The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Hughes isn’t ready

Rate this topic

Alflives

They can play him for 9 games before they actually start burning time off of his contract.  Since New Jersey has a tough time selling tickets, I have a feeling that they're going to keep him in the NHL though.  He really does need to get heavier and stronger.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hughes will find his way. Quinn being on defence means he doesn’t have to see those big defenceman like Jack. Quinn is in more of a sheltered roll but ultimately he will grow and his development will flourish more so than jack for awhile. Of the two I’m glad we got Quinn. 

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Really glad that Quinn played his after draft year in the ncaa.  Gave him a better chance of success in his 1st year of NHL.  The expectations on his brother are so much higher due to his #1 pick

Quinn said that he thought that he improved 5% by taking last year in college.  It doesn't sound like much but sometimes that extra little bit is all it takes.

Petey is struggling a little to start the season. He's the #1 target for D to try to neutralize now so I think we all get it.  But one thing that I have noticed is that he is much better physically and although he's still only 176, he's stronger on the puck.

• Upvote 1

Jack needs to be converted to the wing in order to make it in the NHL.  He's not 200 pounds like Crosby and never will be.  And he's no Gretzky.  With his speed he could dominate on the wing and drive play into the opposing end.  But he needs to play with a big skilled centre to make it work.  He probably would work quite well with BO.  I could see a line of Hughes  BO  Podkolzin.  Hughes can drive the play, BO can set up the wingers and Podz can go to the dirty areas and in the corners and in front of the net to get the loose pucks.  Would be a great complimentary line to  Miller  Petey and  Brock.

Like another poster stated I would wait a couple of years and if they are still using Jack as a centre and he is struggling then we can make the trade.  With Markstrom playing like a Vezina finalist Demko could be on the block next year.  We could add to Demko to make it work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guy on the Devils, Severson, is minus 135 for his career.  Having really immature towards will do that to a D man

Severson’s minus total is because he's a puck moving defenseman who logs a lot of minutes on a garbage team. 

Put Severson on Tampa/Boston/Washington/Nashville/Vegas etc... and he is a plus player easy. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Severson’s minus total is because he's a puck moving defenseman who logs a lot of minutes on a garbage team. 

Put Severson on Tampa/Boston/Washington/Nashville/Vegas etc... and he is a plus player easy. 

That’s what I said.  One way forwards, who can’t play without the puck, hurt the D and the goalie.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ferland does more than just get points.  He’s an intimidating player too.  Jack, unless he’s actually putting up points, is hurting his team.  He is still not man enough to play off the puck.  I think he’s going to be great, but he really should be developing (physically maturing) in the minors.  I’m watching the Bruin’s broadcast and they are saying exactly what I’m repeating.  Jack is overwhelmed playing against men.  The league is rushing their too many of young players. 

Alf, some free life advice from yours truely...

never eeeevvvvveeer listen to boston commentators! Jack E can get a big bag of pucks... colliding with his face...multiple times...for the remainder of life on earth....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I do think he has to put some muscle on but he will be a great player. My first thought when he got drafted was that the Devils would keep him for the 9 games then send him to the AHL or even put him on the wing, being a top 6 centre in the NHL is very hard as a 18 year old. I think having that extra year really helped Quinn and other young players. 

Teams are rushing these players and 3 years later wondering what happened or have given up way too early. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I think it's a bit premature to write off Jack Hughes....

Personally, I was glad to see him end up in the Eastern conference.

It was either NJ or New York. Both of these teams "jumped" in the draft, if I recall.