The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

All in all, the game was very fun to watch. I’m not a fan of the chipping it out every single play and losing the puck, but the Flyers are a good team and they came out in the 3rd with a lot of motor and determination, and created a lot of turnovers that way. Markstrom saved our butts, but most of the team looked good for a majority of the game. 

i say bump Virtanen to the Horvat line, they played one shift together and it looked good

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Gilles trying to save his ass....

Actually, according to Gillis, the pressure to fire AV was coming from ownership.   Gillis loved AV and wanted to keep him.   Ownership apparently wanted AV gone and wanted a “tough” old school coach that could get the team to implement a more hard-nosed style.    Gillis was not a fan of bringing in Torts at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Actually, according to Gillis, the pressure to fire AV was coming from ownership.   Gillis loved AV and wanted to keep him.   Ownership apparently wanted AV gone and wanted a “tough” old school coach that could get the team to implement a more hard-nosed style.    Gillis was not a fan of bringing in Torts at all.

No disrespect to Green, but I miss AV.... 

• Cheers 2

Watching this game on PVR with SN650 & TSN1040 Post Game shows on ear buds lol

Really impressed with the team overall

I kept a CLOSE eye on Ferland.  I am 100% not worried at all about him.   I feel Ive got a better read of him now and really appreciate the all around power game he brings.   His line was quiet I think due to mostly bad bounces/puck luck which killed any offensive momentum.   That said, I noticed Ferland tonight and if he can get some chemistry going look out.  He's as close to Raffi Torres the Canucks have had in awhile.  

At one point in the 2nd period Green had Virtanen Gaudette Ferland Benn and Stetcher out.   I would love to see him toss these five out more.

Hughes is phenomenal.   

Good to see Boeser shoot more. 

• Upvote 2

Undeserved but gold.

Even if it's the start of the season, you gotta win this game especially against a team that had a long and exhausting trip.

Kudos to the Flyers. They're a good team and they outplayed us in the third.

Thanks to Marky (and Pearson, of course) for the win. I'm a little bit worried because we need to protect him better, the season is long and I don't want to have him tired in March/April.

Edited by ItalianCanuck1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Squamfan said:

petey slump is worrying  me know

The kid has excelled and dominated at every level he has played in. He is a world class talent. He just needs that care free arrogance that he started with. He will catch fire and burn the entire league to the ground. He’s is too good and has too much heart not to.

However, I have no idea why he is not hammering the puck more. He has one of the best shots in the league.

Edited by Canorth

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Leivo missed 10 golden chances

Wonder if Goldy or Baer would have converted at least a couple? 

but we all know that for some reason Green holds those 2 to some level of accountability far higher than he does for Leivo and Schaller 

Schaller played a decent game yesterday but has not been great this year and Levio has been terrible all 4 games 

I posted this after the Kings game...

- move Levio to line 4 or trade him 

- Call up Baer and put him on line 2 

- move Jake to line 3 

- line 4 is Sutter, Beagle Levio/Schaller 

how hard is this to figure out Green? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Jane said:

Totally Agree. Have no idea why he  hasn't been fired. I would have petey one timer that puck like last year. Dont know why that seemed to change.

Don’t even know why they gave him another shot. I don’t imagine that he’s got a very long leash.

Love the stick tap from Benn after Markstrom’s cross-crease robbery of Voracek. Marky was a gangster last night. What a turnaround for him over his career, and his canucks career. From volatile and unpredictable to almost automatic. You could say he’s got the ability to be one of the best in the league now. Needs the run support though.

Pearson had a lot of great looks. It’s obvious he and Bo have great chemistry. Would like to see Boeser play with those two for a few games. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Yes Ownership wanted a hard nosed coach so badly they wanted a guy who needed a bed in his office <_<

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Yeah over two non Playoff teams one in a shootout, a team that travelled three countries. I’m sure he’s crying into his olympic gold medals and Norris trophy, and then maybe When he hears this stuff he plugs his ears with both cup rings.

dude you took that way too sensitively he meant a cup winning core shouldn’t lose 8-2, I get la finished ten points back but they still have their top goalie center and defensemen who won two cups and Vancouver in the last five years combined is dead last in the league coming into that game had scored two goals in two losses.

cant you look at it objectively. A shootout win over a tired team

who outshot us two to one isn’t going to make him cry man.

In other news... man poops in his diaper in response to a win in a hockey game. More on this after the break....

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Squamfan said:

petey slump is worrying  me know

I agree. While he has managed to nab a couple points his last two games, the fact is he's still looking a lot more like the guy from the second half of last year than the guy from the first half. While he needs to start wiring that shot more often, when he does it just isn't hitting any more. And he doesn't have nearly as much space out there either due to teams checking him tighter. I'm worried he doesn't have the power or speed to create enough separation to do his thing.

What annoys me is the typical reaction to these types of concerns. They're either "lol it's only been 4 games" (it's actually been half of last season, all of preseason, plus these 4 games) or "he's smart, he'll figure it out". It's a hand wave to the issue and doesn't address any of the actual concerns. As of this moment there's no precedence for us to believe that he will pull himself out of it. There exists the possibility that this is just the player he is. 

Wow!  We're watching the most motivated, team-oriented Canucks' play in many years.

As a collective grit glitters throughout the roster, some folk here still want the pacifist pair of Bear and Goldy back up?

They won't even dominate in Utica and even Boucher remains Comet's top forward.  Jasek tho .....

But... if you're trashing Leivo, then Zack please. If he can get by Motte or Roussel.

Thanks to Benning, mebbe happy-hour hockey is here again.