The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Hughes isn’t ready

Rate this topic

Alflives

He's still young and the Bruins are well, the Bruins. They're a very good team and Bergeron is still one of the best.

He's a fantastic talent and he should adapt eventually, not ever #1 sets the league on fire in his first season. 

Be interesting to see what they do with him though, it's looking like this might be another season of building for the Devils. 

Way too early to write Jack off. But yes, he does seem a bit intimidated playing against big strong men. His size was always a concern, but everyone was saying, oh look at Kane, he’s small but can put up points. While true, Kane has the experience and skill to make up for the lack of size. Jack has skill and skating on his side but needs some experience first I think. Kakko seems to be adjusting better.

I hope for Jack’s sake, that NJ doesn’t try and rush his development. Not every #1 pick can make the jump immediately, and needs to get pro experience first. The Devils are prone to rushing prospects though, like Hirschier. Hope it works out for him. 

On 10/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, Alflives said:

Jack is overwhelmed playing against men.  The league is rushing their too many of young players. 

It's a tough one.

What I saw of him was also underwhelming.

But he's an 18 year old, 168 lb rookie.....

5 games, no points, -3, 68% ozone starts, 35.3% faceoffs....

But 5 games.  Does it matter if he has some growing pains?  Does he have to be 'ready' in his first 5 games?

I'm not sure. 

There's also the business element - and people want to see - and will pay to see - their young stars.

Aside from not producing, his numbers look a lot like EP's last year...

Does he 'develop' better in the AHL?  Not sure.

But whatever - I don't really care.   Quinn is better.  One less guy to compete for the Calder with haha (probably a different story a few months from now though...).

• Cheers 1

On 10/13/2019 at 1:01 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin is a beast compared to little Jack.  Podz is built for the NHL.  Watch him dominate when he gets here.  Hughes will get his points but will get eaten alive in the playoffs.  He is not Patrick Kane.  Benning got the gem of that draft...

That is some solid  homer-ing.  I like it.

• Cheers 1

I've been comparing this past draft to 2011, I see a lot of RNH in Hughes in the sense that they aren't ready to be first year NHLers, both small skilled playmaking centres,  and that if they are rushed their ceiling will dramatically decrease, consensus #1 throughout the year.

I see Kakko being Landeskog, turning out as the more valuable piece in a rugged, big, skilled top line winger with leadership.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, logic said:

I've been comparing this past draft to 2011, I see a lot of RNH in Hughes in the sense that they aren't ready to be first year NHLers, both small skilled playmaking centres,  and that if they are rushed their ceiling will dramatically decrease, consensus #1 throughout the year.

I see Kakko being Landeskog, turning out as the more valuable piece in a rugged, big, skilled top line winger with leadership.

And Podkolzin will be the Mark Scheifele of that draft...

• Like 1

The NHL is a huge jump from the USHL.  Yes, they play some exhibition games against the NCAA, but most of the points that Hughes racked up were against USHL competition.  It will take him some time.  Kid is a good player and will fond his groove eventually, but the size and pace of the NHL is much greater than he has seen before.

We got the better Hughes though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

The NHL is a huge jump from the USHL.  Yes, they play some exhibition games against the NCAA, but most of the points that Hughes racked up were against USHL competition.  It will take him some time.  Kid is a good player and will fond his groove eventually, but the size and pace of the NHL is much greater than he has seen before.

We got the better Hughes though.

The league tends to play their young top picks too early.  Jack could really use a year in the AHL.  

On 10/14/2019 at 2:08 AM, #Canucks said:

Hughes will find his way. Quinn being on defence means he doesn’t have to see those big defenceman like Jack. Quinn is in more of a sheltered roll but ultimately he will grow and his development will flourish more so than jack for awhile. Of the two I’m glad we got Quinn. 

Quinn Hughes is;

> Playing 20 minutes a night, most of any NHL rookie

> With Chris Tanev

> Doing a high % D zone starts

> Against high quality of competition

And we're ending shifts in the offensive zone with possession & pressure.

Sheltered? :huh: 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Watching the USNDT games last year, all of the scoring and winning etc. - that was a stacked team. I didn't like Jack Hughes going #1 for this reason, and felt that Kakko should be taken #1. Jack Hughes was more of a popularity pick IMO, rather than a smart hockey pick. Watching Hughes in those USNDT games, he was brilliant at times, but I had a feeling he would struggle against the big boys in the NHL. Kakko looks pretty good though. It'll take Jack some time, but hopefully not too long for his sake. Once the confidence goes... But, it's all about money, and making lots of it for the Devils org. Send Jack to the farm to develop? Heck no, too much money to be made for the Devils owners, not to mention not wanting to upset the fans expecting to see their #1 play.   

• Cheers 1

Jack Hughes is still going to be a stud guys! He anihilated records put up by guys who will be hall of fame. 

And then there is the physical capacity. Slick, smooth, polished skills on a body with electric agility, speed. Vision, anticipation, deception.

I can't disagree he may have been better served playing a year in college. I don't think its going to change the outcome?

Too good...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

With Hischier injured, Hughes practiced today at C1 between Hall and Palmieri - they play NYR tomorrow.  

Hughes will do way better with wingers who can create space for him.  Hall is the ideal winger for him.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hughes will do way better with wingers who can create space for him.  Hall is the ideal winger for him.  

Hall and Hischier have special chemistry and Hall says he hopes to play every game with him. Hischier is very responsible defensively - he's not sheltered and plays in every situation.  Hughes still has work to do on the d-side and now playing with Hall they can't shelter him as much but at least it's a home game.  

• Like 1