The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last year was no fluke - Markstrom is elite

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

I have been Impressed with Markstroms consistency and cool under pressure play since all of last season I’m sold. 

He was very sharp on the long shots, tricky to find shots tonight against Philly. I kinda wished he stopped the first goal tonight though off the rush it seemed a little bit like he got handcuffed but the saves he did make were top notch and because he knows his angles and plays them well, his game is lock solid. Our team will win as a team this year or because he stands on his head. If we loose it most likely be as a team and won’t be because of his play and that’s all you can ask for in a Goalie IMO. 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Upvote 1

Was surprised on the Flyers 1st goal tonite..thought he lost his net a little(extra short side open). Otherwise he's been lights-out. Also like his mental-preparation. Guys very competitive, & just seems always dialed-in.

I'd like them to sign him 5 yrs/25 mill(maybe about a 10 team NTC, last few yrs). Perhaps trade Demko next season(before ED)

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Elite is a stretch.  He would need to show this level of play for a few seasons before he gets that title thrown his way.  
I am glad he is finally showing his potential.  This is what Gillis saw in him when he traded Luo.  Marky, at the time, was the “best goalie not yet in the NHL”.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Jacob Markstrom is picking up right where he left off.

9.26 Save Percentage

2.23 GAA

He is right in the zone... just like the last half of last year.

So much confidence... using his size, using his glove skills, using his agility.

Way quicker laterally than you'd expect for a guy who is 6'6"... but he is that fast.

And his technical skills are right on.... positioning, knowing where the net is, coming out to cut down the angles.

Everything about his game right now is top class NHL... #9 in the league right now... and that on a team which is only breaking even statistically and which has allowed him to be shelled.

I think he will lead this team this year... Thatcher Demko will find it hard to get a nose in... and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Nice dilemma the Canucks are in again.  B)

If he manages an entire season, I will be a believer and am close now anyways - cautiously optimistic.

A lot of goalies have had good years and parlayed that into a mediocre career (Elliot, Talbot and a half dozen or so guys that have played in PHI since Lindros was there alone).  

A big part of the dilemma is he’s not following the script - Demko is supposedly the next guy...Markstrom on the free market at his age and the way he’s playing I’m sure five or six teams would line up and offer him a five or six year deal at 7 plus million...a ton of goalies in the past have had their best seasons in their late thirties, a few even into their forties -  and one thing going for him is he doesn’t having any past injuries wearing him down.  

Cap space will definitely play a role in what the Canucks do with him...I’m hoping JB can do some magic and keep him for three years - but not sure it will be enough and that we will double down on him with expansion coming up.

Edit:  if he’s still playing like an elite goalie he’d be great trade bait at the deadline... and he will get paid like one next contract for sure.

Edited by IBatch

I remember when he used to look clumsy awkward getting caught out of position.  

Markstrom is fully becoming a top 10 goalie. Sample size is still small, but I’m sure if he stays healthy, he’ll be planted in tier 1 of the leagues best by seasons end. 

Tier 1

Vasilevski

Bobrovski

MAF

Price

Rinne 

Gibson 

Tier  2

Bishop

Markstrom

Dubnyk

Lehner

Rask 

Holtby 

Tier 3

Hart

Binnington

Grubauer 

Hellebuyck 

Tier 4

Smith

Rittich

Crawford

Quick

Jones

Lundqvist 

Murray

Mrazek

Kuemper

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Jacob Markstrom is picking up right where he left off.

9.26 Save Percentage

2.23 GAA

He is right in the zone... just like the last half of last year.

So much confidence... using his size, using his glove skills, using his agility.

Way quicker laterally than you'd expect for a guy who is 6'6"... but he is that fast.

And his technical skills are right on.... positioning, knowing where the net is, coming out to cut down the angles.

Everything about his game right now is top class NHL... #9 in the league right now... and that on a team which is only breaking even statistically and which has allowed him to be shelled.

I think he will lead this team this year... Thatcher Demko will find it hard to get a nose in... and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Nice dilemma the Canucks are in again.  B)

Agreed.  

Marky is amped and ready night in and night out.  Don't mind at all that we have a goalie that is making it hard to take his job away.  

13 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

GMMG, see 5 years later he put it together.  

Solid goalie development has been the one constant throughout multiple 'regime changes' with this organization.  A true source of strength.  Don't believe the 'goalies graveyard' BS quote from Burkie.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

I do think if Markstrom had an elite defence like Tampa bay he would be in the running for the Vezina. Some People on CDC might disagree but I don’t care. He’s been that good for a year now.

TBay has Hedman.  Their D in pretty average without him, as evidenced in their playoff losses.  

Our D is quite good.  We have Edler, Myers, Hughes, Tanev, Benn, Stecher as our top six.  Hughes is a phenom, who makes our D all the better.

Marky is playing great too.  Ian Clarke is a genius. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Solid goalie development which has been the one constant throughout multiple 'regime changes' with this organization.  A true source of strength.  Don't believe the 'goalies graveyard' BS quote from Burkie.

This team post Kirk McLean really was a goalie graveyard.

Raycroft

Weekes

Snow

Potvin

Hedberg

Irbe

Skudra

There's probably more... But there was a time

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3