The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

Anyone else's opinion of our Heritage jersey change? They look sharp on the boys 

Honestly, not a fan. With the broad green stripe at the bottom, and re-stylized stick in rink logo, looks like a practice jersey to me. I like the original 1970 blue jersey. Why not use that for the 50th? Really not a fan of the stylized stick in rink, just looks hokey to me.

Edited by arsenalian
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Leivo was BRUTAL tonight. Can't have another game like that with the talent we have sitting in Utica. Can't believe TG had him out in OT.

(Like seeing Petey gets pissed off).

Leivo is to Green as Megna and Chaput was to Willie D.

Edited by the_impersonator13
Spelling
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

Anyone else's opinion of our Heritage jersey change? They look sharp on the boys 

I like the jersey overall but it looks awful on tv. The heavy amount of white in the numbers, logo and collar calls for some around the green to add contrast and balance. It was in the original jersey they're based off so I don't know why it was removed. The 'V's in the arms again would be cool too.

2 hours ago, 1-d said:

Not liking a goal song doesn't automatically make one an idiot.

Baseless name calling could.

I’m too busy yelling and cheering when we score, to notice (or care) what the f’in goal song is.

Sorry 1-D, no offense. That’s more aimed at original poster, complaining about the goal song, not you

Edited by arsenalian
Clarification
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning said Green wanted to go in another direction and that's why they moved on from Sven.  

When I hear that, it just confirms to me that Green is lacking in offensive imagination for his forward lines.

Up and down the wing... lunch bucket hockey.  Shoot it in.  Dump and chase.

No criss-crossing and swapping wings, no drop passes at the blue line, none of the moves which are standard on most NHL teams.

The Canucks have the players with the speed and skill to get creative, but right now Green seems incapable of using that to his advantage.

That is obviously why he got rid of Baertschi and Goldobin... obviously the second of those two was not living up to his promise, but Baertschi deserved a chance.

The only time this team gets creative on the rush right now is from the back end... with Hughes and Myers... which should only be half of the options.

Green is clearly a young coach... he hasn't had the experience to develop creatively and he is relying on what's simple.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brownky said:

I fart in your general direction.

It sucks as HEY HEY HEY HEY a goal song. It's a HEY HEY HEY HEY good song, but as a goal song on that short HEY HEY HEY HEY loop it's... just bad.

Relax dude it's fine. It's just a goal song

Wish everyone would accept we need to see Baer grind it out for a few wks, to ensure his health can hold up. Gotta' be patient with this type of injury/recovery.

I'm imagining a lot of line-combos too. But until mid-season, we're likely to see so many different mixes..& really that's fine, isn't it? It's nice that we have the apparent depth this season to deal with roster losses & necessary adjustments.

Biggest question to me at this point: Will JB make a fairly significant deal before January, to deal with returning bodies?

Just really hope that from about Jan -> onwards, we get a fairly set roster/lines, so everyone gets accustomed to task, familiar chemistry & fully dialed-in.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I agree, but he is being targeted heavily now and he did score last game (off a nice bounce). I think he will pick it up soon matter of time really

Well it’s hard to call it a slump only 4 games in. I was hoping Petey can score 90 points but it seems a bit far-fetched now.

His skills are there it’s just that no one is giving him any time and space and it’s just very hard for anyone to create time and space for themselves without their line mates being super creative With the puck

4 hours ago, khay said:

That 4-on-3 in the OT was poorly run, failing to set up EP for one timer on PP was very disappointing. There was a Flyer parked right in front of him, preventing that one timer but that has been the case since the 2nd half of last season. The fact that our PP coach still hasn't figured out a way to get EP that one timer is very disappointing.  

Every team knows OV is going to let it rip from his zone, and yet, it doesn't stop OV from ripping the puck. With Washington, the play is made down low by Backstrom and Kuznetsov from either side, which makes it hard to predict when the puck is going to make its way to OV. And they have Oshie relaying the puck, who himself has an ability to let it go when the opportunity arises With us, it's predictable when the puck is going to either Boeser or EP as the play is made by the lone defenceman up top in the center (the so called umbrella alignment).

Some tweaks are needed to change the way PP is run to allow EP to shoot with more regularity. Maybe Newell should go with alignment that gave him the most success during the Sedins era. Put Boeser on Salo's spot, EP in Henrik's spot, Horvat downlow (Kesler), Miller relaying the puck in the middle of the ice or moving down low as needed like Daniel did, and Hughes on the left side.

Miller-Horvat-EP

Hughes-Boeser

Hughes can move down and make a cross ice pass to EP for a shot and if EP can't shoot, he can defer it up top to Boeser for onetimer or a wrist shot. Hughes and Boeser can interchange positions as needed to set up for one timer from the left slot. During the Sedin era, that PP alignment became predictable as Henrik can't shoot the puck. But with EP, they have to respect that shot so maybe it will work.

Then the blame should be put on Boeser. Saw many opportunities where Boeser has time and space to rip the puck and not ending up scoring. 

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

It’s time for Hughes to be our powerplay quarter back with Pete and Boes, we drafted him to be the qb let him run it, god knows it can’t get worse

ya that ain't happening with green and brown coaching lol Hughes needs to "EARN" his way to the PP1