The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

You must've set the recording on Sportsnet which was a delayed start. I think due to the MLB playoffs. If you recorded it from CBC, you would've gotten it from the start.

That's exactly what I did—thanks!—I'll make that adjustment for future HNIC games.

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh.. i think our 3rd period is unacceptable.. a team that travelled 10000 miles across continent is out playing us who last played on wednesday?? i mean we played good for 40mins.. but that last 20mins effort is questionable

It's not like they played 3 games in 4 nights.  They hadn't played since Wednesday either.  The Flyers came out hard for the first 5 min or so of the 3rd and we weathered the storm.  Last year we probably folded under that pressure.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

The amount Leivo is being played actually does lend credence to the narrative that they are showcasing him for a trade when Rousell returns. Certainly possible. 

Didn't they try that with Jayson Megna... 

Kidding aside, why boost Leivo, the most we could get is a 3rd.  

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. I have this as an official "steal" for Marky (at least on my scorecard).Agree

2. Pearson continues to look good and so does Hughes. Agree

3. EP picked up an assist and scored a big shootout goal, but he still does not look like he has found his rhythm. I am not sure that the answer is to hesitate less and shoot more. I think EP has to play his game, and his game is built on offensive creativity, although he does have an excellent shot. However, both EP and Boeser are missing too many shot. On good opportunities they are sending more pucks high and wide than last year, when a lot of those pucks went in the corner. It could just be the law of averages, but I think EP has not fully adjusted to his greater muscle mass and that his accuracy and timing will improve, I also expect Boeser to continue to improve. I was more frustrated by off-target shots than by excessive hesitation.

4. It seemed to me that Leivo had a lot of good chances (which is good) but killed most of those chances by mishandling the puck (which is bad). Obviously Benning and Green think he was better than Baertschi, but I can see why a lot of people think that decision is questionable. I admit that Leivo plays with more intensity and I guess that is what they want.

5. I was surprised to see Virtanen credited with only one hit. I thought he made a few good hits and contributed to the physical game tonight, although he continues to disappear at times.  

6. Still disappointed by Ferland. I did not notice many good plays from him tonight and did notice quite a few misplays. According to Corsica he had the worst 5-on-5 Corsi among forwards on the team tonight.  (Hughes had the best 5-on-5 Corsi on the team tonight and the highest expected goals for.)

7. The third period was all Philly, but the Canucks were trying hard, including getting hurt blocking shots (Sutter and Schaller). 

8. The Canucks were fortunate to come away with two points tonight, but there are some good signs. Miller and Myers both look like good additions to the team. 

1 Agree, Marky saved this one.

2 Agree, Pearson for Gudbranson, what a steal by JB

3. Petey, he is no longer an unknown quantity in the league and people know if they give him room the one timer is deadly. I dont think it has much to do with his extra weight or him not being able to play it has more to do with that the other teams are doing to take him out of the play. He gets the attention as the other teams know they must shut him down to be successful. He will be fine but may not be the scorer he was last season. The others on his line need to step up and finish his passes. Petey will still be a great player.

4. Leivo has had a lot of good looks and he hasnt been very successful. He has been good along the boards, and I am not sure Baertschi is the answer to replace him. I am looking forward to seeing Roussell back in the line up and that will be who most likely gets sent down or traded if all keeps going this way. No one picked Baertschi up on waivers, I like the team as is, without him and Eriksson right now.

5 Jake looks better as a third fourth liner where he can use his size and speed to fore check and pressure.

6 Ferland was my biggest reason to respond to your post. He is underweight still due to illness. He is still more effective as a bigger player and will continue to grow stronger as the weeks go by. I dont doubt by 20 games in your opinion might change of him. He will be as advertised once he gets his strength back.

7. The third period was concerning because we sat back and let the Flyers come to us. sooner or later we are going to get the fact we cannot and most good teams do not sit back and try to protect a one goal lead. We lost the most one goal games in the league last season.  Its not necessarily about taking chances to score another goal but we need to continue to get the puck deep and attempt to score rather than try to defend. No dumb pinches, but still try to create offense

8 The team was fortunate to win tonight. Its a one goal game win. putting that point on our side of the table is huge. Marky, Pearson, Petey, Boeser

My favorite moment of the game was when Benn pasted the D man trying to catch the pass on the pinch. Love that, thats been missing a bit. Also Myers going after the guy that pulled his helmet off and Edler stepping into the guy at the point.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Had a lot of chances to finish, I thiml TG likss his work ethic and aggressive for check just no finish today anyways

Can't Miller, Ferland or Virtannen also do that?  

I like Leivo as a bottom six guy.  IDK why Green has him as a top six guy with the winger depth curre9abailable to him.  Work ethic is not enough IMO.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Can't Miller, Ferland or Virtannen also do that?  

I like Leivo as a bottom six guy.  IDK why Green has him as a top six guy with the winger depth curre9abailable to him.  Work ethic is not enough IMO.  

Leivo will nestle in to a bottom six, energy, PK role soon.  

Not going to bother slogging through 16 pages, so apologies if I'm rehashing what others have already said....

Josh Leivo was terrible last night. Looked like the second coming of Tanner Glass, but without any of the physicality. That being said, I have to believe that he's just going through a funk. We've seen what he can do when he's on and I think Green might be just letting him play through it. I was a bit surprised to see him out there in OT, though.

4th line looked really good. The decision to keep Schaller over Baertschi looks pretty good right now, even if it was mostly done for financial reasons.

A bit under the radar, but I love the edge that Jordie Benn has given the defense. With Hughes, Tanev, Stecher and to a lesser extent, Edler on your blueline, you need a guy that plays a no-nonsense, clear the crease kind of game. Really liking the JB signing right now. (You may have noticed that he was the one who basically mugged that Flyers rookie after the crosscheck on Virtanen)

• Upvote 4

After Markstrom, I thought Tyler Myers was the Canucks' best player. He uses his reach effectively and is a much better skater than I had anticipated. Was able to skate the puck out of the zone all on his own a few times. 

A lot of cross-seam passes on the PP. Canucks need to use the down-low option (Bo) a little bit more to suck in the Fwd PKers. That will give Brock and Petey more space. Right now it seems like Brock and Petey are too focused on the cross-ice pass and other teams know it.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

After Markstrom, I thought Tyler Myers was the Canucks' best player. He uses his reach effectively and is a much better skater than I had anticipated. Was able to skate the puck out of the zone all on his own a few times. 

A lot of cross-seam passes on the PP. Canucks need to use the down-low option (Bo) a little bit more to suck in the Fwd PKers. That will give Brock and Petey more space. Right now it seems like Brock and Petey are too focused on the cross-ice pass and other teams know it.

He stood out to me, too.  Just LOVE what he brings to this team.

9 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Was he (Myers) out for 3-3?  I don’t recall seeing him...and if not, why not?