The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah. Watching the game film at practice tomorrow is going to be a tad uncomfortable for Brandon....

...."and here we have our shut-down center getting danced by Matt Niskanen...."

To be fair, Niskanen came out of nowhere at top speed......Sutter didn't really stand a chance.  I don't think it was Suts' best game, but there wasn't much he could do there.

• Upvote 4

I think when it was pointed out that Petey is facing more attention from the opposition, it's not considered an excuse to underperform, but a consideration that should be weighed.

Basically, it's going to take him time to adjust to the opposition, like they adjusted to him 

I think our whole team is in an adjustment and gelling phase 

Well be good!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Didn’t like the opinion I guess.

I guess. It's all semantics anyway. Petey has the chance to eventually become a Sedin-level player and that's just fine by me....

I suppose I just have an issue with the narrative that if you don't think our team's players are eventually going to become first ballot Hall of Famers, you're somehow "cheering" for them to fail.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Yung1 said:

petey will be in the same tier as those guys in a his prime, it's just gonna take him longer to get there. his intelligence, shot, hands, and compete are generational but his body is quite behind and it does hurt him. hes going to really take off at 23-25 imo.

And that's very possible. It took the Sedins about 5-7 years before they really became elite and started to achieve greatness.

I don't think he'll be at Crosby's level, but he will be a top 10 player in my mind. It doesn't mean i don't hope he will be at Crosby's level one day. That would be unreal.

• Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

To be fair, Niskanen came out of nowhere at top speed......Sutter didn't really stand a chance.  I don't think it was Suts' best game, but there wasn't much he could do there.

Yeah. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment. But knowing hockey culture as I do, I'd bet He's going to hear about it anyway.....

• Upvote 1

If Petey can get between 65-70pts this year I call that a success, sophomore year and teams know all about him now. He needs to continue to train hard and gain muscle mass for the next few years.

Also a big reason why I think he should be flanked by 2 bigger wingers, 2 of Miller/Ferland/Virtanen

Really think we need to give Jake a shot in the top 6, last night he was noticeable when he was out there when Bo was. Sven Bo Jake had chemistry back in the day

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Newell Brown the special teams coach?  I don't here him getting praise for the PK, just slag for the PP.  People always negative, and never give credit where it's due too.

Honestly, I don't think the PP has been as bad as the numbers suggest. They've had plenty of possession, but they're not burying their chances. That's on the players, not the ST coach....

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

As much as we all like Tanev playing with Hughes, I would be hesitant to extend Tanev and give him a raise or NMC/NTC. I think Hughes can slide beside Myers going forward and not commit a new deal to an injury prone D like Tanev.

That is just my hope, Tryamkin can come over after his KHL season this year correct?

Tend to agree. I mean I'm fine either way should we decide to keep/extend him and any move would highly depend on the possible return anyway. We're not moving him for a second, for example. But he does have injury history, he's getting up there for today's NHL and we do have a lot of potential incoming depth the next couple years (Tryamkin, Juolevi, Rathbone, Brisebois, Woo etc)

If he keeps playing like this and Hughes (and the rest of the team) keep feeding him the offensive looks he's been getting, it's bound to only do good things for his trade value as well.

Good problem to have either way ;) I look forward to finding out the eventual 'answer'.

17 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Green has STARTED Virtanen in OT some times. Now Leivo gets ice before him? I have to believe its temporary and they're just getting a look, otherwise I'd be concerned.

I honestly don't get it.

14 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Newell Brown the special teams coach?  I don't here him getting praise for the PK, just slag for the PP.  People always negative, and never give credit where it's due too.

Baumgartner is coaching the PK - don't think they've changed it.   He took over the Ds and the PK when he got appointed.  Brown was assigned to the PP. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

Petey being a ' known scorer ' is not a legit excuse. Kucherov/McDavid/Draisaitl/Crosby/Ov etc etc are all ' known scorers ' yet get it done almost every night. Why can't Petey figure it out? He's been in a massive slump.. sure he is young but still not an excuse IMO. 

51 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

As good as Petey is projected to be, he's not at the level of kucherov, mcdavid, crosby etc. Those guys are at a completely different level (generational). If you're expecting Pettersson to be up there with those guys then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Imo Petey will be an elite player in a couple of years but even in his prime, he will be a tier below the Crosby's and Mcdavid's.

I'm going to bookmark these for later down the road.  Petey shouldn't be EXPECTED to be at the level these guys are at in the here and now.

FTR, let's compare these guys at 20 with Petey (who is currently 20):

KUCHEROV:  9 goals, 9 assists

MCD:  Guy's a stud, never mind.....but keep in mind, he had a 10 game scoring slump.  Happens.

DRAISTL:  19 goals, 32 assists

CROSBY:  24 goals, 48 assists

OV:  52 goals, 54 assists (a beast...but also has had consecutive game scoring slumps)

Leave Petey be.  Those guys that he's "not at the level of" are also 2-14 years older...how about let's be fair and check back in when Petey's at that age/experience?   

Let's assess what he is/isn't in comparison to others when it's a fair sample size.

• Upvote 4

For the people disgruntled by Pettersson, use some of your hockey iq and really examine how many times he has the puck and has options to make a play to. If you follow the game as closely as I do, you'll see that players like Boeser haven't been moving quick enough to get  into open ice when they're playing with him. Boeser has hardly been moving off the puck, Ferland wasn't moving off the puck the first couple games, and Miller has been decent but it's easy to shut down when there's only one option. 

Boeser is dragging that line down by not doing the little things he needs to do. They're taking away Pettersson's space because so often they're double teaming him because they can. There isn't another threat they should worry about. 

• Cheers 1