill some of these players are bringing...some of the things to watch for are more subtle than a crash into the boards...but equally "thrilling" for some of us.  

Anyhow, 4 responses in a row means I'm likely talking way too much and should just listen now....

completely disagree, hits and physical battle brings people out of their seats a lot more than skill does.  I don't care about staged fighting, or even fighting for that matter, but people want to see battles, not rec league hockey

• Upvote 1