The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi should be in the ring of honor.

Rate this topic

CanuckGAME

Should Todd Bertuzzi be inducted into the ring of honor?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, linden17 said:

Strongly disagree. I love the 2011 team but the west coast express era was super skilled, big crashing bodies and a great defence. In my opinion it’s them or the 94 team that was the greatest. Sedins third liners? Come on, man.

The Sedins were just breaking into the league on the 3rd line during the height of the WCE. I don't think they were bashing the Sedins.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Well as I stated, I don't think it should be held against him in the case for induction to the ROH, but I do think he made a mistake. I have no problem with Bert challenging him, but the way he went about it I think was very unwise.

That said, I do also strongly agree that it was Moore's teammates jumping on the back of Bertuzzi under whom Moore was lying that did the majority of the damage. Had his teammates not multiplied the issue, I imagine Moore would've suffered a bad injury, but not a career-ending one.

Regardless, I digress; it was a long time ago.

I really don't think you can go blaming Moore's teammates for any of what happened.  It was 100% on Bertuzzi (well maybe 2% Crawford saying stupid things in the press), the ensuing reactions were all triggered by him. 

This is just rationalization from a fan trying not to feel as bad about what he did.  This is a fairly normal reaction and pretty standard on CDC.  It is afterall a Canucks fan site and you need to be a pretty invested fan to bother with this site.

I am torn on the idea of putting him in the ROH.  

He was an absolutely fantastic player for a brief period.

But I really do believe the Moore incident should tip the scale not just because of the ugly incident that it was but also because it effectively ended the competitiveness of the WCE era.

• Upvote 1

Again, people tend to romanticize his time in Van........a cpl great seasons, but also a lot of floating and underwhelming play with little to no emotion.  I find it ironic that the people who deride Jake seem to have love for Bert, even though almost the exact same complaints thrown at JV were thrown at Bert.  

Doesn't hit as much as he should for a big guy

Low hockey IQ

Has all the tools, but not the drive

Etc etc etc.

I love the WCE era, but if Mo isn't in the ROH, then Bert definitely shouldn't be.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Setting the bar pretty low.

Everybody loved Bert, but this tradition of celebrating mediocrity and retiring guys like Naslund’s number isn’t what the team or even it’s players should aspire to be. The ring will grow and grow until it means literally nothing. 

A 100 point season and a few 80’s gets your number retired here. That’s pathetic. 

no, being the captain and face of the franchise for the better part of a decade as well being the organization's first league mvp gets your number retired. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

no, being the captain and face of the franchise for the better part of a decade as well being the organization's first league mvp gets your number retired. 

He also leads the team in first line all-star selections with three.   He was a point away from an Art Ross and Hart runner up too.   Add to the fact he played almost his entire career in the dead puck era (1995 was the start), he’s done enough for a jersey retirement.   Other teams have lots of numbers retired without any of these accomplishments, he wasn’t just very good for a couple years, he was very good most of his career and elite for three of them.   Elite longer then the Sedins were factually.    His overall numbers suffered like everyone else that played during that time frame - it would be interesting to see how he stacks up overall against all the other players from the time he came to Vancouver until he retired.  

As far as Bertuzzi to the ROH, don’t really have a problem with it either way.   If he’s the low bar then that’s not a terrible standard.   

I got way more chills seeing McLean dressed up and taking a lap .... that uniform looks dynamite.  

Edit:  

For those that don’t remember here’s the list of scoring leaders during that time:

2001-2002

1. Iginla 96

2. Naslund 90

3. Bertuzzi 85

4. Sundin 80

2002-2003

1. Forsberg 106

2 Naslund 104

3. Thornton 101

4. Hedjuk 96

5. Bertuzzi 95

2003-2004

1. St. Louis 94

2. Kovi 87

3. Sakic 87

4. Naslund 84

5. Hossa 82

The year before and after Naslund was also near the top.  We’ve never had a guy on the team finish that high in scoring that many times.   Bertuzzi also has more top five finishes then anyone not named Naslund ... and tied with the Sedins. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Setting the bar pretty low.

Everybody loved Bert, but this tradition of celebrating mediocrity and retiring guys like Naslund’s number isn’t what the team or even it’s players should aspire to be. The ring will grow and grow until it means literally nothing. 

A 100 point season and a few 80’s gets your number retired here. That’s pathetic. 

With Bert its more the way he played, not so much the stats. He was a massive fan favourite.

Massive. I'd say he has as much fan support as Burrows and we roll out the red carpet for him, and he had zero 100 point seasons. 

Not a knock on Burr, love the guy, but the RoH is more than stats.

Edited by 10pavelbure96
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, linden17 said:

Strongly disagree. I love the 2011 team but the west coast express era was super skilled, big crashing bodies and a great defence. In my opinion it’s them or the 94 team that was the greatest. Sedins third liners? Come on, man.

The sedins were the 3rd line on that team. No hate for Hank and Dank here 

It’s great that the fans recognized Bertuzzi for the exciting player he was on Wednesday. I look forward to his radio appearances on AM 650 and I’m happy going forward that  he can have a part in the team. It’s sad there’s still “fans” out there that can’t forgive and choose to dwell on the negative.

Bertuzzi was great !

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

todd-bertuzzi-canucks.jpg

Watching Todd skate out onto the ice the other night in full uniform was honestly the happiest I have felt as a Canucks fan in YEARS.  Goosebumps.

I got to relive a very brief moment of my childhood,  my hero's were Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, Brendan Morrison,  and the rest of the WCE era team.  

Its hard to think of many other players who have touched Vancouver Canucks fans in a way Todd Bertuzzi has.  He was hated around the league,  but he was always OUR GUY. 

I honestly believe he should be cemented as a Canucks legend by having his place in the ring of honor.  And I believe the majority of the fanbase would be in agreeance judging by the enormous ovation he received the other night.  

If you agree he is worthy of a ROH induction,  the best way we can make this happen is by spamming Francesco Aquilinis Twitter to make him aware.   If everyone would take just 30 seconds to write a brief message to push for this,  I think we could make it happen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fr_aquilini

Make sure to  #TODDBERTUZZIROH

Yes

I love Bert, but I have to disagree with the ROH sentiment. He had a few great seasons, but I don't recall him being that monumental to the franchise. The Moore incident definitely hurts as well. If Bert got a ROH nod, then where do we draw the line, because there are sooooo many other guys over the years who would then deserve a nod as well?

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I really don't think you can go blaming Moore's teammates for any of what happened.  It was 100% on Bertuzzi (well maybe 2% Crawford saying stupid things in the press), the ensuing reactions were all triggered by him. 

This is just rationalization from a fan trying not to feel as bad about what he did.  This is a fairly normal reaction and pretty standard on CDC.  It is afterall a Canucks fan site and you need to be a pretty invested fan to bother with this site.

I am torn on the idea of putting him in the ROH.  

He was an absolutely fantastic player for a brief period.

But I really do believe the Moore incident should tip the scale not just because of the ugly incident that it was but also because it effectively ended the competitiveness of the WCE era.

I don't blame Bertuzzi for what happened, it happened and  Moores teammates did have a lot to do with it. if Moore had just decided to fight instead he turtled. he actually caused the whole thing going after Naslund in the first place.  the response on Wednesday night when Bert skated on the ice, showed everyone how well loved he was and yes should be in the ring of honor.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I love Bert, but I have to disagree with the ROH sentiment. He had a few great seasons, but I don't recall him being that monumental to the franchise. The Moore incident definitely hurts as well. If Bert got a ROH nod, then where do we draw the line, because there are sooooo many other guys over the years who would then deserve a nod as well?

What other guys finished top five in scoring twice and also strung together seven good years  for us?  His play changed after the Moore incident - but for a couple seasons he played like Lindros did, swatting defenders away with one arm while skating by the other - it was a treat to watch and we’ve never really had a player like him.   And he got us Luongo...Who else would get the nod if Bertuzzi got in?  Can’t think of anyone...

• Upvote 1

Bert and the West Coast Express was one of the best lines in hockey for a good few years. He was one of the major reasons I am even a Canucks' fan. I think he'd fit right in on the Ring of Honour. I think people are looking at it from a weird position of like games played and utter dominance, which I'd argue Bert was utterly dominant. When you think of that time in Canucks history you think of Cloutier letting in watermelons and Naslund and Bertuzzi for more positive reasons. He was so dominant and recognizable they brought him in to represent that era in Canucks history. That speaks for itself. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What other guys finished top five in scoring twice and also strung together seven good years  for us?  His play changed after the Moore incident - but for a couple seasons he played like Lindros did, swatting defenders away with one arm while skating by the other - it was a treat to watch and we’ve never really had a player like him.   And he got us Luongo...Who else would get the nod if Bertuzzi got in?  Can’t think of anyone...

As many have said, it's not a out stats but rather about franchise and community impact. As good of a player he was for a string of years, he wasn't much more than that for us compared to guys like Burr. Also, getting Lu should have nothing to do with it.

What about Bieksa, Lu, Mogilny, Lumme, Jovo, Etc.? 

I just think Bert wasn't that impactful and that the Moore incident shouldn't be ignored - it was kinda a huge deal when it happened and did tarnish things. Anyways, we can agree to disagree. I'm off to the golf course.

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

As many have said, it's not a out stats but rather about franchise and community impact. As good of a player he was for a string of years, he wasn't much more than that for us compared to guys like Burr. Also, getting Lu should have nothing to do with it.

What about Bieksa, Lu, Mogilny, Lumme, Jovo, Etc.? 

I just think Bert wasn't that impactful and that the Moore incident shouldn't be ignored - it was kinda a huge deal when it happened and did tarnish things. Anyways, we can agree to disagree. I'm off to the golf course.

Bieksa is a good one.   I like Adams and Ronning...Lumme...Jovo and Mogilny too..yes getting Luongo has nothing to do that - it was more meant to show he type of value he still had in the League when he was traded for him then anything, Luongo was considered a top five or even top three goalie by some then...enjoy golf! 

I think enough time has passed and it should be done. 

It didn't end the way Todd or any of us wanted. But Bert was everything you could want in a Canucks player.

My girlfriend at the time and I were in Toronto. She was from Northern Italy and she loved him. I loved the way he and the WCE played. 

I still love how she always used an Italian accent on Bertuzzi's name. Made him sound like a Ferrari. 

I have an autographed picture of Naslund and Todd I keep safe. 

• Upvote 4